America's Cup 2013  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Louis Vuitton Challenger Series?

• Artemus Racing, SWE
    • Emirates Team New Zealand, NZL
    • Luna Rossa Challenge 2013, ITA
  2. 2. Who will Defend?

• Oracle Team USA, 'Team Ainslie', USA
    • Oracle Team USA, 'Team Spithall', USA
  3. 3. Who will Win America's Cup 2013?

• Oracle Team USA, USA
    • Artemus Racing, SWE
    • Emirates Team New Zealand, NZL
    • Luna Rossa Challenge 2013, ITA

Gotta feel for Luna Rossa though...they really do try their best, but they are just too slow in their tactics. The boat is fast but its all about crew work...This is the absolute edge of the yachting world, there is nothing out there in front of the Americas Cup. Even the Volvo Around the World takes its cue from technology gained in this event.

Agreed!

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look back into the torrid history of this event, you will always a team thats a stayer even if they are unsuccessful, this is our Luna Rossa today. Its all about financial endurance...Team New Zealand and its predecessors came close to folding twice, in 1992 and 2003.

You simply need to hang in there if you believe...Just ask Sir Thomas Lipton, never won it against filthy rules but encouraged others to try.

RACE 8 getting ready to go somewhere out there in the fog!!! Ergh...

Wind at code zero so we will see the big sails working with the wing.

Luna Rossa has fudged the start! Team NZ away to collect the Louis Vuitton Cup...

Up go the huge code zero sails.

Fog horns blasting in the background.

TEAM NEW ZEALAND IS THE 34th CHALLENGER FOR THE AMERICAS CUP.

A couple of pats on the back...but not too much celebrating, we have only made it to "Base Camp".

Now New Zealand, its time to get nervous.

There really is a sense of unease and business like attitude at the TNZ camp. No nonsense is the approach...Some over zealous Kiwi fans have rocked up to the compound and found out the hard way...Security turning them around rather smartly.

Grant Dalton has downplayed winning the LV Cup as little more than the official ticket to next month's event.

Media have been told NOT to overhype reporting and the team have zipped up tight about what is hidden in the shed.

On a positive note, Prada is staying on to help TNZ with tactics on the water...A very generous gesture, as at $400k a week to run on basic operating cost alone, syndicate teams are not cheap.

All business......Kiwi style. Fast boat....well deserved.

9087940_600x400.jpg

...so what exactly is in the shed? <_<

p.s. I wouldn't worry about Bertelli's pocketbook. ;)

Never you mind about whats in the shed... ;)

There really is a sense of unease and business like attitude at the TNZ camp. No nonsense is the approach...Some over zealous Kiwi fans have rocked up to the compound and found out the hard way...Security turning them around rather smartly.

Grant Dalton has downplayed winning the LV Cup as little more than the official ticket to next month's event.

Media have been told NOT to overhype reporting and the team have zipped up tight about what is hidden in the shed.

On a positive note, Prada is staying on to help TNZ with tactics on the water...A very generous gesture, as at $400k a week to run on basic operating cost alone, syndicate teams are not cheap.

I really have been impressed at the good natured competition that Team NZ and Luna Rossa have displayed, I guess every since the development agreement was signed a few years ago.

This was posted , a *mock protest* on the Team NZ website, from Prada.

Sent: Sunday, 25 August 2013 2:01 p.m.

To: AC Jury

Subject: Luna Rossa protests against Team New Zealand

Dear David,

Luna Rossa protests against Team New Zealand for speeding while sailing todays race and crossing the finish line at more than 40knts!

We will however withdraw the protest immediately if they undertake to take the XXXIV America's Cup from the Defender!

Luna Rossa desires to the Challenger good winds and the best of luck!

It has been a pleasure to compete against you.

Luis

Luis Saenz Mariscal

General Counsel

I'm well looking forward to the upcoming defence/challenge, it's going to provide some fantastic racing.

And must say I did enjoy parts of that final race in the LV Cup, we saw some old school Americas Cup match racing, some fantastic gybing, and a real cat and mouse style pre start in the dial up box. Was good to see.

The New Zealand Herald today had a short piece on possible sites for a future Americas Cup Defence if TNZ was successful. Whilst I agree with Alex that a mega facility akin to the Viaduct Harbour of 2000/2003 would not be needed again, I can't help but think that due to Auckland's reputation for arsing about in development, we do have to take the opportunity of major events when they come, to regenerate (or at least quicken the speed of regeneration plans) parts of our waterfront.

Wynyard Quarter was always going to be done, but I think the RWC 2011 certainly helped us get that stage done alot quicker.

Waterfront Auckland is exploring six waterfront locations in the event Team New Zealand win the America's Cup and bring the Auld Mug back to the City of Sails.

The council body has started thinking about where the team compounds and a race village would be with an eye to triggering some new development.

Apart from locating the race village at Queens Wharf - party central for the Rugby World Cup - the other five sites would require significant work and financial investment.

They include building a new marina within Westhaven marina, a sheltered compound at the tip of Wynyard Quarter, Wynyard Wharf, a wharf extension to Halsey St and Captain Cook Wharf.

The Viaduct Harbour, which hosted Team New Zealand and racing syndicates for the 2000 and 2003 defences of the Cup, has no space for syndicates. Even the Team New Zealand base, off Halsey St, is earmarked for a hotel development.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11114768

Of course, it's also worth thinking about what another AmCup would be like in San Fran. What would be done differently.

Surely both Auckland and San Fran will revert back to the mono hulls though, and an effort made to encourage more challengers.

Saw the artical about where to place the village. Both ETNZ and Prada have permanent bases, a legacy of the previous Cup era.

As for the Prada v Team NZ relationship, its always been good natured...If NZ wins, expect Prada to be Challenger of Record.

As for the future...They will not be going back to monohulls. But will revert to the AC45s...if the AC60 class are not developed.

I really think one of the keys that SF has lacked, is the fact that the local populous has struggled to engage with the home team, and that is what made the 2 Cups held in Auckland go down so well.

I don't think alot of internationals quite understand that despite all of the international sponsors, Team New Zealand is very much a Kiwi team (I think all bar a couple of Aussies). That runs from the grunters grinding, the afterguard, the boat builders etc etc.

Add to that , that back in the LV Cup in Auckland the public really took to the charismatic Italians, the support for them was imense.

For this Defense to have gone off, the locals needed to see a red white and blue team to support, when in actual fact, Oracle is going to be skippered by an Aussie (with a Brit as a back up), is lead by a Kiwi CEO, and whose team is made up of international sailors. I think there's only maybe 2 Americans on the first boat.

Take it away from the Billionaire, and give the public something to believe in, it will help the regatta big time.

Which is why whoever wins next time, really does need to introduce a nationality rule on the boats.

Im sure cup the start of the Cup the atmosphere will rev up to a degree, but apart from the spectacle of the racing, why would anyone want to support Larry Ellison? Gees, at least Team Dennis Connor was far more believable.

This is Russell Coutts' doing...The creation of a Formula One event in yachting. Teams that are corporate branded and habe international crews. Eventually the likes of Red Bull will show up. The big money is where the likes of Larry Ellison come in. Hard to believe Mclaren Racing was once a New Zealand team.

I would like to see nations rule apply, but this will only happen if the TeamNZ/Prada cabal wins.

Still, to get the atmosphere of Auckland and Valencia, you need to get the masses excited. The AC45s nearly had it, but as we know, the 72s were just too expensive to afford.

:) If you want to get a taste of what might have been, the Youth Americas Cup is underway with the AC45 class. Full on fleet racing with under 21s. NZ, Sweden, USA, the main performers. Looks fun with youth, imagine what it will be like with big boys.

Oh and the IOC is watching...they are very interested in the class being the main attraction for the future yachting program.

NZ takes race two.

Still awaiting a verdict on the Oracle cheating debacle...a lot more serious than I thought.

Oracle could start with a two point penalty meaning it will need to win eleven races to retain the Cup, over ETNZ, who only have to win nine to take it back.

AND CONFIRMED! 0750NZST.

Five team members have also been banned from some races in the coming event. One ordered off the Americas Cup venue immediately.

Oracle has been fined $200 000US.

Docked two points so they start this Saturday already behind.

Further sanctions by the international yachting federation is likely and will include the IOC being involved.

Already the traditional intriugue that surrounds the off water BS is taking over with "scape goats" being bantered about.

Americas Cup 34 is aready a dead event...This simply buries it, even if Oracle win, which is still very likely, the good feeling is gone.

Archived