It should be noted these tiny facts

GDP per capita in Barcelona is 21% higher than the European average and in the metro area this climbs to 44%.

The idea that because some major companies are HQ'd in Madrid rather than Barcelona and therefore would not back a Spanish Winter bid boarders on the outright laughable.

• Like 1
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One answer: the crown jewel of the High Desert - R E N O!!

I think Barcelona could make an amazing location for the Olympic Winter Games if it was technically possible. I think it would be quite amazing to see a showdown between Oslo, Munich and Barcelona f

Well, that's NOT my fault that Australia or the UK can't host Winter Olympics. What I'm just saying is that it DOESN'T really matter what the last type of Games a region hosted. It's let the chips f

It should be noted these tiny facts

GDP per capita in Barcelona is 21% higher than the European average and in the metro area this climbs to 44%.

The idea that because some major companies are HQ'd in Madrid rather than Barcelona and therefore would not back a Spanish Winter bid boarders on the outright laughable.

WRONG! My question was based on the fact that if Catalunya went its separate way from Spain, what are its funding resources? :rolleyes: Again, you misinterpreted. Sigh.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Catalunya won't separate from Spain before the bid deadline in two months though :) And I don't know if the Spanish OC will really be keen on trying that one now.

Eventually it might be worth trying for Barcelona, but somehow I doubt the IOC is currently in a pro-Spanish mood, and with the likes of Oslo and Munich in the race, it's probably just a waste of money.

Barcelona may bid for 2022 or postpone their plan to 2026 or 2030

Translated by Google:

mayor of the Catalan capital, Xavier Trias , is convinced of the viability of the project to qualify for the Barcelona Olympic Winter Games 2022, but has not yet decided whether he will sign this year, or opt for the Olympic Games in 2026 or 2030.
In any case, the City Council has already prepared the dossier of the candidacy, which sets a budget of 3,300 million euros. Of this, 1,204 corresponderrían strict budget Olympic Games, while 2.058 million, mainly to improve road and rail, should be covered by public contributions and sponsors. In this chapter, the candidate predicted to be the State covering 57% of the total, while the Government would reserve 20%, the other 20% private funds and the City 3%.
Beyond the characteristics of the project, Trias must first get the support of the political groups of the Consistory , who claim to submit the project to a public consultation, a requirement that this morning the mayor has not ruled. The deadline to enter the bidding for the 2022 Games, which you must validate the Spanish Olympic Committee (COE) ends on November 14.

Original article in Spanish here:

abc.es

I must admit I like the idea of two versatile olympic cities competing against each other. However, Barcelona and the whole Iberian Peninsula should focus in other important issues than parties (and this time on ice). Germany last hosted 41 years ago and at the time of the 2022 WO will be 50 years. Bavaria really knew how to take advantage of its Olympic legacy and in terms of railway, roads and general telecommunications I must say is second to none and already being used.

• Like 1

They have to bid.... this is an incredible positive opportunity for them ! Defeat of Madrid & Election of Bach...

I'm still not completely sold on the idea that Bach is somehow a bucket of water on Munich's 2022 aspirations.

Arguably, the bidding business is far more transparent these days - there is no way I could see Bach meddling with things to get Munich elected like JAS did with Barcelona in 1986.

besides, we all know Munich would be the frontrunner, so I'd be doubtful anyone will shriek corruption if the first city Bach names as host is Munich.

There is chance he may not even be President in 2022 - we could have Nawal El Moutawakel as IOC president overlooking a Munich 2022 Games.

The mayor of Barcelona has announced a referendum on the bid before official application. He says "the world won't end if the games happen in 2026". He also says they won't be able to bid if they have to build a bobsleigh track like the IOC wants, because of environmental concerns.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/local/barcelona/20130919/54386766412/trias-anuncia-consulta-jj-oo-de-invierno-candidatura.html

??? So they will only bid if they're allowed to just forget about luge and bobsleigh? I mean, REALLY? :blink:

Well, the Squaw Valley Games of 1960 did away with the bobsleigh/uge competition. The last Salzburg bid was, I believe, going to use the German Konigsee venue (and was allowed to do so in the bid). So, yeah, the IOC realizes that bobsled-luge competition is dispensable if push comes to shove.

And yet, as long as another bid makes a "complete" offer, why should the IOC do away with the luge/bob/skeleton competitions by picking the "incomplete" bidder?

Salzburg had the luge track just around the corner, just in a different country, but it probably didn't help them (as well as some other reasons why they didn't succeed).

On the other hand, it's a sensible thing to avoid constructing such a track in a country where not even a handful of people would use it afterwards. Maybe it's about time that bidders could use some kind of "Rent-A-Luge-Track" service with only temporary installation that would/could be moved to a different location as need be.

1. And yet, as long as another bid makes a "complete" offer, why should the IOC do away with the luge/bob/skeleton competitions by picking the "incomplete" bidder?

2. On the other hand, it's a sensible thing to avoid constructing such a track in a country where not even a handful of people would use it afterwards. Maybe it's about time that bidders could use some kind of "Rent-A-Luge-Track" service with only temporary installation that would/could be moved to a different location as need be.

1. No; they don't have to. It is/was just an alternative and something the IOC should consider seriously to keep the Games from getting to be too extravagant.

2. The problem with this is the physics of the entire thing. Mass x gravity + velocity and all that adds up to some challenging variables. Also, each setting is different from the other -- no same two combo of hills and turns and of course, which the Federation likes to vary also. So unless they can make a fool-proof 'Rent-a-Luge Track" that is safe, secure, meets international and insurance standards, then it's something that the IOC and bidding cities will have to weigh very seriously.