Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

PyeongChang 2018 Emblem Unveiling

Uh-oh. Time for a "Best Logo" confront....errr, discussion...

3 Best: LA 84, Munich 72 and Atlanta 1996!!

Used to hate Atlanta but I it grew on me BIG time......I'm in the ATL right now.......anybody who talks any sh!t about this city is missing the boat, this place is a-m-a-z-i-n-g! Too bad they already had their Olympics, would have been mega today after all the glamour growth of the last 20 years.

Atlanta 1996 left serious legacy for this city, too bad so many here don’t know this incredible American city. I can understand why they were chosen, and I don’t think it was a mistake.

I was thinking all the American games seemed to figure out how to have the main stadium in the middle of their busy city hubs, not at far away parks, and Atlanta’s was amazing on that rise above downtown.

ot be honest, it looked like a logo for a high school sportsfest

...yea it's not my favorite due to the many components, kinda busy, but I really do absolutely love the Atlanta look. They really hit a great balance of USA and international styles....not easy to do. And it's very beautiful to imagine the games in Atlanta for me, I wasn't interested in the games way back then so I totally missed it.

ot be honest, it looked like a logo for a high school sportsfest

...yea it's not my favorite due to the many components, kinda busy, but I really do absolutely love the Atlanta look. They really hit a great balance of USA and international styles....not easy to do. And it's very beautiful to imagine the games in Atlanta for me, I wasn't interested in the games way back then so I totally missed it.

1996_olympic-logo.jpg

4446075510_dd83f26c34_z.jpg

It may seen a little complicated at first, but it was great how Landor Assoc, was able to incorporate ALL the important elements of a Centennial Games into one symbol. Starting from the bottom, the 100 represent the flutes in "Ionic" columns found in many Greek Revival-Classic buildings in the American South. The 5 rings are super-imposed upon the 2 scrolls (or actually, the bull horns of Zeus when he becomes a heifer to abduct Io) found in the top of said "Ionic" columns. Together, they form the pyre on which the Olympic flame and spirit burns...and such dreams rise up to a star.

Landor Assoc. is a San Francisco design firm also responsible for the Nagano 1998 and Salt Lake 2002 logos. http://landor.com/#!/about/

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Atlanta is a classic, most handsome Olympic logo, ever, IMO.

I mightn't go that far, but I agree it's a classy classic Olympic logo.

I remember being quite impressed with it back i 96.

I've always said that Atlanta had the blessing or curse (whatever way you want to look at it) of having to incorporate two distinct elements in all of their branding - from logo, to look to ceremonies.

They had an obligation to have both Atlanta's culture and the historical Olympic theme working in tandem with pretty much everything they did. Maybe it was a happy coincidence that there are alot of parallels , visually, between Olympic historical images and those of Atlanta (Greek architecture/Greek Revival Architecture, Olive branch/ city of trees) etc etc

That is how I've interpreted it too, the classic south seems to intersect conveniently with Greek culture. As has been mentioned, Atlanta had to balance to the two - as it seemed to be more of an Olympics representing and celebrating the Olympic movement itself, and the American South - it wasn't really as much an "American Olympiad" as LA84 was, for instance.

I've wondered if other cities with perhaps a 'stronger' identity than Atlanta would have been as able to relay the Centennial message? I think Melbourne would have done it well, being a previous host and the largest Greek city outside Greece, but I'm unsure of Manchester, Belgrade or Toronto (Toronto could have celebrated it through its multiculturalism).

Just spent a week in Atlanta....sooooo cool. Trafics still bad however! :lol:

I've heard it is an immensely frustrating city without a car, and that even with MARTA you still have to walk a lot. A friend of mine in Melbourne studied at Georgia Tech and said it makes Los Angeles seem dense in comparison.

I've got no argument with Atlanta as a city, but I also found the logo to be a bit of an ungainly, somewhat predictable hodge podge. Could've been worse, but it's definitely not a favorite of mine.

Atlanta is a classic, most handsome Olympic logo, ever, IMO.

Definitely one of the top three best logos and the classiest of them all!

I've heard it is an immensely frustrating city without a car, and that even with MARTA you still have to walk a lot. A friend of mine in Melbourne studied at Georgia Tech and said it makes Los Angeles seem dense in comparison.

Well, yes. The population of LA County alone is just under 10 mil (9.8). Metro Atlanta (4 counties) is only a little over 5 mil. So LA is definitely denser.

Its kinda funny an Australian complaining about the size of a US city. Australian and North American cities are actually very similar. There are exceptions, New York and Washington being the most European in style.

Atlanta’s actually very easy to get around by car, there’s lots of new clean super-freeways that are pretty fun to drive if you like to drive fast, at some points they pass under skyscrapers and weave into and through downtown and at one main loop one passes both the Olympic Cauldron and Turner field. It’s super fun driving there. Now and then you get into a jam and it can be bad but nothing like “BAD” in Southern Cal. Rush hour is unpredictable as in any huge city. However I drove from Buckhead to ATL in what seemed like 12-15 minutes last Saturday!

The MARTA is very nice and unlike LAs rail there is a stop at the airport. I’ve taken it once or twice from ATL to Buckhead just near the Intercontinental, and I enjoyed the ride very much. I always see many stops along the freeways and around town and as much as this isn’t the NYC subway I think it’s very valuable to Atlantans and very heavily used for many people. It’s just another amazing legacy of the 1996 games.

Atlanta is such a beautiful city; I’m absolutely in love with this city. In those days when Atlanta was bidding for the games I think they still did IOC visits to bid cities, and I’m sure the members that visited Atlanta were probably blown away by it’s appeal….and that’s really how they won. People seen to like to act like this was a lucky win by a city without the international appeal, but if you visited Atlanta it’s overwhelmingly attractive and powerful.

396px-AtlantaPhoenix.jpg

There is this one thing I never understand in Atlanta…..this odd torch which is prominently located on the east side of the freeway across from Georgia Tech. I’ve goggled it many times but always get conflicting info, often it’s labeled as the Olympic torch/cauldron from the 96 games but I don’t get it…we know where the cauldron is and this aint it! It sort of looks like the top of the 96 torch but not as elegant and wrong color…so if it’s a tribute….it’s odd. Can someone explain exactly what this thing is……it always bugs me when I see it.

Here it is below...

2008-1-2-olympic-torch.jpg

Here it is below...

2008-1-2-olympic-torch.jpg

I know. I was always puzzled by that myself. Obviously, it went up sometime after I left Atlanta. I think it's the sane prototype for Boris' Orbtial creation for 2012.

But seriously, as long as they got all the right permits, I think it's some one or some group's answer to the much-hated real one. I figure the people behind this so hate the Armajani one that they decided to create an alternate one and maybe people would just mistake this one as the Centennial cauldron. And who would go around to try and say otherwise??

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Its kinda funny an Australian complaining about the size of a US city. Australian and North American cities are actually very similar. There are exceptions, New York and Washington being the most European in style.

While the greater metro areas do have sprawling, American style suburbia, the inner urban areas of Australian cities (especially Sydney and Melbourne) are quite dense, and home to some of the most substantial pre WW2 medium/dense residential housing in the new world - comparable to inner parts of San Francisco, Boston and Montreal - a "European" density. So yes, even Sydney and Melbourne are nowhere near as spread out as Atlanta, or even Los Angeles. These two Australian cities have quite dense centres.

Edited by runningrings

The MARTA is very nice and unlike LAs rail there is a stop at the airport. I’ve taken it once or twice from ATL to Buckhead just near the Intercontinental, and I enjoyed the ride very much. I always see many stops along the freeways and around town and as much as this isn’t the NYC subway I think it’s very valuable to Atlantans and very heavily used for many people. It’s just another amazing legacy of the 1996 games.

MARTA existed long before Atlanta even planned to bid for 1996, so to describe it as a legacy of the 1996 Games isn't exactly true.

Atlanta is such a beautiful city; I’m absolutely in love with this city. In those days when Atlanta was bidding for the games I think they still did IOC visits to bid cities, and I’m sure the members that visited Atlanta were probably blown away by it’s appeal….and that’s really how they won. People seen to like to act like this was a lucky win by a city without the international appeal, but if you visited Atlanta it’s overwhelmingly attractive and powerful.

Sorry, I find this incredibly difficult to stomach, mainly because your view of history tends to go against all other accounts I've read. Atlanta was the convenient, secure option for 1996, as Athens was a risk. The business sector in Atlanta helped boost the appeal. I understand that Atlanta embodies the leafy American suburban dream, but I doubt trees and freeways are what made the IOC take a very difficult stand against the sentimental choice for the 1996 Games, Athens. To claim that Atlanta's "beauty" was a bigger deciding factor for 1996 over the flaws of Athens is a pretty selective and ill-informed view of history.

Edited by runningrings
  • Like 1

Well you likely don’t get the opportunity to stomach it from waaaaaay down there now do you? I get to enjoy it often and as someone who spends time in the city I’m telling you it’s a super cool and I bet the IOC thought so too…….I guess there is evidence they did! :lol:

I’m not saying it wasn’t the secure/reliable/safe option….I’d call those positives too by the way……..I’m sayin there are MANY MANY MANY other reasone I’m quit sure many IOC members were VERY impressed with Atlanta. If you spend time in Atlanta you may understand it’s appeal more, if you never go there then like many you fall back on stereotypes. I travel extensively and my opinion is this city is a standout!

You said: “I understand that Atlanta embodies the leafy American suburban dream”.

I didn’t say that at all and it’s not what I focused on at all as the cities appeal…….to me Atlanta is about URBAN EVERGY as much as beautiful nature and gorgeous residential areas. I NEVER think of Atlanta as “suburban”, I don’t visit those types of areas when I’m in the city.

I’m the one that LOVES driving on super freeways, I mentioned it cuz it’s fun and I always love cities (Chicago, LA, Houston) where freeways pass near or through the mega-skyscrapers and downtown core areas………always fun for speed and perspective. Since I’m often on the run that’s how I enter and leave the city….by car……so I enjoy a properly “SUPER” highway….gets me pumped to explore. If I could enter by helicopter I would!

I thought the rail part of MARTA was Olympic related......do you know what upgrades/expansion was done as part of the 96 games?

I hear ya about the humidity! You're gonna get that all over the east too like Philly......that's why we love summers in LA.

I thought the rail part of MARTA was Olympic related......do you know what upgrades/expansion was done as part of the 96 games?

I hear ya about the humidity! You're gonna get that all over the east too like Philly......that's why we love summers in LA.

Re MARTA, without checking Wiki yet; but MARTA seems to have been planned and approved before 1996 was a gleam in BIlly Payne's eye. But the fact that it was well into its realization stages going into 1996, helped Atlanta's bid very much. When I was there 1993-96, they were finishing the Buckhead station; and were working on the northern extension deeper into Dunwoody and Roswell. But since there were no venues there, that extension wasn't really crucial to be finished by July 1996.

I still love the VERY politically-INcorrect meaning of MARTA!! :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well you likely don’t get the opportunity to stomach it from waaaaaay down there now do you? I get to enjoy it often and as someone who spends time in the city I’m telling you it’s a super cool and I bet the IOC thought so too…….I guess there is evidence they did! :lol:

Again, what evidence? What makes Atlanta cooler than Athens, Toronto, Melbourne, Manchester or Belgrade? Define 'cool'. I appreciate your enthusiasm for ATL, I just disagree with your selective reasoning in interpreting why the IOC chose the city in 1990.

I’m not saying it wasn’t the secure/reliable/safe option….I’d call those positives too by the way……..I’m sayin there are MANY MANY MANY other reasone I’m quit sure many IOC members were VERY impressed with Atlanta. If you spend time in Atlanta you may understand it’s appeal more, if you never go there then like many you fall back on stereotypes. I travel extensively and my opinion is this city is a standout!

That is all great that you love it, but... I'm still confused. What are these reasons? Aside from the financial security, what did it have above the other 1996 bid cities? (Athens, Melbourne and Toronto in particular).

You said: “I understand that Atlanta embodies the leafy American suburban dream”.

I didn’t say that at all and it’s not what I focused on at all as the cities appeal…….to me Atlanta is about URBAN EVERGY as much as beautiful nature and gorgeous residential areas. I NEVER think of Atlanta as “suburban”, I don’t visit those types of areas when I’m in the city.

Well, as an urban planner, from all that I know of that city (or by simply looking at Google maps) it is one of the least densely populated US cities, up there with Phoenix. Generally, in almost every instance, this means the city tends to lack 'urban energy' as services are spread out without focus. I have heard constantly that Atlanta suffers from this problem.

I’m the one that LOVES driving on super freeways, I mentioned it cuz it’s fun and I always love cities (Chicago, LA, Houston) where freeways pass near or through the mega-skyscrapers and downtown core areas………always fun for speed and perspective. Since I’m often on the run that’s how I enter and leave the city….by car……so I enjoy a properly “SUPER” highway….gets me pumped to explore. If I could enter by helicopter I would!

Wait, so you're basing this on freeways? Bizarre...

1. Didn't say it was COOLER than any city you mentioned, it's cool to me, and I bet some old IOC geezers liked it too.

2. What did it have? I'm saying Atlanta had that intangible "thing" we talk about in winning cities. That's what I feel when I'm there, something special.

3. Density vs Urban.....that's another thing I love about Atlanta, it somehow has the energy without the typical core density you may be referring to. And it's got the glamour and it's a super duper sexy city, what can I say.

4.The freeway thing is my thing, I love cars and driving and I love super giant clean well kept freeways. I think it's fun when a huge freeway ducks under a skyscraper in a tunnel, has giant sweeping interchanges and curves around a city center and oh he'll yeah.......might as well pass an Olympic Cauldron and stadium on the way......my kinda road. Not talking IOC there just reminiscing on a recent drive!

Bottom line, there were many reasons Atlanta was the winner and host of the centennial games, I'd agree with any reason, I only wish they hosted 2012 instead of 1996 so I could have gone.

......aaaaaaanyway, when that frikin PC logo coming out, it better be good.

• Like 1