Barcelona 2022

gromit

Barcelone 2022 ? Are you serious ? :D

Why not Paris 2022, Sydney 2022 or Atlanta 2022 ?

Barcelone isn't a winter city, Pyrenees are very far from Barcelona...

What is the nonsense about 'winter cities?' Because of the growth of the games only larger cities can be host.

FACT

Barcelona is 150km from the nearest ski resorts with 800m vertical and there are BOTH rail and road links

FACT

Oslo is 130km from the nearest hill big enough Norefjell

FACT

Denver is 160km from Vail

FACT

Vancouver is 127km from Whistler

BTW

if you think that Paris or Sydney or Atlanta are within 150km of a mountain with the necessary vertical to host the alpine events, then you should invest in an atlas !!!

What is the nonsense about 'winter cities?' Because of the growth of the games only larger cities can be host.

FACT

Barcelona is 150km from the nearest ski resorts with 800m vertical and there are BOTH rail and road links

FACT

Oslo is 130km from the nearest hill big enough Norefjell

FACT

Denver is 160km from Vail

FACT

Vancouver is 127km from Whistler

BTW

if you think that Paris or Sydney or Atlanta are within 150km of a mountain with the necessary vertical to host the alpine events, then you should invest in an atlas !!!

You forgot:

FACT

Reno is 50km from most of the Tahoe slopes.

Barcelone 2022 ? Are you serious ? :D

Why not Paris 2022, Sydney 2022 or Atlanta 2022 ?

Barcelone isn't a winter city, Pyrenees are very far from Barcelona...

Barcelona has expressed interest in bidding for 2022. Has Paris or Sydney or Atlanta? With all due respect.. someone here with the name 'Tulsa' probably shouldn't be asking if another city is serious :P

Barcelona is a wonderful city and full of sporting passion, also rembers the 92 which were amongst the best, but Spain isn't really a winter country... After Pyeongchang and Sochi (which were new frontiers) a more tradiontal choice like Munich or Oslo will have the edge.

I wouldn't really classify Sochi as a "new frontier". Russia is a traditional winter sports nation that merely hadn't hosted a Winter Olympic Games themselves, but had hosted an Olympic Games nonetheless in 1980. Plus, Eastern Europe has hosted the Winter Olympics before as well. I think what makes Sochi seems as such is the mega amount of money that the Russian government is pouring into the 2014 Games. Everything is going to be NEW, so of course it's going to seem like a new venture, not to mention perhaps where Sochi is located in Russia, too. But if we're really going to talk about "traditional" winter sports nations, then Russia belongs right alongside with the likes of Germany, Norway, Austria, Switzerland & Sweden.

You also don't have to be a "winter country" to host the Winter Olympics, either. South Korea & Yugoslavia are evidence of this. Spain would fall into this category. A country that's not a great winter sports power, but could improve with hosting a Winter Olympics. That's one of the main elements why PyeongChang won. To open the door to winter sports in a new country & region. That would be Spain's card, & in that particular case could be a compelling component to a bid. The SOC is focusing all of their energies in the wrong set of Games, imho.

I wouldn't really classify Sochi as a "new frontier". Russia is a traditional winter sports nation that merely hadn't hosted a Winter Olympic Games themselves, but had hosted an Olympic Games nonetheless in 1980. Plus, Eastern Europe has hosted the Winter Olympics before as well. I think what makes Sochi seems as such is the mega amount of money that the Russian government is pouring into the 2014 Games. Everything is going to be NEW, so of course it's going to seem like a new venture, not to mention perhaps where Sochi is located in Russia, too. But if we're really going to talk about "traditional" winter sports nations, then Russia belongs right alongside with the likes of Germany, Norway, Austria, Switzerland & Sweden.

You also don't have to be a "winter country" to host the Winter Olympics, either. South Korea & Yugoslavia are evidence of this. Spain would fall into this category.

Indeed. If it weren't for the seasonal issues, I think New Zealand would be capable of holding a truly supreme Olympic Winter Games, even though they have strangely only won one silver medal at the event (bizarre given they are home to one of the best ski resorts in the world - Queenstown). Australia's own Olympic Winter athletes probably spend more time training in the Southern Winter in NZ than they would in their own country.

Edited by runningrings

I think if we have a face off between the potential 'Big3' - Barcelona v Munich v Oslo - all have their strengths and weaknesses and all will require considerable expense.

Both Barcelona and Munich have road AND rail links to their alpine locations which Oslo/Norefjell lacks.

Barcelona would need to build both a ski jumping and sliding facility BUT Oslo would also need a sliding facility as Lillehammer as too far and the same might be said of Schonau au Kongisee and Munich which is almost 150km making the Munich bid as wide as 250km.

As for indoor events, unless Munich spreads itself out and use Inzell, it would need to build a temporary speed skating location as well as maybe two Ice Hockey halls. Oslo has a similar issue in the need to build new indoor venues of similar size and then debate how they might be used afterwards.

Barcelona may have an advantage here. The popularity of such sports as Basketball (FC Barcelona, Joventut Badaluna), Handball (FC Barcelona, BM Granollers), Roller/Rink Hockey (CFB Vic, Noia, Barcelona) and even Ice Hockey (FC Barcelona) mean that facilities are either in place, are currently planned for existing teams, or would find ready tenants.

Barcelona might be a dark horse but looking at the technical aspects of the bid might be able to demonstrate a greater legacy. For example, a new speeding skating area could be developed in a similar way to the Richmond Oval into a combined small ice hockey area as well as an arena for both Handball and Roller Hockey.

Revised bid outline.

Opening ceremonies: Olympic Stadium 55,000 seats

Figure Skating: Palau Sant Jordi 16,500 seats

Ice Hockey 1: NEW ARENA 12,000 seats - planned for FC Barcelona Basketball

Ice Hockey 2: Pavello Olimpic de Badaluna 8,000 seats

Curling: Palau D'Esports de Granollers 5,000 seats

Speed Skating: NEW ARENA 10,000 seats - used for ice hockey, roller hockey and handball post games

Ski Jumping: Vall de Nuria 133km from Barcelona

Biathalon: Vall de Nuria

Alpine Men: Masella (Alp2500) 150km from Barcelona

Alpine Women: La Molina (Alp2500)

Slalom events Port del Comte 144km from Barcelona

FreeStyle: Rasos de Peguera 126km from Barcelona

Snowboarding: Rasos de Peguera

All the alpine events are broadly in the same direction to the North of Barcelona

Gromit, a Barcelona winter bid may be all well and good on paper. The main problem with it is: will the (I imagine...Castilian-dominated) Spanish NOC endorse a Barcelona bid...their 4th one in a row? I would think the Spanish NOC and their usual sponsors would have bidding fatigue in another 2 years' time. If they are serious about it, the Spanish NOC and the Madrid 2020 team should start sounding out Barcelona's chances even now as they campaign for 2020.

And for a Barcelona winter bid to have any traction whatsoever, Barcelona must have most of the winter federations wholeheartedly on their side to offset the stronger winter athletic heritage of (possibly) Norway and Germany.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

You also don't have to be a "winter country" to host the Winter Olympics, either. South Korea & Yugoslavia are evidence of this. Spain would fall into this category. A country that's not a great winter sports power, but could improve with hosting a Winter Olympics. That's one of the main elements why PyeongChang won. To open the door to winter sports in a new country & region. That would be Spain's card, & in that particular case could be a compelling component to a bid. The SOC is focusing all of their energies in the wrong set of Games, imho.

Sochi isn't a new frontier in the sense of Rio or Istanbul, but there are some new frontier elements to it. Russia is a traditional winter sports nation, but it's still a nation that has never hosted a Winter Olympics before and it's in a region not really known as a winter sports destination. And it's probably notable that it'll be the first Olympics in Russia for many nations including the United States and Canada along with everyone else who boycotted the 1980 Summer Olympics. So to your point, it's more 'new' than 'new frontier', but despite the fact that this is Russia we're talking about, the nation may be traditional but the city/region hosting is not, IMO.

That aside.. I agree on Barcelona. A lot of us, I know myself included, still have relatively fresh memories of Barcelona. Only 2 other nations in Europe have hosted a Summer Olympics since then. And it's definitely a worthy argument to say that another Summer Olympics might not do all that much for Spain, but a Winter Olympics probably would be bigger for them and for Winter Sport in Europe.

South Korea is a winter country evidently by its top 5 finish in Vancouver lol.

They're not a "traditional" winter country. Take away speed skating from the 2010 Games & all South Korea would've had was one medal in women's figure skating. Which was also an argument always used against PyeongChang's 2018 bid by the Munich & Annecy camps. That they don't dominate in any other winter sports & aren't on the same winter caliber like the nations of Russia, Germany, Austria, Canada, etc. & shouldn't win the bid bcuz of it.

but despite the fact that this is Russia we're talking about, the nation may be traditional but the city/region hosting is not, IMO.

Which is why I went on to say "...not to mention perhaps where Sochi is located in Russia, too". All the sparkling, brand-new venues, plus the "new" location makes it seem like a new frontier. But how may times is it argued on these boards by some of the foreigners "no more U.S." but then someone else comes on & says "but it'll be a 'new region' of the U.S." & the counter argument is "but it's still the U.S. which has hosted too many times already". If anything, Sochi is a pseudo-new frontier.

The main problem with it is: will the (I imagine...Castilian-dominated) Spanish NOC endorse a Barcelona bid...their 4th one in a row? I would think the Spanish NOC and their usual sponsors would have bidding fatigue in another 2 years' time. If they are serious about it, the Spanish NOC and the Madrid 2020 team should start sounding out Barcelona's chances even now as they campaign for 2020.

The thing with that, though, is that "jealous" Madrid is so bent on getting an Olympics, that any consideration on Barcelona 2022 won't happen until after the 2020 vote, if it all. I bet that they won't have 'bidding fatigue' for a Madrid 2024 run if they lose 2020, which is the most likely outcome.

The thing is, Russia was due a Games...and they went for the Winter one since that was easier to attain...something a certain super-power is TOO STUPID to do. I rest my case.

Russia has never hosted Winter Games and is a winter sports power. The last Games hosted on American soil were Winter Games. The last Games in North America were Winter Games. I rest my case.

Russia has never hosted Winter Games and is a winter sports power. The last Games hosted on American soil were Winter Games. The last Games in North America were Winter Games. I rest my case.

Uhmmm...you better not. Your argument is worse than Swiss cheese. To wit:

- Los Angeles 1984 was followed by Atlanta 1996;

- Berlin 1936, Munich 1972.

- Melbourne 1956, Sydney 2000

- London 1948, London 2012

Not to mention:

- Squaw Valley 1960, followed by what would have been Dumb Denver 1976 and then Lake Placid 1980.

- Oslo 1952, Lillehammer 1994 - no Summer.

- Calgary 1988; Vancouver 2010.

- Grenoble 1968, Albertville 1992;

- Sapporo 1972, Nagano 1998.

So you were saying about the last one in the US being Salt Lake?? :blink:

The next openings giving the US the best shot are Winter slots...NOT the more hotly contested summer ones...of which the US can't even get a stadium and a Village together. So what are you blathering about? Sigh...

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Your argument also has as many holes as swiss cheese.

The UK and Australia have zero hope of ever staging the Winter Olympics - hence going straight from Summer to Summer. I guarantee, that if Australia was able to stage the Winter Olympics, we might very well have seen a Canberra 1988 Winter Olympics following 1956. And yes, such an event would have delayed a Sydney Olympics by possibly decades.

Baron, only North America has hosted two Winter Games without an intervening Summer Games (2002, 2010). I don't count Sarajevo/Albertville because Barcelona followed in the same year as Albertville.

If the US were to host Winter Games in 2022 or 2026 as you propose, that would make three Winter Games on one continent with no intervening Summer Games -- something that's completely unprecedented in Olympic history. And don't tell me that you believe North and South America are one continent, because I know you don't and you've argued against it in the past.

But how do know for certain that the "old school" Eurocentric IOC members don't count Rio as the "intervening" Summer Games. Even Jacque Rigge himself said right after Rio won that the Games are finally going to the "American Sub-continent".

Quite frankly, simply bcuz no other continent hasn't hosted more than two winter Olymics in a row doesn't really demonstrate much of anything.

Your argument also has as many holes as swiss cheese.

The UK and Australia have zero hope of ever staging the Winter Olympics - hence going straight from Summer to Summer. I guarantee, that if Australia was able to stage the Winter Olympics, we might very well have seen a Canberra 1988 Winter Olympics following 1956. And yes, such an event would have delayed a Sydney Olympics by possibly decades.

Well, that's NOT my fault that Australia or the UK can't host Winter Olympics. What I'm just saying is that it DOESN'T really matter what the last type of Games a region hosted. It's let the chips fall where they may ...and back-to-back summer, winter, fall Games happen. That's my point. Duh!

• Like 1

Baron, only North America has hosted two Winter Games without an intervening Summer Games (2002, 2010). I don't count Sarajevo/Albertville because Barcelona followed in the same year as Albertville.

If the US were to host Winter Games in 2022 or 2026 as you propose, that would make three Winter Games on one continent with no intervening Summer Games -- something that's completely unprecedented in Olympic history. And don't tell me that you believe North and South America are one continent, because I know you don't and you've argued against it in the past.

As to which I say.. so what? We need precedent for something to happen in Olympic bidding? We all know your feelings about what you WANT the United States to do. That doesn't mean it's going to happen that way. It certainly doesn't prevent the USOC from pursuing a Winter Olympics or from the IOC awarding them one in say 2026 if the United States presents them with a compelling option. When we see patterns emerge, they're often matters of circumstance or coincidence. It certainly doesn't dictate what will or even should happen next. Regardless of how the IOC views North America/South America, there is no reason, none whatsoever that says that the next Olympics in North America need be a Summer Olympics. There is nothing at all that precludes the next North American Olympics from being of the Winter variety if (key word: "if") that's what the United States or Canada decides to bid for.

I don't think you understand what the word "only" means.

If the US were to host Winter Games in 2022 or 2026 as you propose, that would make three Winter Games on one continent with no intervening Summer Games -- something that's completely unprecedented in Olympic history.

So what? Every host selection in unprecendented in some way or other.

• Like 1