PyeongChang 2018 Emblem Unveiling

are they already running out of money coz they couldnt have paid anyone to come up with that c*@p could they. Maybe they spent all the degin budget on the mascot and it going to be the best ever but i wont hold my breath.

Okay...seing the video which was posted some pages before, I like the logo just a little bit (I still hate it). The brand works quite nice with it. However I think the whole brand/logo was made mostly for korean people who will get and appreciate the meaning of the logo more than us. Which is a failure anyway, cuz the logo was supossed to appeal everyone.

So far, horrible logo. I hope they change it but I doubt it (back then there were a lot of purposals to change the London logo but they sticked to the Lisa-giving-a-Blowjob emblem till the end)

This logo feels a bit like a piece of German design to me.

I think the video gives me great hopes in the overall look of the Games. This logo is more part of this overall look than a standalone thing.

• Like 2

^^ I have to agree with that. The look of the games I saw on the vid was not bad, and I hope they end up using that one (or at least something similar) cuz the logo gains a lot of points with it.

But standalone the logo is horrible. I had to read/watch the description/video to understand it was based on the Hangul script.

RobH, on 03 May 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

http://www.logodesignsource.com/types.html

2010: dull combination mark (dull icon with dull wordmark)

2012: dynamic icon

2014: dynamic wordmark

2016: dynamic combination mark

2018: dull combination mark (dull logo with dull wordmark)

So I'd put this in the same category as Vancouver's personally.

But Vancouver's look was so artistic and beautiful it barely mattered that their logo was uninteresting. PC can do the same - develop a great "look" and the logo will just be sprinkled around where it's needed a la Vancouver.

Judging by the animations in the video - that is what is going to happen. This logo is merely the official stamp of the Games, and sample of a greater use of this branding everywhere. It might not feature as prominently as other Games logos, but I'm sure the style and theme we see today is what the overall look in 2018 will be heavily drawn upon. From this perspective, I think they've delivered something extremely interesting, and flexible. Today could be said to be merely the sample of bigger things to come.

However I disagree that this logo is dull and non dynamic. I think its hard to dismiss it as non dynamic when we haven't even given it a chance to be applied - as someone who describes your own city's logo as a "dynamic icon" after the global flogging it got in 2007... look how well that evolved over time.

Edited by runningrings

are they already running out of money coz they couldnt have paid anyone to come up with that c*@p could they. Maybe they spent all the degin budget on the mascot and it going to be the best ever but i wont hold my breath.

What do you propose then from the comfort of your armchair in Ballarat?

Edited by runningrings

According to that logic, both London and Sochi were running out of money too, don't you think? :rolleyes:

Athensfan, on 03 May 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

People are trying so hard to be different that they are forgetting they need to do something that actually looks good.

What is wrong with "trying" to be different? If we didn't have any evolution (through brave marketing choices) we'd still be lumped with logos like Helsinki and Melbourne, before the likes of Squaw Valley, Tokyo, Mexico City and Munich made some drastic marketing and brand decisions that altered the way we consume the Olympic brand forever.

Not everyone will be pleased with every choice, that is a given as it always comes down to an element of personal taste.

Anyway, I don't even know that the PC18 logo is even trying to be different, from the perspective of the Korean people, its actually giving them something familiar and directly engaging and appealing with the host nation. I think that is fantastic.

I applaud innovation. There's nothing wrong with doing something different, but not at the expense of aesthetic value. I feel that's the trend in Olympic design. It's different and ugly. Why not do something different and attractive for a change?

I'm so weary of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". By that account a kindergartener's finger painting might as well be a Picasso. No one who says such things works in the design field.

Right, we get it -- you work in the design field. You relayed that point enough Athensfan. You've just reiterated it twice to me in another thread and are now doing it.

However, you're not the authority on what people can like or dislike?

Maybe oneday when you become good at your job, you'll get commisions for big sporting events?

I know that Korean language is in the logo and that's great, buy advertising Pyeongchang globally with that logo will be hard, some people will only say "boring"! If the host city is not known you must create something unique, to make everybody notice it. Not this...

I know that Korean language is in the logo and that's great, buy advertising Pyeongchang globally with that logo will be hard, some people will only say "boring"! If the host city is not known you must create something unique, to make everybody notice it. Not this...

I thought the video they produced with it was very elegant and conveyed the logo/brand well. Maybe the logo will also form the pictograms etc?

Right, we get it -- you work in the design field. You relayed that point enough Athensfan. You've just reiterated it twice to me in another thread and are now doing it.

However, you're not the authority on what people can like or dislike?

Maybe oneday when you become good at your job, you'll get commisions for big sporting events?

I'm sorry, Oaky. If you like this design, that's your right. We just have to agree to disagree.

To clarify, I responded to two different posters in two different threads. Frankly, I'm not sure one's occupation is proof of much anyway. Obviously there are plenty of weak designers out there.

I do have a problem with the idea that no one is supposed to make an aesthetic valuation because everything is equally wonderful/terrible. I just don't buy that.

I thought the video they produced with it was very elegant and conveyed the logo/brand well. Maybe the logo will also form the pictograms etc?

Stick figures, I'd expect.

Ilanaak strikes again! Thanks, Vancouver.

2012%2BWinter%2BYouth%2BOlympic%2Bmascot

And somebody said my logo looked stupid???

Innsbruck_logo_BIG.jpg

Nanjing logo is even worse than this, and that's not saying much either. I pretty much hate the whole YOG logo and identity.

Yeah, but most of the world knows already who Russia and South Korea are. So I guess they tought it wasn't needed to make such a flashy publicity of a country who is already known (even if the city who actually hosts is not).

1988 was a different story, though. SK was just doing their first steps to become what they are now and I guess that's why they relied back then on the Aeguka.

I'm sorry, Oaky. If you like this design, that's your right. We just have to agree to disagree.

To clarify, I responded to two different posters in two different threads. Frankly, I'm not sure one's occupation is proof of much anyway. Obviously there are plenty of weak designers out there.

I do have a problem with the idea that no one is supposed to make an aesthetic valuation because everything is equally wonderful/terrible. I just don't buy that.

Stick figures, I'd expect.

I get it. Sometime's I hate something and I'll say "that's utter crap". And we all think our opinions merit truth sometimes. But it just struck me -- how does a logo become bad. Can we prove it. Maybe this is a bad logo but what criteria makes it bad? Can we prove it?

That's all I was asking. I also studied in a field of design too -- product/industrial design so I'm very much concerned with the design of things.

My first thought when I saw this logo was that it had a stripped, minimalist aesthetic that just appealed to me. It was different. Sort of of cool a la the Berlin 1990s Olympic bid logo. But that was just my view of it. I also thought the video was very slick.

As for the last part of your post i agree. I was only asking how we can prove something to be bad -- I'm genuinely interested as to that. But I agree things aren't always as subjective as we make out. Don't get me started on modern art. Or Picasso. lol

I get it. Sometime's I hate something and I'll say "that's utter crap". And we all think our opinions merit truth sometimes. But it just struck me -- how does a logo become bad. Can we prove it. Maybe this is a bad logo but what criteria makes it bad? Can we prove it?

With Olympics logos, no. Sponsors, broadcasters etc. are all on multi-games deals. They buy into the rings, they buy into the second most valuable international brand after Apple (http://www.marketingmag.com.au/news/olympics-jumps-to-second-most-valuable-brand-only-beaten-by-apple-16892/), and the same goes for domestic sponsors.

If the logo does its job, which all recent logos have done (and given the amount spent on them they ought to!), then that's grand. Everything else is in the eye of the beholder. Objective comparisons between Olympic logos are probably impossible.

Athensfan, I'm not sure this is really the thread for arguments about the merits of relativism. You say "a kindergartener's finger painting might as well be a Picasso". Well, yes, if you take things to extremes then the relativist argument looks absurd. What we're mostly comparing here though are logos created by one highly paid design agency vs logos created by another highly paid design agency. I'm with you, not oaky, in disliking this 2018 logo, but unlike you I liked London's and Sochi's. So where does that leave us?

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

I think it's a step too far to say (as has been mentioned in other threads) that this logo will negatively impact the games. I don't think a logo design will sway opinion 1 way or the other in that regard.

That said.. this logo is supposed to represent these Olympics and their organizing committee. And gauging by the reactions, most folks here are thoroughly unimpressed (myself included). So right now, we have a somewhat negative opinion of these Olympics. It goes without saying that we're looking at nearly 5 years until February 2018 so there will be a thousand more things that come along that will shape our opinion of the PyeongChang Olympics before the games even open and that by then, the logo may be the least of everyone's concerns.

Personally, as I said last night, I'm not a fan. I get what they were trying to do, but I'm not a fan of their minimalist approach. With the London 2012 logo, for all the backlash they received, at least to me it seemed like a bold choice, even though many thought it was a little too out there. This feels like the opposite of that. It just seems too plan and simple to represent an event like the Olympics.

/\/\ Well, that's probably a question that's crossed the IOC Executive Board's minds. Because ultimately they approve the logo. I wonder:

1. which logos, if any, they're turned down outright in the past; and

2. If they ask the various OCOG to submit at least TWO logos and that the Exec Board will make the ultimate decision???

But with those people very conscious of looks and image and design, I really wonder how Vancouver, London, Sochi and now, PC slipped past the IOC portals? Except for Rio, the recent crop/crap is just god-awful!!

They need independent design consultants. And I can just imagine the stink going up in the TOP sponsors' boardrooms now. We paid a fracking $80 million to carry this thing??? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The look of the Games of PC 2018 seems pretty intereseting, but I still find it too simple for the Olympics. Anyway, it's also too weak according what we have seen lately in the Winter Olympics. Remember the look of the games in Lillehammer, Salt Lake, Torino, Vancouver and recently in Innsbruck. All of them were great!

Anyway, it's, for far, the weakest Korean logo we have seen. Let's remember and compare

seul1988-Nota_.jpg

LogoCorea.jpg

Daegu11Logo.jpg

logo_2013_1-400x390.jpg

incheon-2014-logo.jpg

262409_10200855084000906_2027567746_n.jp