PyeongChang 2018 Emblem Unveiling

^^ Thanks for the info! I hope the new logo doesn't disappointing and is at least on pair with Rio's one.Korea usually does nice logos such as the one for Incheon 2014, which I like a lot.

The current logo is not bad actually, although I hate the horrible text font they used on it. I hope they replace it with something better.

@olympicdreamin:
"London- master stroke
Sochi- failure "

The main pieces of 2012 post-games merchandising- the BBC 5-DVD set and the DVD of the official movie "First"- both chose not to feature the London 2012 logo anywhere on the disc or packaging artwork. So it looks as if the London logo was found, in hindsight, to be a failure. Sochi's heavy-handed main logo, I agree, is likely to suffer a similar fate.

The BBC hasn't used the official emblem of any Games in its coverage as far as I can remember. And I doubt many are even aware of the Official Film; I don't suppose the thousands wearing the T-shirts with the London logo in it last Summer for whom the London Games are now just a fond memory are necessarily aware of it. I don't think either of those cases prove anything.

In all honesty, Olympics sell themselves these days. The merchandise, the tickets, the event, having Global Companies pushing it years in advance, national broadcasters needing to ensure its success....a logo is going to make sod-all difference either way for the most part. I can't believe anyone could monetise the value of a good Olympic logo versus a bad one. And if you can't monetise it because it's such a tiny factor in the grand scheme, all we're left with is personal judgement.

My personal judgement: I happen to like both London's and Sochi's logos. I've said enough about London's on this forum so won't repeat it here. Sochi's will prove to be a clean, modern word-mark against its busy "look" and as a stand alone word-mark in venues will work well too. And I also like Athens' and Rio's because they're original, and look like time and thought has gone into them. I'm less in love with all the Barcelona rip-offs we've seen over the years (Sydney, Beijing, Vancouver in particular, Singapore etc.).

Whatever we get for 2018, I hope it's original.

Edited by RobH
  • Like 2

I'm less in love with all the Barcelona rip-offs we've seen over the years (Sydney, Beijing, Vancouver in particular, Singapore etc.).

How is Vancouver a rip off of Barcelona? One was a man running and the other was an inukshuk.

• Like 1

While I'd admit Sydney's is very similar to Barcelona, I'd stop short at calling it a rip off - I think it's one of the best looking logos of all time, and sincerely reflects Sydney- the opera house, the harbour, the olympic flame, indigenous culture,.. boomerangs! It looked slick.

Beijing's also went for the running figure, but given its a Mandarin character for "Jing/capital" for which Beijing takes its name "bei"- north= Northern Capital. It was a good fit.

While Barcelona inspired many logos for decades to come, they have all been relevant for the host city (perhaps barring Singapore).

I can quite work out how Barcelonas logo reflects Barcelona or Spain...

I think Barcelona's logo was more a case of

While I'd admit Sydney's is very similar to Barcelona, I'd stop short at calling it a rip off - I think it's one of the best looking logos of all time, and sincerely reflects Sydney- the opera house, the harbour, the olympic flame, indigenous culture,.. boomerangs! It looked slick.

Beijing's also went for the running figure, but given its a Mandarin character for "Jing/capital" for which Beijing takes its name "bei"- north= Northern Capital. It was a good fit.

While Barcelona inspired many logos for decades to come, they have all been relevant for the host city (perhaps barring Singapore).

I can quite work out how Barcelonas logo reflects Barcelona or Spain...

I think Barcelona's logo was more a case of it being an intangible reflection of Barcelona, as opposed to geographical/landmark/cultural references. Looking at the logo, kind of gives you that feeling of a warm open arms welcome under the Catalan sky, aswell as those familiar colours of Spain.

I think we just need to stay well clear of calligraphy references for the 2018 logo, as it's been well overdone. It will be interesting though, as the host city has no real well known icons to show in the logo. I also don't see the region as having the drive of Sochi to brand itself on the world stage (apart from the aspiration to be one of Asias top winter sport hubs of course), so it will be interesting to see what they deliver.

In the end, a logo becomes just a logo as people tie the design to the experience of the event. Three years later, and you still see Vancouver's Olympic logo sported on baseball caps and sweatshirts all across the streets of this city. No doubt that is true of London, Sydney or Salt Lake. Design agencies like to call them 'brands' but brands are much bigger than that - it is the experience and the sentiment, not the design. Granted, design reflects the intention and sets the expectation. Athens set up an expectation of a classic but modern experience and London set up an idea of something energetic and different, so what PyeongChang is about to reveal will be a design reflecting their intentions with the 2018 Games.

• Like 1

My two favorite Olympic logos are LA 1984 and Barcelona 1992. Both were very clean and iconic. Both captured the feeling and ambiance of their respective Games. If pressed, I have to say Barcelona's is the best ever because of its distinctive simplicity. Other logos have worked fine, but Barcelona's is the only one that really excites me from a design perspective.

I think Barcelona's logo was more a case of it being an intangible reflection of Barcelona, as opposed to geographical/landmark/cultural references. Looking at the logo, kind of gives you that feeling of a warm open arms welcome under the Catalan sky, aswell as those familiar colours of Spain.

I think we just need to stay well clear of calligraphy references for the 2018 logo, as it's been well overdone. It will be interesting though, as the host city has no real well known icons to show in the logo. I also don't see the region as having the drive of Sochi to brand itself on the world stage (apart from the aspiration to be one of Asias top winter sport hubs of course), so it will be interesting to see what they deliver.

I remember reading in the official guide in 1992 that as well as being some dynamic athlete, it also had some connection to the breakdown of the name Barcelona in Catalan. Just did this quick check on it:

At the start of the 80s, reference was made to Barcelona as the three syllables Bar, cel, ona, which mean respectively in Catalan ‘bar’, ‘sky’ and ‘wave’.

Oh-Barcelona

Though looking at the actual logo now, I'm not sure if I can see such a direct connection.

My two favorite Olympic logos are LA 1984 and Barcelona 1992. Both were very clean and iconic. Both captured the feeling and ambiance of their respective Games. If pressed, I have to say Barcelona's is the best ever because of its distinctive simplicity. Other logos have worked fine, but Barcelona's is the only one that really excites me from a design perspective.

My favourite to date has to be Athens' - I suppose only Greece can do it, but such a nice way to represent the host country, the Games themselves, and the ancient games.

Usedto hate Atlanta but I it grew on me BIG time......I'm in the ATL rightnow.......anybody who talks any sh!t about this city is missing the boat, thisplace is a-m-a-z-i-n-g! Too bad they already had their Olympics, would havebeen mega today after all the glamour growth of the last 20 years.

Atlanta1996 left serious legacy for this city, too bad so many here don’t know this incredibleAmerican city. I can understand why they were chosen, and I don’t think it wasa mistake.

I was thinking all the American games seemed to figure out how to have the main stadium in the middle of their busy city hubs, not at far away parks, and Atlanta’s was amazing on that rise above downtown.