PyeongChang 2018 Emblem Unveiling

Tulsa ... we're waiting on your considered, unbiased opinion.

:P

Nothing wrong with logos having deeper meaning not obvious at first glance. I'd just like that first glance to be appealing, bold or intriguing. I don't see any resonance in this one in the first two criteria. As to intriguing ... well only as far as wondering "How did this get even suggested, much less approved?".

Pretty bloody telling when even an IOC's marketing man is tweeting his befuddlement.

Hello! I discovered this forum because of an article I read about the 2018 logo and I'm glad there's somewhere I can add my voice. i've been dying to discuss the logo but nobody else I know knows about the topic enough for me to convey my thoughts. So here I go! :) I've also volunteered at two winter games before (2002 and 2010), so I was very excited for this new design to come out!

I watched the presentation and I can't fully describe my opinion because I'm equally impressed and disappointed, if that makes any sense at all. The bare bones minimalism is so stark it works just because of how monumentally and post-modernist anti-design it is (like hipsterism I guess!). And I loved it in the single colour applications. On the other hand, the colours they used are the Olympic colours which are apparently analogous to the traditional Korean philosophical colours. I liked that idea of playing on that association as well.

This is what the BIG BIG problem is for me: Both ideas at the same time made the final logo appear underwhelming and bid logo-ish. I love the minimalism and the Korean-Olympic colour analogies, but separately. If the design used one or two less colours, or a palette that wasn't Olympic ring shades, the design would have been GREAT. OR If the design was more stylized with the lines being calligraphic, gradient, and 3-dimensional (perhaps to mimic Korean textiles), it would have also been GREAT. So basically, that's my opinion. I love both ideas but the way they married left more to be desired. In my opinion, judging logos from 2000 on, Pyeongchang is lower on the scale for me but it beats London (second to last) and Sochi (dead last), because Pyeongchang had two strong ideas as opposed to one half-hearted idea (like London and Sochi had with using font to convey a nebulous expression)

Just my thoughts! I can't wait for the 2020 design already. :)

That's why they've stopped doing those field formation representations of the logos on the infield by performers after Sydney because they are sooooooooooo LOUSY!! Not even communistish Beijing attempted it.

Where's the Matching Village Idiot logo for the Paralympics?? Or did those clueless Koreans forget that too?? :blink:

i remember that bit in Sydney with the marching bang of the world. it was awful but that's a different tread.

i think they are doing to use the same logo for the paralympics with different style. much like london.

i remember that bit in Sydney with the marching bang of the world. it was awful but that's a different tread.

i think they are doing to use the same logo for the paralympics with different style. much like london.

How was it awful? It was bloody epic, I thought. You must remember that the only benchmark for this kind of Ceremony back then was the mass spectacles that occurred between Moscow and Atlanta. There had been no Athens, Beijing, Vancouver or London. Sydney's ceremony straddles these two eras.

Given the context, it was entirely appropriate - and you can't deny watching it that they did it well, and provided a great flow from the performance segment of the Ceremony into the Parade of Nations (which was its actual purpose).

Edited by runningrings

Hello! I discovered this forum because of an article I read about the 2018 logo and I'm glad there's somewhere I can add my voice. i've been dying to discuss the logo but nobody else I know knows about the topic enough for me to convey my thoughts. So here I go! :) I've also volunteered at two winter games before (2002 and 2010), so I was very excited for this new design to come out!

I watched the presentation and I can't fully describe my opinion because I'm equally impressed and disappointed, if that makes any sense at all. The bare bones minimalism is so stark it works just because of how monumentally and post-modernist anti-design it is (like hipsterism I guess!). And I loved it in the single colour applications. On the other hand, the colours they used are the Olympic colours which are apparently analogous to the traditional Korean philosophical colours. I liked that idea of playing on that association as well.

Brilliant analogy! I love it, PC18... the minimalist hipster of Olympic logos... with London its raver, ecstasy-popping mate.

I guess too that this would make Sochi the nerdy web designer/Russian hacker of frenemy of the two.

• Like 2

PyeongChang's logo is so... so...

Democratic?

I mean, now, anyone with really few design vision can make professional olympic logos...

Thank you South Korea for giving Rio the title of only nice "meaningful complex" logo design of this decade in Olympism...

PyeongChang's logo is so... so...

Democratic?

I mean, now, anyone with really few design vision can make professional olympic logos...

Thank you South Korea for giving Rio the title of only nice "meaningful complex" logo design of this decade in Olympism...

I think the traditional nature of Rio's logo is that Brazil is making a big step in 2016 - the Olympics are its first chance to really present itself to the world (moreso than the WC) and the branding is important. Whereas, South Korea already did that in 1988, so there is less emphasis on defining the nation in a internationally palatable way. Look at London's logo, that is a product of the fact that the British weren't exactly making an entrance in 2012.

@LaFern: "the colours they used are the Olympic colours which are apparently analogous to the traditional Korean philosophical colours."

As with Beijing's running man (distorting a character meant to represent an elevated building), this is a bit of a cheat- green was considered a shade of blue until comparatively recent times, though it is now regarded as the colour of prosperity, hence its increasing use by Korean businesses.

I can't help wondering if a trick has been missed by the Koreans. Children on their first birthday traditionally wear a dol-bok, a garment with multicoloured stripes round the sleeves:

dolbok.jpg

If I'd been a Korean Olympic designer, I'd have taken that as an excuse to work five coloured rings directly into a logo.

Okay...seing the video which was posted some pages before, I like the logo just a little bit (I still hate it). The brand works quite nice with it. However I think the whole brand/logo was made mostly for korean people who will get and appreciate the meaning of the logo more than us. Which is a failure anyway, cuz the logo was supossed to appeal everyone.

So far, horrible logo. I hope they change it but I doubt it (back then there were a lot of purposals to change the London logo but they sticked to the Lisa-giving-a-Blowjob emblem till the end)

THIS BIG TIME

the video make it a bit better, and they use it good for the visual identity

but it is still a very weak logo

Some other good stuff from Michael Payne..

Michael.R Payne @MichaelRPayne1 4h

#PyeongChang2018 Emblem - sorry but worst Olympic emblem ever - good luck sponsors & media trying to make this work internationally !

Michael.R Payne @MichaelRPayne1 4h

#PyeongChang2018 Emblem - Korea has such design potential. IOC President called emblem 'innovative' - was this diplomatic speak for 'awful'?

Re: the first tweet, he could well be right. But thinking about it, I don't remember international sponsors making a big deal out of the Winter Olympics here. I think I can vaguely remember a Panasonic ad with some bob-sledders during Vancouver, but that's about it. I don't really remember any widespread campaigns like there were for London and Beijing. And the broadcasters, for all Games, tend to ignore the Officials logos and come up with their own little icon.

To be honest, I've written a lot in this topic but I'll probably hardly ever see this logo in reality! :D

Re: the first tweet, he could well be right. But thinking about it, I don't remember international sponsors making a big deal out of the Winter Olympics here. I think I can vaguely remember a Panasonic ad with some bob-sledders during Vancouver, but that's about it. I don't really remember any widespread campaigns like there were for London and Beijing. And the broadcasters, for all Games, tend to ignore the Officials logos and come up with their own little icon.

To be honest, I've written a lot in this topic but I'll probably hardly ever see this logo in reality! :D

Unless you buy McDonald's soft drink - Olympic logos always get a lot of exposure on the cups.

I may have to run for cover after this post, but I have to say that I did not hate Vancouver's logo. It's not one of my favorites, but I did not think it was anywhere near as bad as London, Sochi or PyeongChang. It was bold, colorful and easily recognizable. It had Vancouver-specific inspiration. Yes, it was a bit chunky and static and wasn't particularly athletic or wintry, but in comparison to what we've seen since, I think it was ok.

I may have to run for cover after this post, but I have to say that I did not hate Vancouver's logo. It's not one of my favorites, but I did not think it was anywhere near as bad as London, Sochi or PyeongChang. It was bold, colorful and easily recognizable. It had Vancouver-specific inspiration. Yes, it was a bit chunky and static and wasn't particularly athletic or wintry, but in comparison to what we've seen since, I think it was ok.

I agree

A logo doesn't have to be complex. Some of the best are the simple ones. The Olympic rings themselves come to mind. It is just that this one is so 'meh'. I get no feeling from it. I was never a fan of the London 2012 emblem, but at least it stirred a reaction within me. And I was disappointed with the Vancouver 2010 logo at first, but I grew to appreciate it. This thing just bores me. Even more so than Sochi's website wordmark, and that one's pretty boring.

Notice that all these crappy logos have come under the regime of Jacques Rogge? It's Jacques' fault!

A logo doesn't have to be complex. Some of the best are the simple ones. The Olympic rings themselves come to mind. It is just that this one is so 'meh'. I get no feeling from it. I was never a fan of the London 2012 emblem, but at least it stirred a reaction within me. And I was disappointed with the Vancouver 2010 logo at first, but I grew to appreciate it. This thing just bores me. Even more so than Sochi's website wordmark, and that one's pretty boring.

Notice that all these crappy logos have come under the regime of Jacques Rogge? It's Jacques' fault!

An interesting point there.

Let's imagine the reaction if the Olympic logo (the 5 rings) had been unveiled today, as the new logo of this new Olympic movement.

Im thinking it wouldn't have had a very good reaction. Of course, it's apples and oranges - a city distinctive logo to one of a generic sports event, but still, I don't think we would have been heaping praise on it.

In any case, I think the PC logo looks abit better in 1 colour, like at the bottom of the pc website.