PyeongChang 2018 Emblem Unveiling

I can see how the logo has potential in being integrated in other aspects of Games design, however, the logo in itself - Im not sold. Would have been nice if the video was translated into English.

I'm assuming its a Korean character meaning??? Anybody know Korean? I'm guessing its similar to Beijing spelling out "Jing" = Capital.

It is certainly a logo from the London School of Olympic logos - certainly not traditional - which really leaves Rio 2016 all alone right now.

32171999459a5782f22b6b8445d08bcd.png

Personally I feel its too weak, really low impact.

It reminds me of a college students work, there may be a slight spark of an idea it just hasnt been taken anywhere or explored. Still at least its not a prancing figure. First impressions 1 out of 5

• Like 1

Really?! I'm a fan of London's and Sochi's, but this is just terible, even the font looks like no thought has gone into it. Zero drama or impact or dynamism. The "look" better be brilliant; perhaps context will make this work. Not convinced AT ALL on first seeing it.

Edited by RobH

Personally I feel its too weak, really low impact.

It reminds me of a college students work, there may be a slight spark of an idea it just hasnt been taken anywhere or explored. Still at least its not a prancing figure. First impressions 1 out of 5

I agree - it looks like somebody hit two keys of the keyboard with closed eyes Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Pretty much the consensus right after London unveiled its logo in 2007.

The simplistic idea isn't a bad one.

I think the composition though is one of its biggest downfalls. I look at it, and at best it looks like the design of a poster. The thing just spreads out in all directions with no form and position.

Usually the Olympic rings have the magic power of grounding even a below par logo, making it all come together, but they can't manage it with this.

It just looks like a little kid has been given a piece of a4 people, and drawn a house and a snowflake.

Can it be saved?

Thing with logo, is they said they had a plan, and to an extent, they did - and it improved in most peoples eyes I think , even if it was only slightly , Not so sure where they can go with this though.

It needs to be framed somehow, and they certainly need to change the font.

Even the similarly stickish Borjomi 2014 bid logo had more form than this.

I think it's distinct use of Olympic colours is great, and really only Vancouver has been this colourful, and "Olympic" flavoured in that way. I love that its non symmetrical, and its very underestimated and through this, I think it's quite offbeat.

I think the problem some people have with "impact" is that its slightly anorexic, the lines are thin.

I'm a fan of traditional logos, but I have time for this and I think it's important to let it simmer before writing it off.

Stick it in the corner of a poster or at the top of a letterhead or sewn small into the lapel of a jacket and it'll be unobtrusive and just fine. I can't imagine it commanding anything bigger.

I'll give it time though. It's on its lonesome at the moment so not fair to judge completely yet.

Edited by RobH

I hated their bid logo, but it was better than this.

Some of us still think London was a disaster, but no one called it boring. PC is BORING and dead looking. Zero life or interest.

I wouldn't say it's boring. I think Sochi was boring in the beginning (and to a lesser extent, Rio) but they've both managed to expand and and setting into distinct branding.

I think it has a fragile, delicate look to it - almost like bamboo in a Korean garden.

They've spared us cold, wintery themes that are transferable to anywhere in the world with winter culture, and given is us something simply Korean and minimal.

Kinda loving being alone on this!

It's really terrible. And I've never thought that at a logo launch before. Okay I wasn't convinced by london at the launch - but at least london had impact! (And I ended up loving it!)

A logo is supposed to have an impact and be instantly recognisable isn't it? This gets so easily lost - using all five olympic colours looks confused, the font has had no work at all. Not a fan of this one - and not sure how it can evolve at all?

One of the things I like about the logos usually (I'm thinking london, vancouver here for instance) is that when you start putting them into the games look they seem to change slightly and compliment the look. vancouvers logo went all blue coloured and that matched the look. Londons ability to Change colour to match the venue look was fantastic I think. How is this going to work with a look? Unless the look is all stick lines too I guess?

Seoul-1988-Olympics-logo.jpeg

Now that's a logo!

Seoul 1988 did it right. PyeongChang 2018 has failed in many respects.

I get the idea that it's a homage to Korean character writing and so forth, but to the casual viewer, all they would mostly see is a box and an asterisk. They won't be seeing any bamboo and so forth, and if they just read it as is, probably wouldn't even associate that asterisk as a vague attempt at a snowflake, a common symbol for the Winter Olympics.

I hated London's too, but at least that got people talking. This probably screams for people to make a comment about it, rather than just noting on how boring and uninspiring it is.

It's really terrible. And I've never thought that at a logo launch before. Okay I wasn't convinced by london at the launch - but at least london had impact! (And I ended up loving it!)

A logo is supposed to have an impact and be instantly recognisable isn't it? This gets so easily lost - using all five olympic colours looks confused, the font has had no work at all. Not a fan of this one - and not sure how it can evolve at all?

One of the things I like about the logos usually (I'm thinking london, vancouver here for instance) is that when you start putting them into the games look they seem to change slightly and compliment the look. vancouvers logo went all blue coloured and that matched the look. Londons ability to Change colour to match the venue look was fantastic I think. How is this going to work with a look? Unless the look is all stick lines too I guess?

Very valid observation.

My initial thought is that the greater look of 2018 will take a sort of scattered pick up sticks look. Just a thought

Seoul-1988-Olympics-logo.jpeg

Now that's a logo!

Seoul 1988 did it right. PyeongChang 2018 has failed in many respects.

I get the idea that it's a homage to Korean character writing and so forth, but to the casual viewer, all they would mostly see is a box and an asterisk. They won't be seeing any bamboo and so forth, and if they just read it as is, probably wouldn't even associate that asterisk as a vague attempt at a snowflake, a common symbol for the Winter Olympics.

I was the one who made the bamboo garden observation, and I am a "casual viewer" with that impression- so how can you say others wont take that away from it?

I hated London's too, but at least that got people talking. This probably screams for people to make a comment about it, rather than just noting on how boring and uninspiring it is.

So this doesn't have people talking? I'd say it has so far succeeded more than Rio has, whose clever, but very safe logo passed without a blip last year.

Almost forgot--- where is the PARALYMPIC logo ???