Blasphemy laws on Gamesbids

Hi mod,

I'd like to know why you deleted a thread which I started in which we were having a mostly civil discussion on how Turkey's recently enacted Islamic laws may affect their international perception. It might not be completely relevant but we've had threads on crime in Rio which weren't deleted, threads on London's riots which weren't deleted etc.

If you didn't like Baron's posts in that thread, some of which were close to the mark, why not just delete those? You've always shown incredible leniency in moderation before.

I wouldn't mind but I spent a fair amount of time writing some of the posts in that thread. I know I spent an hour writing one of them, when I was debating with runningrings (who I'm sure wouldn't have wanted the thread deleted either even though he disagreed with my point of view).

I would've PMed you, but it seems this is relevant to the whole forum - should we bother spending time writing detailed posts anymore? I think some people weren't happy with the Boston thread being deleted either because of only one or two posts.

Thanks,

Rob

Maybe groups that are uncomfortable with the thread content are more sensitive or even challenging than in past. I mean the MOD does seem to be traveling around meeting and conferences where the bid teams are doing business, and having a fair bit of interaction with these groups. As his sites profile rises I’m assuming he is being cautious not to offend as he tries to build relationships with those parties.

And could he actually be held responsible for comments made on his site, could that be considered a crime in some places?

Maybe groups that are uncomfortable with the thread content are more sensitive or even challenging than in past. I mean the MOD does seem to be traveling around meeting and conferences where the bid teams are doing business, and having a fair bit of interaction with these groups. As his sites profile rises I’m assuming he is being cautious not to offend as he tries to build relationships with those parties.

And could he actually be held responsible for comments made on his site, could that be considered a crime in some places?

Then one has already fallen into that 'control of universal thought' pit that muslim societies want to IMPOSE on the ENTIRE planet if they had their way. It is the first step in the return to the Dark Ages. What next, Paul?? :blink: Paul, I expected more from you.

Then one has already fallen into that 'control of universal thought' pit that muslim societies want to IMPOSE on the ENTIRE planet if they had their way. It is the first step in the return to the Dark Ages. What next, Paul?? :blink: Paul, I expected more from you.

I’m just speculating on reasons content might be deleted. I would not agree that’s a fair reason, in fact it’s disturbing.

in fact it’s disturbing.

It is. What happened to critical thinking? Even when intellectuals in Islamic countries try to challenge that reality, they are labeled Islamophobes! If there’s one thing that could stop the very slow progress of human rights in the Middle East, it would be that term and its constant misuse by both Westerns and those in the Muslim world who fight progress.

Hmmm, I pointed GBModerator to this thread and thought that he might reply personally here. He only replied to my personal message so far, and I believe he only referred only to the Boston thread there when he said that he deleted it accidentally. The Boston thread is back online now, by the way: http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/22618-explosions-at-boston-marathon/

So I don't know whether the deletion of the Istanbul thread was an accident as well. Would be nice of GBModerator to clear that up.

EDIT: Oops - I just saw that the blasphemy laws thread is back online as well. So its deletion probably was an accident, too.

Hmmm, I pointed GBModerator to this thread and thought that he might reply personally here. He only replied to my personal message so far, and I believe he only referred only to the Boston thread there when he said that he deleted it accidentally. The Boston thread is back online now, by the way: http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/22618-explosions-at-boston-marathon/

So I don't know whether the deletion of the Istanbul thread was an accident as well. Would be nice of GBModerator to clear that up.

EDIT: Oops - I just saw that the blasphemy laws thread is back online as well. So its deletion probably was an accident, too.

It is back up as well.

Archived