America's Cup 2013  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Louis Vuitton Challenger Series?

• Artemus Racing, SWE
    • Emirates Team New Zealand, NZL
    • Luna Rossa Challenge 2013, ITA
  2. 2. Who will Defend?

• Oracle Team USA, 'Team Ainslie', USA
    • Oracle Team USA, 'Team Spithall', USA
  3. 3. Who will Win America's Cup 2013?

• Oracle Team USA, USA
    • Artemus Racing, SWE
    • Emirates Team New Zealand, NZL
    • Luna Rossa Challenge 2013, ITA

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Race 6 to Team NZ...and its Hump Race victory, we are over half way there! :D

Ray Davies talking about how even these boats are even and that its all in aggressive tactics. Conceeding Oracle are good at starting.

Getting ready for the second race of the day, Race 7...and no one can back out of it!

Race 7 dial up...Oracle good at this.

Team NZ really bad at starting but a brillant start this time at Mk 1, very close.

Neck and neck to Mk 2, very close.

Close around mk2 for the up wind leg. Both teams still having to work but Team NZ gaining on its small lead.

Unless malfunctions happen, I believe Team NZ cannot be caught now.

Oracle, nothing short of cheating, need answers and need them fast.

Oh and Len Brown, mayor of Auckland, has asked for a stocktake of streamers, ticker tape, and balloons as well as preparing City Care for a mega street party on a scale of 1995s victory parade.

Unless malfunctions happen, I believe Team NZ cannot be caught now.

Oracle, nothing short of cheating, need answers and need them fast.

Oh and Len Brown, mayor of Auckland, has asked for a stocktake of streamers, ticker tape, and balloons as well as preparing City Care for a mega street party on a scale of 1995s victory parade.

I agree. It will be amazing for New Zealand if we can bring the cup home. Team New Zealand just dominant really. But we still have to win 3 more races so fingers crossed.

Amazing news for NZ.

But as has been mentioned before, can Auckland be bothered? And is it as ready for the event as it was a decade ago, now the Viaduct is a very different place.

It might be blind idealism, but it would be wonderful to have it staged in Lyttelton- give Canterbury a good shot in the arm.

Amazing news for NZ.

But as has been mentioned before, can Auckland be bothered? And is it as ready for the event as it was a decade ago, now the Viaduct is a very different place.

It might be blind idealism, but it would be wonderful to have it staged in Lyttelton- give Canterbury a good shot in the arm.

In an ideal world...but no, and Lyttelton really is a ruin at the moment...

Auckland will host the main regatta, as mentioned further back, has three really good spots short listed. As with SF, racing will be in the downtown habour area. Facilities will be like SF as the new formula doesnt call for the expensive permanent bases of old. Even Team NZ is moving out of its old base.

The AC 45 Racing Series will still move around the world, and Wellington is vying to host one.

Like most here, the AC 72 class has grown on me. Now we know how to handle them, they will be easier and cheaper to operate next time if they are chosen...wether it be Auckland or San Francisco (not getting ahead of ourselves here just yet).

I'd say Auckland can most certainly be bothered. It is whatever happens, and always will be, the City of Sails.

The support of Team New Zealand has ramped up over the last month, and the visuals of all those Kiwis who have gone over to SF is amazing, they are flooding the piers.

So most certainly would be an Auckland hosting if the cup is won, also the factor is that officially Team New Zealand is racing this under the flag of the Royal NZ Yacht Squadron (which is an Auckland Yacht Club).

In any case, I'd be against a defense in Canterbury. I really just don't see how it would make any sense taking an event like the Americas Cup away from the bulk of the population and our boat building industry.

While the Viaduct has been turned in to an entertainment precinct , void of those cup bases, there is a large development plan for the Auckland waterfront, an America's Cup will be a fantastic opportunity to speed up some of the process.

The current favourites for development are a Wynyard Point development, or an extension of Halsey Street near the Viaduct Events Centre,

There are some noises of using Captain Cook Wharf, which would take it further into the cbd, but I don't see that happening.

Queens Wharf would again be used as a major entertainment hub around Shed 10 and the Cloud, much like during the RWC.

I'd go for Wynyard Wharf. I think going over the other side of Wynyard Point is too soon for a defence, you'd have to go through a still developing area, whereas Wynyard wharf would be still in good distance to North Wharf. Halsey Street would be an attractive option, but I know development plans for that are still a few decades away.

I don't know how many people here have ventured to Auckland lately, but the area past Te Wero Island and into The Wynyard Quarter is really quite nice, a different feel to the Viaduct Basin. Some great restaurants along North Wharf (the RWC was the event which sped up this development), and some neat little laneway areas being developed as well. The ASB band recently opened up their hq down there, so there is some good architecture going around that area too.

What format the Cup will take, again, it's still up in the air. I know the Oracle team want to start up a franchise based annual world series - however Team New Zealand hasn't come out in favour of this (nor have they dismissed the idea).

Here's a good overview of the different areas of Waterfront Auckland

AreaofOwnership-new_1.jpg

Listening to James Spithall at the post race conference...There is still very much alot of fight left in Oracle.

A rather sinister scenario that has been mentioned by Steve Tindall, a major TNZ supporter, is that Spithall could become over aggressive in the start sequence and ram the TNZ boat. As far fetched as that may seem, it will not be the first time such a tactic has been used in Cup racing. When you have a ruthless boss breathing down on you, you will give anything a go.

Oh there is certainly going to be a lot of life left in this team and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they picked up a race or two , but short of mishap, I don't see them doing it enough to win.

I'd hope that view doesn't come in to play, let's hope if he was instructed to do such a thing, that he would remember the huge outpouring of generosity that he and his Young Australia crew were given by the Auckland public back in 2000.

THey turned up to the regatta flat broke and I remember quite clearly how the NZ public really did take them to heart, donations of groceries were being delivered to their base every day, outfitted with new shoes, bikes to get around the village etc etc.

I think Spithall is too good a sailor to do something like that ........ I hope.

It certainly has been a nice outlook that we've been getting every day with the bridge, Alcatraz and the skyline.

As a side note, if NZ does win this Cup, I think we can possibly expect to see some kind of lead up event being held in Dubai as well - due to the heavy sponsorship from Emirates. I know way back there was talk by some within Dubai that they could host a defense if ETNZ won, however that was quickly guzumped by the NZ Govt and Team New Zealand.

Ominous as it may seem, Dubai could create a team and they have a wallet Larry Ellison would envy. And guess what team they' ll poach first, hence the need to bring back nationality rules.

Also expect a team from Austria - Red Bull.

If Oracle does the unthinkable, then this will happen.

Got no problem with the AC 45 series going this way though. Mores the better for the class to get it into the Olympic sailing program for 2020 or 24.

Archived