PyeongChang 2018 Emblem Unveiling

I didn't bother listening to whole lecture on the meaning of those pathetic symbols. But I could glean that you want the asterisk/snowflake sitting sligthly higher than the BOX :( so as to portray a "star" or something higher to aspire to. And that's the only effort I will put in in trying to understand such an antithesis of good logos -- something those Koreans apparently never heard of.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FYI to all, The PyeongChang 2018 Emblem Unveiling will take place May 3. The ceremony will take place at 15:00 in PyeongChang and Seoul.

Hope you studied Korean at school... http://youtu.be/BZ56O9ikGWc

I've just belatedly realised that, for all its artistic problems, the London 2012 logo got away with a well-calculated gamble. By emphasising time and almost ignoring place, it acknowledged that the

I dunno, I think the Olympic rings themselves are a great logo. Part of that might be because it is almost 100 years old and it is so familiar. But most of it is because it is a simple, classic, universal design that has a meaning and a story and anyone can doodle it onto a cocktail napkin with great ease. When you consider that it was unveiled in 1914 at a time when many logos were frilly and fancy, it was well ahead of its time.

I dunno, I think the Olympic rings themselves are a great logo. Part of that might be because it is almost 100 years old and it is so familiar. But most of it is because it is a simple, classic, universal design that has a meaning and a story and anyone can doodle it onto a cocktail napkin with great ease. When you consider that it was unveiled in 1914 at a time when many logos were frilly and fancy, it was well ahead of its time.

It was a stroke of genius. Plus, it can be adapted to add one more ring if need be. And which the IOC should've done going into their second century. But no, they then came up with the brilliant ambush story that the colors & rings represented colors found on every flag of the world RATHER than the old 5 continents story. :rolleyes: Saved those SOBs from having to change their story and their stationery. But they certainly asked the IPC to change theirs. :blink: Such a shrewd and Machiavellian organization!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

egsz.jpg

That's a good logo for a message board (like your GamesBids logo), or for something that will stand on its own.

But it's too fancy to incorporate into the "look" of the Games in a few years. And your colour and font no longer look Korean. Especially the asterisk, because the yellow, green and red bars need to touch to form the "CH" letter it represents in the Korean alphabet.

Sometimes simple is better. As they say, less is more. The logo doesn't need to be some eye-catching graphic. It only needs to serve a purpose, and I'd say the current logo represents a Korean Games just fine. The bid logo was more eye-catching and more graphic than the official logo, but there is nothing Korean about the bid logo.

The problem is people don't like things that are ahead of its time. They only come to appreciate it after. My guess is the 2018 logo will be appreciated by Games time.

Your above post- you could say the same about PC's logo in 30 years. A simple design with a meaning that anyone can doodle with great ease. As it was unveiled at a time when many logos were more fancy, it could be ahead of its time too. Never know.

Don't know if this story is true but I read somewhere that they were going to add a ring to the logo for each celebration of the games but then decided to keep the five ringed version that debuted at Antwerp (obviously this did not count cancelled celebrations or there would have been six rings). To me the five rings are the greatest symbol in the world (I'm biased, of course). In fact I almost got up and cheered during a church service a few years back when the minister mentioned in his message that a survey showed that more people worldwide knew what the five rings symbolized than knew the significance of the cross. That's the power of those rings. People generally (not us GBers) forget boomerangs, olive wreaths, snowflowers, samtaeguks, and other elements of logos past, but they never forget the rings.

The problem is people don't like things that are ahead of its time. They only come to appreciate it after. My guess is the 2018 logo will be appreciated by Games time.

Your above post- you could say the same about PC's logo in 30 years. A simple design with a meaning that anyone can doodle with great ease. As it was unveiled at a time when many logos were more fancy, it could be ahead of its time too. Never know.

But the Olympic rings stand for a 120 year old movement. PC18's logo is for a one off event within that movement. It shouldn't be 'ahead of its time'...it should be 'of its time'. I would say the logos of the age when the Olympic rings were introduced were more 'fancy'. Most of them were scripts and shields and crests (at least in the West). Today's logos are mostly stylized shapes and figures. The Olympic rings have that harmony of symmetry, simplicity, and balance. PC18 looks like they were trying to achieve that, but got lazy and didn't.

It isn't easy to build an iconic logo. Some hit the mark, but many miss. Nike, Apple, they got it right. Gap flopped. And I don't know what Microsoft's game is. But I don't think PC18 will resonate into the future as a great design. It just looks lazy and boring. Sure..I know what it looks like, but I don't care.

Edited by Kenadian
  • Like 1

I wonder if Istanbul is awarded to host the SOG they'd also follow the pattern and use those intricate islamic patterns (with Ottoman style) to conceptualize the Olympic spirit.

That would be great! Ottoman art is breathtaking.

I actually wish it would be a combiniation of Ottoman and Byzantine art!

These "new" logos will eventually be like the some of these ugly 1960s buildings. People who built them thought that they will look awesome in couple decades... oh well they were ugly then and are ugly now!

• Like 1

Oh, please.

But the Olympic rings stand for a 120 year old movement. PC18's logo is for a one off event within that movement. It shouldn't be 'ahead of its time'...it should be 'of its time'. I would say the logos of the age when the Olympic rings were introduced were more 'fancy'. Most of them were scripts and shields and crests (at least in the West). Today's logos are mostly stylized shapes and figures. The Olympic rings have that harmony of symmetry, simplicity, and balance. PC18 looks like they were trying to achieve that, but got lazy and didn't.

Touche. I hope Korea wins no more than 3 golds at those Games to serve them right for posting such a farcical piece of sh*t.

"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
Carl Sagan

"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."

Carl Sagan

So you feel the PC logo is in line with the achievements of Columbus, Fulton and the Wright Brothers?

To each their own.

And by the way, I'm not laughing. I'm bemoaning.

Sigh.....

I've said plenty of times in this thread I don't like the PC logo. It's in the Bozo the clown category for me, but that's beside the point. The point of that quote was to show the silliness of the "well, that was laughed at in its time..." argument. :mellow:

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

I think Olympic host cities now are competing for the title: "Who get the most unforgettable (but the ugliest) logo ever" :P

Hopefully, the IOC voters would also be pissed off by PC 2018 and go for Turkey's proposal in graphic design. Otherwise what could they expect from Madrid's bidding logos (equally horrible) and red circles (the Japanese coat of arms).

Oh, please.

Touche. I hope Korea wins no more than 3 golds at those Games to serve them right for posting such a farcical piece of sh*t.

I hope PC puts on a crappy opening ceremonies :D

(In before: "don't worry, they will...")

But the Olympic rings stand for a 120 year old movement. PC18's logo is for a one off event within that movement. It shouldn't be 'ahead of its time'...it should be 'of its time'.

There's nothing wrong with being "ahead of its time." Aren't all trend setters ahead of their time? When compared to the logos of the 90's and 00's, PC's logo is insanely simple on its face. If PC starts a trend which sees future hosts also having simple logos, then it will have become ahead of its time. (If it's a one-off logo, then at least it was different)

I'd rather PC be a trend setter than a follower. How many here would be complaining if PC chose a running man logo? "How boring!" Seoul's 1988 logo was a follower of LA 1984's logo. It looked nice, but it wasn't a logo that pushed boundaries, because Korea didn't have the confidence to push boundaries and upset the order of things. What I like about PC2018 is that it's trying something different. The fact that it bothers so many people is a good thing.

What I like about PC2018 is that it's trying something different. The fact that it bothers so many people is a good thing.

But it's a NEGATIVE feeling attached to it. I CAN'T believe after 3 strikes and a GREAT logo from RIol, they come up with this??? As Sigourney Weaver as Ripley in Alien II said: DId I just hear your IQ's do a freefall (or something like that)?? I mean I want to forget that image. It's like a bad affair you want to forget but can't. That is NOT a good or healthy thing.

Also, the PC logo it's bland and boring, but to point something positive, at least it represents something of the host country, which is the Korean Hangul script and the traditional Korean colors which are also in the Olympic rings (and the asterisk/Ch word, despite being ugly it clearly represents a snowflake). Besides, I think they did a good and interesting work with the Look of the Games, which is kinda nice and modern (I like Sochi LOTG but I can't help but feel that it's kinda too busy for my taste)

London, despite being dynamic and innovative, didn't represented nothing at all of the UK and for me it's still the biggest flop ever in the history of Olympic logos (even though it has a good number of supporters). Sochi logo, despite being elegant, is very corporative and looks like the logo of a website with the whole .ru thing rather than for an Olympics Also, like London, it doesn't represents anything at all of Russia (which is something serious considering a lot of people doesn't even know what or where is Sochi).

Despite this advantage which I think the PC logo has over these two IMO, it's still poorly executed and years behind excellent logos like the Rio 2016 and Beijing 2008 ones. Athens 2004 logo was very simplistic back in the days (I hated the logo a bit at first, to be honest) but it gave a much better impression than PC logo IMO.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, the potential of the logo is the Look of the Games, which would put it on a category similar to the London logo, since it also served as a basis for the look of the 2012 games.

I think the biggest mistake of the people who did the PC2018 logo was that they focused more on the korean viewers (which would get perfectly the symbolism of the logo) instead of thinking of the rest of the world (which will probably be very confused and won't understand its meaning at all)

Well, the PC18 logo isn't really ahead of its time. If so, the future is going to be boring.

Wait a minute...I knew it reminded me of something!

Torino_Mascot.jpg

It's just Aster breaking off a leg and hopping out of a box. LOL

But it's a NEGATIVE feeling attached to it. I CAN'T believe after 3 strikes and a GREAT logo from RIol, they come up with this??? As Sigourney Weaver as Ripley in Alien II said: DId I just hear your IQ's do a freefall (or something like that)?? I mean I want to forget that image. It's like a bad affair you want to forget but can't. That is NOT a good or healthy thing.

Wait, which one? This?

220px-2018_Winter_Olympics_logo.gif

London, despite being dynamic and innovative, didn't represented nothing at all of the UK and for me it's still the biggest flop ever in the history of Olympic logos (even though it has a good number of supporters). Sochi logo, despite being elegant, is very corporative and looks like the logo of a website with the whole .ru thing rather than for an Olympics Also, like London, it doesn't represents anything at all of Russia (which is something serious considering a lot of people doesn't even know what or where is Sochi).

I happen to like the 2012 logo, but it's beyond me how anyone could not like the 2018 logo and still like 2012. It doesn't say anything about London or Britain. It says the year. It literally says "2012." Britain could've promoted the year of 2012 without hosting an Olympics. Same goes with Sochi. I got nothing against it, but compared to 2018... what is so Russian about their logo?

London didn't need to or want to promote its Games with something out of a travel guide, and it still amazes me people think Olympic logos need to. Olympic Games and the reasoning behind them will become less and less about geography and more about social responsibility in the 21st century, and its brand has to recognise that.

The London Games were successful not simply because of its brand, but its mantra, its 'gravitas', its inclusiveness to the world, was harnessed through that logo. I can't say I feel that same connection to Rio's or many other Olympic logos.

As I've said PC's brand feels more of a brand for the IOC than a Games, it still doesn't feel it has any message apart from the bland 'renewed passion', etc, whatever that means in today's world. It's not trying to do anything, achieve anything. It needs, and many other Games do, a call to action, a chance to actually change something.

There's nothing wrong with being "ahead of its time." Aren't all trend setters ahead of their time? When compared to the logos of the 90's and 00's, PC's logo is insanely simple on its face. If PC starts a trend which sees future hosts also having simple logos, then it will have become ahead of its time. (If it's a one-off logo, then at least it was different)

I'd rather PC be a trend setter than a follower. How many here would be complaining if PC chose a running man logo? "How boring!" Seoul's 1988 logo was a follower of LA 1984's logo. It looked nice, but it wasn't a logo that pushed boundaries, because Korea didn't have the confidence to push boundaries and upset the order of things. What I like about PC2018 is that it's trying something different. The fact that it bothers so many people is a good thing.

Well, I can think of quite a few graphic possibilities that would bother many people and I can promise you it wouldn't be a good thing. Give it 30 seconds and I'm sure you can too...

This PC logo is not akin to crowds rioting in the streets after they heard Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" for the first time. That made people upset because it was so new and different and shocking.

Regarding the PC logo, people aren't upset. They just don't care. Apathy is not the typical response to earth-shaking innovation. I had one friend who said, "That's just silly." She's right. There's no revolution here. There's no challenge to the status quo. No shock. There's just bland failure.

London didn't need to or want to promote its Games with something out of a travel guide, and it still amazes me people think Olympic logos need to. Olympic Games and the reasoning behind them will become less and less about geography and more about social responsibility in the 21st century, and its brand has to recognise that.

The London Games were successful not simply because of its brand, but its mantra, its 'gravitas', its inclusiveness to the world, was harnessed through that logo. I can't say I feel that same connection to Rio's or many other Olympic logos.

As I've said PC's brand feels more of a brand for the IOC than a Games, it still doesn't feel it has any message apart from the bland 'renewed passion', etc, whatever that means in today's world. It's not trying to do anything, achieve anything. It needs, and many other Games do, a call to action, a chance to actually change something.

You and JMark were separated at birth. You sing the Hallelujah chorus in response to London's design. He sings it for the ceremonies. We hear you.

Regarding the PC logo, people aren't upset. They just don't care. Apathy is not the typical response to earth-shaking innovation. I had one friend who said, "That's just silly." She's right. There's no revolution here. There's no challenge to the status quo. No shock. There's just bland failure.

If you say so. ;)

You know what though, I could say the same for the American logos. The yellow and blue thing on the Salt Lake logo? 1989 Nintendo called, they want their poorly made koopa fireball graphic back. The 1984 LA logo, I personally happen to like. But someone in a far flung corner of the world calls 3 hard-on-the-eyes stars as being silly and completely devoid of meaning, well who am I to argue.

Edited by Gangwon