Sign in to follow this  
Davosmad

20 reasons to be optimist

Today i could read a news which explains the real geo-political situation in the 2020 election. It is in Spanish but i have tried to traslate the main ideas.

http://www.marca.com/2013/03/23/mas_deportes/otros_deportes/1364046265.html?a=PR8b1eddc2f85e71a9d2cf291cb7dd93d22&t=1364047845

1. Madrid 2020 is better than the last two bids before: compact and using emblematics venues.

2. Spanish Government runs with the account if there is deficit. And it has signed the guarantees of which it will be he who supports.

3. Clear answers to the evaluation comission. There werent any question without an answer.

4. The COI belongs partial to a new model. Pekín (40.000 million Euros), London (19.000), Rio (14.000), Sochi (50.000), Vancouver (9.200)... The Games walk towards an intolerable escalation of expenses, which reduces his universality because only a few countries can choose them. The trend wants to be invested. The budget of Madrid 2020 would be of 4.100.

5. Spain has 3 members IOC. The are doing a strong lobbie in the heart of the IOC.

6. Tokyo and the fear of the earthquakes.

7. Asia has hosted 4 Olympics events in 10 years: Beijing 2008, Singapur 2010, Nanjing 2014 and Pyongyang 2018. To much events in a few years.

8. Spanish successful of the athlets: Nadal, football, basketball national team, handball national team, Pau Gasol, Mireia Belmonte, Fernando Alonso...

9. The cases of abuse in Judo from Japan.

10. People from the sport are responsable of Madrid 2020, and this question likes IOC.

11. The delay of Sochi and Rio, in favour of Madrid. The evident delays that take the cities of Rio and, especially, Sochi with a view to the Olympic and Paralympic Games of 2016 and 2014 they play in favour of Madrid. The IOC cannot allow any more risks in cities as Istanbul, which still has great for constructing.

12. Istanbul, far from the Olympian dimension. Istanbul, a city of any more than 11 million inhabitants, chaotic enough, does not look like the best possible scene to organize a few Olympic Games. The traffic between headquarters can be dense. In Madrid, one of the observers timed the distance of the Magic Box Tennis (the most distant installation) to the hotel in 13 minutes, one before what it was putting in the Bid book.

13. Qatar wants the games and Istanbul is problem for their objective.

14. Turkey doesnt have WADA lab. Ankara lost it after the scandal of basket player Diana Taurasi. Spain has two: Madrid and Barcelone, and Japan one in Tokyo.

15. The problem with Syria, Kurdistan and Armenia.

16. 13 members from Royal families. Spanish Royal Family has an excellent relations with most of them.

17. Alejandro Blanco chief of Madrid 2020 has a close relation with Jacques Rogge. And Jacques Rogge want the games in Madrid. He called two years ago the mayor of Madrid to involve him in the third olympic project for Madrid.

18. Jacques Roge is moving to the latin block.

19. Senkaku Islands. China, South Korea and Taipei want the islands an Japan took it last year without any agreement with this 3 countries which have strong lobbies inside the IOC.

20. The crisis is not had in account in the COI The last point is the most important. The COI has stressed already two times that the Spanish crisis is not a problem to give the Games to Madrid. It is more, gives the sensation that to be able to save an entire generation, ballasted for few opportunities and the unemployment, it can end up by being the great Olympian legacy.

Bullshits, i dont like when some say bad things of others for become good other... I want Madrid 2020 , but post like this can hurt sensibilities... Tokyo earthquakes... Please what a bullshit... This can happen everywhere, and those things about Turkiye...

Well, i hope my own compatriots make forum lobby in good way and dont show what minor people say in bad way.

Everything with peace and relaxing, this is my opinion.

I' ve said.

1. Agreed

2. Agreed

3. I'll take your word for that.

4. Madrid wants to believe the IOC is looking for a new financial model. I see no reason to believe this or to rule out the other bids.

5. Agree, Spain has political power in the IOC.

6. I think you can overplay the Earthquke thing. Many parts of the world are prone to natural disaster.

7. Barcelona 92, London 2012? I wouldn't bring up past Games if I were you, it looks worse for Spain than Tokyo!

8. Good point, a shame the Spanish Olympic team wasn't very strong last time out.

9. Abuse cases in Japan aren't good, but nor is Fuentes for Spain.

10. Yes

11. Sochi seems to be more or less on track. Rio is slightly behind. I don't think this will play on their minds too much when selected a host for 2020.

12. Most definitely. Istanbul's traffic compared with Madrid's compact modern public transport are a point Madrid needs to keep making.

13. he IOC doesn't care what Qatar thinks. They didn't shortlist Doha and they don't want to look like FIFA.

14.True, but Spain has only just passed anti-doping laws, and as I mentioned above is dealing with a rather senstive case at the moment. Probably not the best time for Madird to be banging on about doping.

15. Too much is made of Turkey's political problems, most of them are nowhere near Istanbul, and I didn't feel unsafe when I was there.

16. Maybe.

17. Rogge encourages everyone to bid. Don't read to much into his encouragements.

18. Not sure about this.

19. Again, are these foreign policy issues really going to make a lot of difference. Still not convinced.

20. Yes and no. Madrid can host the Games, but the crisis means the Games will be smaller than those in Tokyo or Istanbul and there is still a perception problem to overcome which the IOC will be aware of. They won't want to be accused of exacerbating Spain's economic troubles or of being irresponsible.

• Like 1

Bullshits, i dont like when some say bad things of others for become good other... I want Madrid 2020 , but post like this can hurt sensibilities... Tokyo earthquakes... Please what a bullshit... This can happen everywhere, and those things about Turkiye...

Well, i hope my own compatriots make forum lobby in good way and dont show what minor people say in bad way.

Everything with peace and relaxing, this is my opinion.

I' ve said.

Exactly... Relax please it is only an article from a newspapper analaizing how is now the situation. All this reasons can have weight or not in the election

Today i could read a news which explains the real geo-political situation in the 2020 election. It is in Spanish but i have tried to traslate the main ideas.

http://www.marca.com/2013/03/23/mas_deportes/otros_deportes/1364046265.html?a=PR8b1eddc2f85e71a9d2cf291cb7dd93d22&t=1364047845

1. Madrid 2020 is better than the last two bids before: compact and using emblematics venues.

2. Spanish Government runs with the account if there is deficit. And it has signed the guarantees of which it will be he who supports.

3. Clear answers to the evaluation comission. There werent any question without an answer.

4. The COI belongs partial to a new model. Pekín (40.000 million Euros), London (19.000), Rio (14.000), Sochi (50.000), Vancouver (9.200)... The Games walk towards an intolerable escalation of expenses, which reduces his universality because only a few countries can choose them. The trend wants to be invested. The budget of Madrid 2020 would be of 4.100.

5. Spain has 3 members IOC. The are doing a strong lobbie in the heart of the IOC.

6. Tokyo and the fear of the earthquakes.

7. Asia has hosted 4 Olympics events in 10 years: Beijing 2008, Singapur 2010, Nanjing 2014 and Pyongyang 2018. To much events in a few years.

8. Spanish successful of the athlets: Nadal, football, basketball national team, handball national team, Pau Gasol, Mireia Belmonte, Fernando Alonso...

9. The cases of abuse in Judo from Japan.

10. People from the sport are responsable of Madrid 2020, and this question likes IOC.

11. The delay of Sochi and Rio, in favour of Madrid. The evident delays that take the cities of Rio and, especially, Sochi with a view to the Olympic and Paralympic Games of 2016 and 2014 they play in favour of Madrid. The IOC cannot allow any more risks in cities as Istanbul, which still has great for constructing.

12. Istanbul, far from the Olympian dimension. Istanbul, a city of any more than 11 million inhabitants, chaotic enough, does not look like the best possible scene to organize a few Olympic Games. The traffic between headquarters can be dense. In Madrid, one of the observers timed the distance of the Magic Box Tennis (the most distant installation) to the hotel in 13 minutes, one before what it was putting in the Bid book.

13. Qatar wants the games and Istanbul is problem for their objective.

14. Turkey doesnt have WADA lab. Ankara lost it after the scandal of basket player Diana Taurasi. Spain has two: Madrid and Barcelone, and Japan one in Tokyo.

15. The problem with Syria, Kurdistan and Armenia.

16. 13 members from Royal families. Spanish Royal Family has an excellent relations with most of them.

17. Alejandro Blanco chief of Madrid 2020 has a close relation with Jacques Rogge. And Jacques Rogge want the games in Madrid. He called two years ago the mayor of Madrid to involve him in the third olympic project for Madrid.

18. Jacques Roge is moving to the latin block.

19. Senkaku Islands. China, South Korea and Taipei want the islands an Japan took it last year without any agreement with this 3 countries which have strong lobbies inside the IOC.

20. The crisis is not had in account in the COI The last point is the most important. The COI has stressed already two times that the Spanish crisis is not a problem to give the Games to Madrid. It is more, gives the sensation that to be able to save an entire generation, ballasted for few opportunities and the unemployment, it can end up by being the great Olympian legacy.

That /\/\ really doesn't help Madrid's cause. A lot of it is garbage or just plain illogic...that it would turn off the average thinking person's proclivity for a Madrid win.

Hi, I'm a supporter for Madrid 2020, but this newspaper's article is really annoying... earthquake in Tokyo ?? o c'mon, Madrid has a lot of better thing than smiling on top -the hope- of earthquake in Tokyo will be Tokyo's minus point...

That /\/\ really doesn't help Madrid's cause. A lot of it is garbage or just plain illogic...that it would turn off the average thinking person's proclivity for a Madrid win.

I respect al the point of views... You can like or not but there some points that i am agree and in some of them not.

Whatever the final decission is not yours neither mine ;)

Hi, I'm a supporter for Madrid 2020, but this newspaper's article is really annoying... earthquake in Tokyo ?? o c'mon, Madrid has a lot of better thing than smiling on top -the hope- of earthquake in Tokyo will be Tokyo's minus point...

Totally agree with you in this point! ;)

"12. Istanbul, far from the Olympian dimension. Istanbul, a city of any more than 11 million inhabitants, chaotic enough, does not look like the best possible scene to organize a few Olympic Games. The traffic between headquarters can be dense. In Madrid, one of the observers timed the distance of the Magic Box Tennis (the most distant installation) to the hotel in 13 minutes, one before what it was putting in the Bid book. "

Again, this aspect is lost on the IOC. They don't think too much of it as long as the bid is not all over the place. They still chose Rio 2016, even though their bid relied mainly on a spread-out, 4-cluster concept that lagged behind the others. And again, this concept isn't unique to Madrid. Tokyo is offering an even more compact plan. So there goes that idea.

^^ I think though that Rio was able to overcome their technical deficiency with the strength of their message - other cities might not be given so much slack. I completely agree that the importance of a "compact bid" is oversold, but I don't think it doesn't matter either. Is Istanbul's message strong enough to overcome not only a compact bid from Madrid but also a compact bid from a mega-city like Tokyo in the same way Rio's was able to? I'm not sure. And equally, is Madrid's compact bid strong enough to overcome Istanbul's strong message and Tokyo's pull as a mega-city? Again, not sure on that either. It's all very much in the balance as far as I can see. But Tokyo seems to have the best of both worlds, and without an absolutely compelling bid like Rio up against them I think that makes them very dangerous.

I will say this though, Madrid is looking stronger now than many of us thought they would be this time a year ago. It might be too early to call this a genuine three-horse race again, but it doesn't feel like there's one bid lagging miles behind anymore either.

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

Well, yeah. That's precisely what I'm trying to get at. Rio had other strengths to rely on. Other strengths that Madrid doesn't have. And I also agree whether it remains to be seen if Istanbul is going to have the same kind of pull that Rio did. Which is why I give the big edge to Tokyo is this race. Since they too, have a solid, compact 'fiscally responsible' package (even though it's still a bit more costly than Madrid's) but without the baggage of severly struggling economy at the moment. Not to mention, out of the two countries, Spain has hosted the Summer Games the most recent.

Rogge also campaigned to get Tokyo to bid again. In fact, he pushed Tokyo much harder than Madrid. It's part of his job as president to make sure someone bids. I don't think there's any way to know where his preferences lie.

Rogge also campaigned to get Tokyo to bid again. In fact, he pushed Tokyo much harder than Madrid. It's part of his job as president to make sure someone bids. I don't think there's any way to know where his preferences lie.

Completely true. Because of my job I organize events (of course not in the scale of the olympics :D ) and sometimes I need a city to host a certain type of event. So the more "candidates" involved, the better for me in order to choose. I really dont like the idea of having two or three options that I dont really like... So I understand that if Rogge campained for Madrid and Tokyo was just to get them on board.

Rio was not the best techinal bid, but they printed the feeling right in the moment and we all now what happened, almost all of the votes of Chicago a Tokyo ended for them. But the things you have pointed out are pretty reasonable ;), however it is very hard to review them one per one.