Barcelona 2022

gromit

When referring to North America - I was probably incorrectly thinking of just the US and Canada. Again, this was my perception as an outsider. While I found Montreal to be obviously very North American, there were some substantial difference I noticed culturally that set it aside from other places. (In fairness, it is the only Canadian city I've visited). I said this in the context of sympathising with Quebec's identity, separate of mainstream Canada. I still wouldn't like to see Canada fracture in any way to see a Quebec nation (besides, it seems like they're quite dependent on the rest of Canada economically?).

1. What? I don't understand the non-correlation of your 2 sentences there. There is a great disconnect.

Also, if the Basques haven't broken away yet (and that would mean peeling off two areas of Spain AND France), I don't really see how Catalonia can do it. I mean your favorite Catalan fascist served his master in Madrid.

2. Not anymore so than the Latin feel in parts of LA, Miami, I am sure many towns of Texas; or the French flavor of New Orleans and pockets of Wisconsin and Vermont.

The confusion is from my own grammatical error in the first sentence - should read "I CAN completely understand" not "I can't".

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When referring to North America - I was probably incorrectly thinking of just the US and Canada. Again, this was my perception as an outsider. While I found Montreal to be obviously very North American, there were some substantial difference I noticed culturally that set it aside from other places. (In fairness, it is the only Canadian city I've visited). I said this in the context of sympathising with Quebec's identity, separate of mainstream Canada. I still wouldn't like to see Canada fracture in any way to see a Quebec nation (besides, it seems like they're quite dependent on the rest of Canada economically?).

The confusion is from my own grammatical error in the first sentence - should read "I CAN completely understand" not "I can't".

Yup they depend on those transfer payments -_- lol

Montreal is different yet distinct at the same time from other N/A cities.

• 3 months later...

Does Madrid's loss open the door for Barcelona? Or does it mean that Madrid will try yet again and that the central government will back them over Barcelona seeking the limelight once again?

Now that';s going to be an interesting choice to watch for over the next few months.

What would be Lisbon's narrative, though? If a much larger metropolitan area, & more cosmopolitan city, like Madrid, couldn't get it after three consecutive times, what more of smaller, less enticing Lisbon.

They could play the "last(ish) major European capital that had a colonial empire never to have hosted the games" card.

I don't know, well, apart from obvious variety, why so many people get wet about a Lisbon bid. I doubt Portugal is big enough to support a hosting.

They could play the "last(ish) major European capital that had a colonial empire never to have hosted the games" card.

I don't know, well, apart from obvious variety, why so many people get wet about a Lisbon bid. I doubt Portugal is big enough to support a hosting.

I love Portugal, it is a beautiful country, but like Spain it is suffering from an economic crisis. Further - it has a population and economy similar to Greece. Lisbon could be an Iberian Athens. I'm sure they could do it well, but it would leave the country in ruins.

Lisbon is awesome, but is not going to happen... Perhaps European Games?

I think that's more sensible. Maybe even one of the bigger world championships (like athletic or aquatics) could be attainable, but I feel like events such as the Euro games where meant for mid-tier capitals like Lisbon.

Where did Lisbon pop out... in a Barcelona WOG thread?

If it was stuff of dreams to even consider it for an Olympic bid when we were not plunged in this crisis, it makes no sense now. I even raise my brows at the mention of a European Games, as much as I'd love to have anything of that sort hosted in our soil...

It looks as if Barcelona is full steam ahead for 2022 according to the mayor, Xavier Trias.

However, his statements only a day after Madrid failed to win the 2020 bid won't be making Barcelona any friends in Spain at least...

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2013/09/09/barcelona/1378727392.html

Essentially he said that, in Spain, only Barcelona has the class to compete against the likes of Istanbul and Tokyo. And people here said that Madrid was arrogant. I feel that's pretty rich coming from a city that is relying on mountains that aren't really even near Barcelona to make it's winter bid viable.

Forget about a Lisbon bid in this century, not gonna happen. That said, Lisbon would be an exceptional host, Jamor Valley (location of our national stadium) would be one of the best olympic parks. Also, I don't know if Madrid has a bigger profile than Lisbon, the portuguese capital has been awarded the title of best european destination for the last several years.

Oh, God. That's sounds like feud and shade between sisters.

Originally I supported a Barcelona WOG in the sense of a "compensation prize", but with these recent statements both sides of the spectrum -Catalans and Castillians- need a character chance and lose that sense of arrogance. And best of all, leave thinking with the liver.

Well, especially when you know that the Spanish Olympic Committee will just tell them to go to he!l anyway. And in a way, it's a real shame, cuz a Winter bid for them would make much more sense. Akin to how a Winter bid for South Korea was a compelling choice.

Some time ago the Spanish Olympic Committee suggested that Spain should improve its performance in winter sports before bidding for the Winter Games. So far, we have only won 2 medals (1 gold, 1 bronze) in Winter Olympics history. And also, I don't know if they're willing to back another bid right after Madrid 2020's disappointment. The deadline for cities to apply is just in two months' time, isn't it?

Archived