Belgrade Olympic Bid

pcelica

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they didn't spend that much money of venues, a lot of money is stolen during the building process, corruption :angry:

Sure, some of the money went to corruption, but to say that they didn't spend much on the venues, when they had absolutely nothing there to begin with, is a total understatement. Venues aren't cheap. Especially ones that would meet to the IOC's liking.

And its not just venues that the money is being spent on. They also upgraded their transport network & build new roads to Krasnaya Polyana. They're also going to need an operating budget which will also run into the billions. None of that stuff is cheap, either, ya know. The Olympics just aren't cheap, even if one were to be run on a more 'fiscally sound' proposal.

Actually, only 6 bids came forward for 1992. And Belgrade just kept losing votes in the consecutive rounds, until finally eliminated in the third round & ending up with only 5 votes. They also bid for 1996 & were the first ones out (with 6 cities again) with only 7 votes.

I know about the vote breakdown for 1992. Forgot about their attempt for 1996 as well.

@Prelica, I'd rather indulge your notion that Belgrade has Olympic potential instead of the picture cavalcade you give us. No one here is VOTING, so no need to put in 50 pictures of Belgrade. Let the fan boys at SkyscraperCity do that and clog their computers. It is so irritating here. Or at least break it up to like 4 per post.

@Prelica, I'd rather indulge your notion that Belgrade has Olympic potential instead of the picture cavalcade you give us. No one here is VOTING, so no need to put in 50 pictures of Belgrade. Let the fan boys at SkyscraperCity do that and clog their computers. It is so irritating here. Or at least break it up to like 4 per post.

Agreed. pcelica.. we get you think that Belgrade is a wonderful city and judging by these photos, it does look very beautiful. But so are many other cities that would bid for a Summer Olympics. Remember.. this is a competition. If Belgrade can't prove itself more worthy of hosting an Olympics than the other cities that are bidding (and good luck with that), all the pretty pictures in the world will not get it done for them. Belgrade, like so many other cities, has the capability of hosting an Olympics. Would they get selected by the IOC as their choice to host the Olympics? That's another story entirely.

Sure, some of the money went to corruption, but to say that they didn't spend much on the venues, when they had absolutely nothing there to begin with, is a total understatement. Venues aren't cheap. Especially ones that would meet to the IOC's liking.

And its not just venues that the money is being spent on. They also upgraded their transport network & build new roads to Krasnaya Polyana. They're also going to need an operating budget which will also run into the billions. None of that stuff is cheap, either, ya know. The Olympics just aren't cheap, even if one were to be run on a more 'fiscally sound' proposal.

Sorry, I didn't express myself the best (also i need to apologize for my bad English ;)), they did spend money of venues and all you mentioned, i wanted to say that part of the money was stolen by corrupted people :angry:

ofc they aren't, but if there wasn't corruption for example, whole photo will look more pleasant (about the money they spent)

but it is good that they will use all those venues and Russians need them unlike London, for example they don't need any more handball hall, it's not popular sport there and i don't see any interest to they improve, same with water polo

I know about the vote breakdown for 1992. Forgot about their attempt for 1996 as well.

Lol, what SkyscraperCity has to do with this forum?

Hm, I can't reduce it on 4 since i am only member and can't edit my posts, right? :D

Agreed. pcelica.. we get you think that Belgrade is a wonderful city and judging by these photos, it does look very beautiful. But so are many other cities that would bid for a Summer Olympics. Remember.. this is a competition. If Belgrade can't prove itself more worthy of hosting an Olympics than the other cities that are bidding (and good luck with that), all the pretty pictures in the world will not get it done for them. Belgrade, like so many other cities, has the capability of hosting an Olympics. Would they get selected by the IOC as their choice to host the Olympics? That's another story entirely.

And it is wonderful city, you don't have to think, visit and you will be 100% sure :D

well, Belgrade didn't sumbit candidature yet. When decide to do it, must make candidature that IOC can't turn down to get it, we are all aware of it ofc. But this applies to all cities who want to bid.

And thank you, btw.

@Prelica, SSC also has similar threads to hear about cities bidding for the Oympics...and fans like yourself, go crazy posting photos there. That's what my comment ahs to do with SSC city. ANd there are many posters here who cross both boards.

Haven't seen those threads, but i believe you didn't have any idea how Belgrade looks like :P

Haven't seen those threads, but i believe you didn't have any idea how Belgrade looks like :P

anyway, i put accent on atmosphere not of the look of the city. Look at the videos in my signature and you will understand what i am trying to say

@prelica, I am sure if I was THAT interested in Belgrade, I could be able to look up fotos on my own. ;)

pcelica :P

just skip parts in which you are not interested, i can not claim something without posting proves, it would be childish from my side :P

U can't skip it if there are MANY, MANY pics clogging up the thread. It takes a long time for the thread to unspool when many pics are really unnecessary. But I am sometimes interested in one's views. That's all I'm saying.

now you know on which page photos are and will be easy to skip them

but it doesn't mean that i won't put photos when new objects appear :P

then why doesn't Belgrade bid again? They did make the final 7 in 1986 (for 1992).

When the IOC was still accepting any candidate (i.e those that actually followed up with their bids, rather than withdrew).

Ironic that the bid videos for Belgrade's 1992 bid promoted peace, a friendly peoples, welcoming and family, what with their somewhat troubled history in the early 90's.

When the IOC was still accepting any candidate (i.e those that actually followed up with their bids, rather than withdrew).

Ironic that the bid videos for Belgrade's 1992 bid promoted peace, a friendly peoples, welcoming and family, what with their somewhat troubled history in the early 90's.

There was civil war in Yugoslavia, nothing to do with Belgrade as city, war which didn't start in Serbia at all :P

Belgrade was 3 times bombed in it's history which is very said, (2 times by nazzi in WW2 and in 1999 by Nato), city had strength 3 times to rebuild

There was civil war in Yugoslavia, nothing to do with Belgrade as city, war which didn't start in Serbia at all :P

Belgrade was 3 times bombed in it's history which is very said, (2 times by nazzi in WW2 and in 1999 by Nato), city had strength 3 times to rebuild

I just found it Ironic that's all. But then again you didn't know (at the time) what the future would bring and were riding on the high of a successful Sarajevo 1984 Winter Olympics.

I just found it Ironic that's all. But then again you didn't know (at the time) what the future would bring and were riding on the high of a successful Sarajevo 1984 Winter Olympics.

But unfortunately, nobody except Barceona had chances than with Samaranch as president

Archived