Barcelona 2022

gromit

Depends on what you mean by official I guess! I think an applicant city is still an official bid. I wouldn't say because it doesn't make the candidate city list it becomes any less official.

Sure it does. It doesn't reach the stage where they have to sell themselves all out in order to win votes. How can a bid that doesn't get to the final stage be considered "Official'? Those are half-cooked, weak, inelgiible bids. They are dismissed early because they really can't be taken seriously.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bullshit !

We won't have Barcelona 2022 bid. It's too crazy. I'm waiting Munich 2022

Clearly you can't have an intelligent conversation. Munich haven't decided even if they are bidding.

We won't have a Barcelona bid ...... we already have a Barcelona bid, awaiting the outcome of the 2020 race and backed by the city council.

Grow up

IDK - I count them as official if they are nominated by their NOC. If the IOC doesn't short-list, that's their thing.

Agree with you on this. They are obviously not as important as the candidate cites - there is a clear difference as baron says. But I would still label them as official.

Clearly you can't have an intelligent conversation. Munich haven't decided even if they are bidding.

We won't have a Barcelona bid ...... we already have a Barcelona bid, awaiting the outcome of the 2020 race and backed by the city council.

Grow up

There is no official Barcelona 2022 bid actually, it isn't official website... Since 2010 there weren't news about a potential Barcelona bid... Maybe some people would like to have a barcelona but that's all...

I think even in Spain lot of people think Barcelona to WoG it's totally crazy and unrealistic.

There is no official Barcelona 2022 bid actually, it isn't official website... Since 2010 there weren't news about a potential Barcelona bid... Maybe some people would like to have a barcelona but that's all...

I think even in Spain lot of people think Barcelona to WoG it's totally crazy and unrealistic.

So the official council produced pdf produced by Barcelona City council is a figment of people's imagination then?

And the announcement by the city mayor Jordi Hereu on 13/1/2010 that the city aspires to host the WOG didn't occur but was uttered in a parallel universe

And the title of the website below is 'Barcelona 2022 - City of Barcelona's Official Website'

http://w1.bcn.cat/candidatura2022/en

Which bit of the term 'OFFICIAL' is causing you confusion?

Since 2010 there weren't news about a potential Barcelona bid... Maybe some people would like to have a barcelona but that's all...

I

Here is a link from the IIHF website

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/recap/7256.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=10&cHash=94dea1d369

dated 13 October 2012 talking about Barcelona's aspirations to be the host in 2022

and BTW, if you look at the website link in my previous post and clink on the symbol called AJUNTAMENT DE BARCELONA this takes you through to the rest of the official Barcelona city website

^yeah, but I bet that the SOC won't have 'bidding fatigue' for yet another Madrid 2024 run. The real crux of the matter here is not whether Spain would/could bankroll another bid, but would they support a Barcelona one. And since the Castillians are so dead-set to outdo their Catalan neighbors, the most likely answer to that is no. Certainly Spain could make a much better case for the Winter Olympics, even if it's with Barcelona again, but Madrid is so blind & stubborn with jealousy, that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that the day after the 2020 vote they don't come out & say "we're bidding again for 2024!" :wacko:

^yeah, but I bet that the SOC won't have 'bidding fatigue' for yet another Madrid 2024 run. The real crux of the matter here is not whether Spain would/could bankroll another bid, but would they support a Barcelona one. And since the Castillians are so dead-set to outdo their Catalan neighbors, the most likely answer to that is no. Certainly Spain could make a much better case for the Winter Olympics, even if it's with Barcelona again, but Madrid is so blind & stubborn with jealousy, that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that the day after the 2020 vote they don't come out & say "we're bidding again for 2024!" :wacko:

Probably so. And they'll say, "Well, we came in 3rd..." :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Except that Texan independence is hardly on the cards but Catalan independence is a very real possibility.

The current Catalan parliament is committed to having a vote on sovereignty in the next four years despite the Spanish government's complete opposition to even holding a referendum.

If the vote is in favour it will be far from straightforward as the Spanish government say any secession is unconstitutional but I predict that Catalonia will become independent and that will indeed change everything.

Except that Texan independence is hardly on the cards but Catalan independence is a very real possibility.

The current Catalan parliament is committed to having a vote on sovereignty in the next four years despite the Spanish government's complete opposition to even holding a referendum.

If the vote is in favour it will be far from straightforward as the Spanish government say any secession is unconstitutional but I predict that Catalonia will become independent and that will indeed change everything.

Those Catalans are all TALK. They are Spanish. They don't understand what it means to be another sovereign nation. That's just like the Scots, the Qubecois, the Puerto Ricans....blah-blah-blah. But in the end, they still hold on to their UK, Canadian and US passports.

Yeah, especially the Quebecois who have been quite vocal before about independence. But even if Catalonia ever did become independent, it wouldn't make much, if any, difference on Madrid's chances (just like any of those others wouldn't make much difference in their respective cases, either). Especially when/if by then, enough time would've passed to perhaps make another Iberian Olympic apperance anyway. But as usual, it would be about the case they're presenting. Is it compelling, what's the narrative, etc. But when compared to the other big European neighbors who've been waiting much longer, I still don't see it.

Those Catalans are all TALK. They are Spanish. They don't understand what it means to be another sovereign nation. That's just like the Scots, the Qubecois, the Puerto Ricans....blah-blah-blah. But in the end, they still hold on to their UK, Canadian and US passports.

You can't understand having a cultural identity that is submissive to a greater cultural identity? While I don't agree with the "Balkanisation" of countries like Spain, UK or Canada, I can't completely understand their plight.

When I was in Montreal a few years back, I was actually quite taken back by how different it really was to the rest of North America. I don't know if I'd like the idea of Canada becoming smaller due to the loss of Quebec, but I can completely understand their point that they have such huge cultural difference to the common North American state/province.

You can't understand having a cultural identity that is submissive to a greater cultural identity? While I don't agree with the "Balkanisation" of countries like Spain, UK or Canada, I can't completely understand their plight.

When I was in Montreal a few years back, I was actually quite taken back by how different it really was to the rest of North America. I don't know if I'd like the idea of Canada becoming smaller due to the loss of Quebec, but I can completely understand their point that they have such huge cultural difference to the common North American state/province.

Quebec was so close to independence to0. The 1994 referendum was something like 50.5% to 49.5% against Quebec sovereignty.

1. You can't understand having a cultural identity that is submissive to a greater cultural identity? While I don't agree with the "Balkanisation" of countries like Spain, UK or Canada, I can't completely understand their plight.

2. When I was in Montreal a few years back, I was actually quite taken back by how different it really was to the rest of North America. I don't know if I'd like the idea of Canada becoming smaller due to the loss of Quebec, but I can completely understand their point that they have such huge cultural difference to the common North American state/province.

1. What? I don't understand the non-correlation of your 2 sentences there. There is a great disconnect.

Also, if the Basques haven't broken away yet (and that would mean peeling off two areas of Spain AND France), I don't really see how Catalonia can do it. I mean your favorite Catalan fascist served his master in Madrid.

2. Not anymore so than the Latin feel in parts of LA, Miami, I am sure many towns of Texas; or the French flavor of New Orleans and pockets of Wisconsin and Vermont.

Interesting, because Montreal isn't really that different then North American cities.

Ya. A lot of english is spoken in Montreal.

Indeed. Most people there spoke perfect English (compared to mine). I didn't feel that it's different from other North American cities as well. Maybe has a special flavor like San Antonio or New Orleans but nothing more distinct than that.

Well, what do you base "such huge cultural difference to the 'common' North American state/province"?

Are you one of those that incorrectly cites North America to be only the "U.S. & Canada"? Bcuz when you have Mexico, Cuba, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, etc the 'huge differences' between other North American cities isn't that huge anymore, since many are different from one another, to begin with.

Archived