Books

Some of the books I had read:

Thomas Mann - Buddenbrooks (one of the best books in German)

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord Of The Rings

Michael Ende - Die unendliche Geschichte (The Neverending Story)

S.S. van Dine (most of his Philo Vance books - but this is the best one:) - The Green Murder Case

Mary Roberts Rinehart - The Album (one of my most favourite books - I think I have read it nearly ten times)

Karl Adolf Scherer - 100 Jahre Olympische Spiele (the history of the Olympic Games)

Rupert Kaiser - Olympia Almanach (factfile of the Summer Olympics)

Rupert Kaiser - Olympia Almanach Winterspiele (factfile of the Winter Olympics)

(...)

Karl Adolf Scherer - 100 Jahre Olympische Spiele (the history of the Olympic Games)

Oh, those sound interesting - I don't know them yet. Can you recommend them?

Regarding Olympic books, I've read "Das Olympia-Buch" (which was issued by German Olympic broadcaster ARD shortly before the Athens Games and looks back on all Summer Games from 1896 to 2000), former Olympic ice skater Rudi Cerne's books about the Sydney, Salt Lake and Athens Games and after his book series ended, I've bought and read the books of Swimming Olympic Champion Kristin Otto and former GDR sportscaster Heinz Florian Oertel about the Torino, Beijing, Vancouver and London Games. So they are rather commemorative Olympic books than scientifically researched ones.

Besides, I like to read biographies and autobiographies and funny books. The last book I read was The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared which was very amusing and charming and which I can therefore highly recommend. Read it before the film about it opens! ;)

The last autobiography I read was the one by legendary newscaster Walter Cronkite - in its English original (it hasn't been published in German anyway ;)).

Oh, those sound interesting - I don't know them yet. Can you recommend them?

Yeah - it is a pity that they stopped to release after every Olympic Games a new editions of the almanachs - the 100 Jahre Olympische Spiele by Scherer is great to read - you can get the books on amazon.de...

Karl Adolf Scherer - 100 Jahre Olympische Spiele

Rupert Kaiser - Olympia Almanach

Rupert Kaiser - Olympia Almanach Winterspiele

Another interesting book is:

Lennartz - Olympische Siege, Medaillen, Diplome, Ehrungen

I really wish I had more interest in books. I read the Great Gatsby in high school and I love it, I'm so excited for the movie.

I know that book :)

interesting story

Thomas Mann - Buddenbrooks (one of the best books in German)

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Lord Of The Rings

Michael Ende - Die unendliche Geschichte (The Neverending Story)

S.S. van Dine (most of his Philo Vance books - but this is the best one:) - The Green Murder Case

Mary Roberts Rinehart - The Album (one of my most favourite books - I think I have read it nearly ten times)

do you like more book or movie The Lord of the Rings?

I had to read many book for school

Here are some of them

Bridge on the Drina, Ivo Andric (i recommend this, great book)

this is not book, this is story but still great, Aska and the Wolf, Ivo Andric

Le Pere Goriot, Honore de Balzac
Antigone, Sophocles
Epic of Gilgamesh
Hamlet, Shakespeare
Faust, Goethe

Eugene Onegin, Pushkin

The Overcoat, Gogol

Crime and Punishment, Brothers Karamazov, Dostoyevsky

The Stranger, Camus

The old man and the sea, Hemingway

Waiting for Godot, Samuel Beckett

II Canzionere, Petrarca

Read Catcher in the rye, Power of one, he Alchemist. To kill a mockingbird is pretty much done in every school in Australia haha. Also harry potter and i'm a huge hunger games nut.

We had to watch the Power of One movie.

do you like more book or movie The Lord of the Rings?

I think a book is always better than a movie. When you read a book you imagine yourself how everything looks like.

The movies are very good - my favourite one is "The Fellowship", since it shows the atmosphere of the book best.

Back to the topic - I didn't mention in my list, which books I read in school...

Haha, how everyone now feels obliged to mention their high school literature - after pcelica posted that astonishing list of hers. ;)

So, in order not to appear too stupid myself (;)): Of my school literature, those books I can remember off the top of my head:

Friedrich Dürrenmatt: The Physicists (in German: Die Physiker - that was the book I enjoyed most of all my school literature)

Friedrich Schiller: The Maid of Orleans (in German: Die Jungfrau von Orleans)

Jean Anouilh: L'Alouette/The Lark (in German: Jeanne oder Die Lerche)

E.T.A. Hoffmann: Mademoiselle de Scuderi (in German: Das Fräulein von Scuderi)

Mario Delgado Aparaín: Alivio de luto (in Spanish)

In Goethe's case, I astonishingly can't remember reading more than a few poems of him at school. Maybe I'm wrong, but we didn't even read "Faust" (I remember that our school's theatre group performed "Faust", though - and that I watched that).

Oh, and in my English class, we read film literature at first, namely "Dead Poets Society" (the book that was written by Nancy H. Kleinbaum after the film) and Bernard MacLaverty's "Cal" (the book that was the base for the homonymous film starring Helen Mirren and John Lynch) - and later on we read Shakespeare, of course, namely "Macbeth".

In elementary school I remember reading The Hatchet, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Hobbit, The Pigman and The Outsiders.

In high school,

To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet, Beuwolf, the Illiad and the Odyssey

Lord of the Flies, Julius Caesar, The Oldman and the Sea

Who Has Seen the Wind (referenced in the Vancouver OC), Hamlet, Death of a Salesman, Fellowship of the Ring

The Stone Angel, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Great Gatsby, King Lear, The Moon is Down, Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men and Cannery Row

I had the same English teacher for 3 of the 4 years and she cut a lot of the grammar stuff (no need to make jokes Krow) and put in more literature.

In university I had to re-read the Illiad and the Odyssey, read two anthologies of Egyptian and Mesopotamian poetry, Gilgamesh

Other things I've read include the Percy Jackson series, Harry Potter, Les Miserables, about a dozen Shakespeare plays. The most recent book I read not as part of a series was The Art of Fielding.

I don't read a lot. I am trying to read more.

Jeez, school's been so long ago. Probably what we considered modern is now classified as "classics".

Hmmm. Let's see. It's the type of list where I'll be remembering things I've forgotten over the coming weeks. Immediately of the top of my head:

To Kill a Mockingbird

Catcher in the Rye

Brave New World

Catch 22

Under Milkwood

Geat Expectations

The Great Gatsby

Lord of the Flies

Sons & Lovers

Return of the Native

Wuthering Heights

Jane Austin: Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion

Shakespeare: Hamlet, Othello, Midsummer Night's Dream, Macbeth

These days mostly read sci-fi (not really into fantasy, though, apart from Tolkien) and thrillers.

Oh yea, I like the Lincoln Lawyer series and the Hunger Games.

And I forgot I had to read a good chunk of the Bible for a university class. Oh G-d that was one enternaining fortnight. You had the theists vs the atheists. It was like trash TV.

As for what attracts me to read something. I like reading classic novels, the kind of stuff that has inspired movies/recent books because it makes it more enjoyable when you read some of the stuff and can see the allusions and connections that a author is trying to make.

In high school so far I have had to read:

The Catcher in the Rye

Romeo and Juliet

Twelfth Night

Life of Pi

To Kill a Mockingbird

of those book, we only had to read Rome and Juliet :D

Not much of Enlgish tough, more French and Italian

i see many of you mentioned To Kill a Mockingbird, how is that?

I think a book is always better than a movie. When you read a book you imagine yourself how everything looks like.

The movies are very good - my favourite one is "The Fellowship", since it shows the atmosphere of the book best.

Back to the topic - I didn't mention in my list, which books I read in school...

You are right, but sometimes and movie can be better

anyway, there are more examples of bad movie, Anna Karenina :wacko: , they showed it as a stupid love story and the book is actually social critics :D

Haha, how everyone now feels obliged to mention their high school literature - after pcelica posted that astonishing list of hers. ;)

So, in order not to appear too stupid myself ( ;)): Of my school literature, those books I can remember off the top of my head:

Friedrich Dürrenmatt: The Physicists (in German: Die Physiker - that was the book I enjoyed most of all my school literature)

Friedrich Schiller: The Maid of Orleans (in German: Die Jungfrau von Orleans)

Jean Anouilh: L'Alouette/The Lark (in German: Jeanne oder Die Lerche)

E.T.A. Hoffmann: Mademoiselle de Scuderi (in German: Das Fräulein von Scuderi)

Mario Delgado Aparaín: Alivio de luto (in Spanish)

In Goethe's case, I astonishingly can't remember reading more than a few poems of him at school. Maybe I'm wrong, but we didn't even read "Faust" (I remember that our school's theatre group performed "Faust", though - and that I watched that).

I am still student, so i don't have much time to read on my own, since i have to read all the time for school

Our teacher very potentiate Faust, we had to do detailed analysis. I remember doing some poetry of Schiller. And of course we did Loreley :D

But German philosophers and their work are much more potentiade than Faust, especialy Kant and Nietzscher, actually all German classical philosophy in general.

Did you like Dead Poets Society? We watched a movie on literature class, i liked their accent :D

Jeez, school's been so long ago. Probably what we considered modern is now classified as "classics".

Hmmm. Let's see. It's the type of list where I'll be remembering things I've forgotten over the coming weeks. Immediately of the top of my head:

To Kill a Mockingbird

Catcher in the Rye

Brave New World

Catch 22

Under Milkwood

Geat Expectations

The Great Gatsby

Lord of the Flies

Sons & Lovers

Return of the Native

Wuthering Heights

Jane Austin: Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Persuasion

Shakespeare: Hamlet, Othello, Midsummer Night's Dream, Macbeth

These days mostly read sci-fi (not really into fantasy, though, apart from Tolkien) and thrillers.

how is Pride and Prejudices? I plan to read it, it's a well known classic today :)

Did you like Dead Poets Society? We watched a movie on literature class, i liked their accent :D

I quite liked it, but it wasn't the favourite book/film of my school years. Well, their accents were actually pretty standard American English ones, if I recall correctly. Or was that what was so special for you? I'm used to interviews with movie stars on TV, to CNN and YouTube clips from American TV shows, so American English is not so new to me anymore. ;)

Love reading, perfect bedtime relaxer.

Back in the day at high school, we were all into Paul Jennings books, and then later on, the Tomorrow When the War Began Series. In terms of class reading, the usual suspects - the classics and the like.

Now, Im really into historical based novels, or historical biographies.

I'm very impressed by Robert Harris and all of his books, particularly those based on Rome.

His Cicero series comprising of Imperium and Lustrum (with the 3rd to be released soon) are two of my favourite books. He's also done a good one about the days leading up to the events of Pompeii (Pompeii).

Beijing Coma by Ma Jian is a fantastic read and another favourite.

I'm very impressed by Robert Harris and all of his books, particularly those based on Rome.

His Cicero series comprising of Imperium and Lustrum (with the 3rd to be released soon) are two of my favourite books. He's also done a good one about the days leading up to the events of Pompeii (Pompeii).

Love those too. Glad to hear there's another coming.

Love those too. Glad to hear there's another coming.

I think I've read those first two maybe 10 times each. Such an easy relaxing read .

There is a third, but it's been coming for a while, but supposedly it's this year.

Archangel and Fatherland are pretty decent aswell from him.

Archived