Berne almost hosted 2010?

markun

Gromit said in another thread that Berne almost stepped in when there were snow issues for 2010.

I hadn't heard about this, does anyone have more information?

Almost stepped in for what? I see the post by Gromit you're referring to, but I have no idea what he's talking about. Gromit?.. care to enlighten us from where you said "Berne almost stepped in when there were snow issues for 2010."?

The snow issues in Vancouver were nothing compared to Calgary, Sarajevo and Nagano. Calgary was much, much worse and Sarajevo and Nagano had too much snow that caused a far few cancellations.

And the snow problems at Cypress were not evident until within 3 months of the games, so at that point there was so alternative, no almost anywhere.

And I cannot even recall any event cancellations, I know there was so practice ones and Cat B tickets to a few events nullified.

Almost stepped in for what? I see the post by Gromit you're referring to, but I have no idea what he's talking about. Gromit?.. care to enlighten us from where you said "Berne almost stepped in when there were snow issues for 2010."?

Hosting the Olympics it seemed. It was suggesting that if the IOC got a set of rubbish bids for 2022 perhaps the Swiss could be persuaded to put something together giving this as an example.

Hosting the Olympics it seemed. It was suggesting that if the IOC got a set of rubbish bids for 2022 perhaps the Swiss could be persuaded to put something together giving this as an example.

That's what I thought he meant, although I'll wait for him to answer for that because that's beyond absurd. Berne failed to make the shortlist for 2010. So how exactly were they going to step in for Vancouver because of some supposed snow issues? I would love for gromit to give us some background on that one.

Absolutely no city in the world is capable of becoming an Olympic host on such short notice. Olympic Games (also the Olympic Winter Games) put the host cities under heavy demands, financially as well as infrastructurally. You need security, you need well-prepared transports, you need hotel rooms for visitors and the IOC family, not to mention accomodation for thousands of athletes and coaches. I highly doubt that Salt Lake City still has enough apartments or even dorm rooms for 2400+ athletes alone. Three years of preparation might be manageable for a city like Salt Lake City. But not three months.

And a city that has never hosted Olympic Games before (like Berne) will never be an alternate host, never. I think Gromit must have severely confused something.

Mine was just a further point, not saying it could have been done by SLC.

Within a year there is no going back. From the 2 year mark to the 1 year you could realistically have a regional games based in Bavaria or the Oslo/Lillehammer area and pretty much set it up as a bunch of seperate World Cups.

There was no way the entire 2010 Games were going to be relocated because of the snow problems at one venue. Whistler had lots of snow that year. Cypress didn't (well, they did in March, but that was too late). If the conditions got so horrible that Cypress had to be shut down completely, I'm sure they would have found an alternate venue for those events, but not a complete alternate host. Heck, I'm sure they could have even moved it up to Whistler, although probably without seating. The village was very busy during the Games, but the two mountains there were not so busy and they are HUGE and they were covered with snow.

Let's assume that Vancouver 3, 2 or even 1 year out suffered a devastating natural disaster like an earthquake.

So then what would have happened? I'm certain Calgary would have stepped in and offered a helping hand.

The Calgary team would have taken on board everything achieved at that point: logo, mascots, medals, torch etc, with a few minor alterations to include "Vancouver to Calgary 2010" or something like that.

Mass homages, commemorations etc would have been done for the would be hosts. Calgary would have probably been the only way to go.

There are a lot of 'ifs' and 'buts' in this discussion.

If a last minute Winter Olympic host were needed, Salt Lake, Calgary, Innsbruck, Torino, or a spread-out Games across Norway/Scandinavia, Switzerland, or the French Alps could probably be arranged. But only with enough time. I think a major disaster a few months ahead of the Games would likely mean cancellation.

Torino can't. No sliding venue near Torino and some of the venues don't have the ice equipment.

If any, Torino could use the sliding venue in La Plagne (Albertville 1992) which is about 220 km away from Torino. For an "emergency hosting", it might be okay to use venues in two countries. But I think that Salt Lake and Vancouver would probably be the first choices as alternate hosts. Sochi might be one after 2014 as well.

If the IOC was in need of a replacement host. The obvious answer is Oslo-Lillehammer. You have two ski jumps/ceremony venues, 5 indoor halls that can be used for hockey, speed skating, you have cross country, downhill and freestyle courses and areas that are regularly used for world cups and world championships and a decent transportation infrastructure between them.

If the IOC was in need of a replacement host. The obvious answer is Oslo-Lillehammer. You have two ski jumps/ceremony venues, 5 indoor halls that can be used for hockey, speed skating, you have cross country, downhill and freestyle courses and areas that are regularly used for world cups and world championships and a decent transportation infrastructure between them.

Plus a spectator mass that needs very little work in getting them mobilised and behind the event.

Archived