Barcelona 2022

gromit

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, but they must have proposed some form of bobsleigh venue in one of their bids. As Jaca is in northeastern Spain, like Barca, it'd be interesting to see where they planned to hold it, even if they didn't make the shortlist.

Does it matter where they planned to hold it? Knowing Spain, I am sure it was going to be there locally. But what difference does it make, yoshi?

Well, if they planned to hold bobsleigh in Location X, then by logic, that would mean that Location X would be, or at least was, a suitable location. Therefore, assuming that Jaca used a location reasonably close to Barca, that could potentially be a location for a bobsleigh track for Barca's bid. By Location X, I mean any given location, wherever Jaca planned their track.

I remember that Andorra 2010 was La Plagne. Jaca 2010 and 2014 were planning their own facility, built for the Games. It was the Panticosa Sliding Centre.

http://www.aramonpanticosa.com/

Per ViaMichelin, the distance between Panticosa and Barcelona is 353 km, which can be made in 4h27.

That being said, this Barcelona/bobsled thing is a politician's old trick: find a technicality so that the decision not to bid is not his fault but the IOCs. When you know the Pyrenees, the notion that nowhere in the vicinity of La Molina and Andorra there is a place where you can geometrically and environmentally build a bobsled track is laughable.

Look at the Koreans, for instance, they managed. And Alpensia is nowhere like the Pyrenees.

Maybe we could build it in France (Font-Romeu or Bolquère ?) :lol:

Jaca made the shortlist for the 1998 Games and tied Salt Lake for the least amount of votes in the first round.

I think the shortlist was only introduced as from the 2002 Selektion, for 98 they just put up all bidders. And Jaca didn't tie with SLC, it was Even only 2 votes behind Nagano in the First round. Stränge Voting Patzern with Jaca there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_the_1998_Winter_Olympics

And obviously the autofilling function screwed up the last line of my previous post...

I think the shortlist was only introduced as from the 2002 Selektion, for 98 they just put up all bidders. And Jaca didn't tie with SLC, it was Even only 2 votes behind Nagano in the First round.

That's correct. The short-list process was first introduced for the 2002 race, where ten cities initially applied for those Games. So for 1998 there was no such thing. And yeah, Salt Lake tied with Aosta, not Jaca, in the first round.

Jaca had a surprisingly high number of votes in the first round (19), which dropped spectacularly in the second round (5). It is probably much too late to do a post mortem of that one, but I really wonder what happened. I can't remember another vote where something of that magnitude happened.

Looking at the votes in the second round, my guess would be that it looks like the real contenders in that race were Nagano, Salt Lake & Ostersund. And Jaca's & Aosta's first round votes were in essence "charity" votes. And once there had to be a run-off between one of the real candidates & one of the charity ones, that virtually all of the members then turned to their preferential choice in the second round as to not risk another tie-breaker & accidentally have one of the real conterders knocked out as a result.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Winter Games in the Pyrenees would be great. Three countries can bid, so the possibilities are many. A Zaragoza bid would be interesting.

Zaragoza has a detailed Bid-Book almost ready, but due to political issues there won't be a bid for 2022. The document includes affordable projects which are being carried out nowadays offering reasonable legacy for the region and boosting railway communications with Europe through The Pyrennes.

In a Zaragoza-Barcelona battle, I reckon that Zaragoza and its Pyrenees can offer a better project.

I can give you more information about most Jaca's bids and the attempts of Zaragoza for 2018, 2022 WOG and also the 2015 Winter Universiade. Projects that finally did not go beyond.

• 2 weeks later...

Barcelona will not be a candidate city for the 2022 Winter Games, it will be confirm next Friday in session of the Barcelona City Council.

www.sport.es/es/noticias/josep-maria-casanovas/barcelona-aplaza-candidatura-olimpica-2022-2743572

Boooo, I was expecting an esque Dynasty drama between Castillian and Catalan lobbies :D:lol:

Anyway, we always have 2026...

Well - I'm all behind Munich now. Barcelona was the only other option that excited me.

I hope we see Barcelona within the next decade or two - I think a second Spanish Olympics in the form of a BCN OWG would be great. (if not just to see the faces of the Castillians when Barcelona wins on its first attempt!)

Maybe the Spanish Olympic Committee has already told the Catalans "Pa La M!erda ya!" Lmfao! :-D

Think about it, next year will be the Independence Referendum in Catalonia -At least is on "plans"-, and according many polls, the "YES" is growning. Maybe they'll wait until the ultimate objective is accomplished. :P

The mayor of Barcelona has announced a referendum on the bid before official application. He says "the world won't end if the games happen in 2026". He also says they won't be able to bid if they have to build a bobsleigh track like the IOC wants, because of environmental concerns.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/local/barcelona/20130919/54386766412/trias-anuncia-consulta-jj-oo-de-invierno-candidatura.html

The Olympics would become a big joke if they allowed non-championship level venues. Olympics should have championship level venues in all sports. If the bidders can't provide them, then they shouldn't bid.

Could Catalonia just declare independence itself like Kosovo did, on the basis of overwhelming public support?

They would have to have a referendum even to make a unilateral declaration. Especially if there isn't absolutely guaranteed overwhelming support. The Spanish government's position is that secession is illegal and even a formal referendum is illegal so they need to go through an appropriate process, even if such a process will be rejected by Spain, in order to have international support.

Archived