Auckland 1990 Promo Video

Was buzzing around the NZ Onscreen archive website and came across this clip I'd never seen before, a promo vid made by TVNZ for the 1990 Auckland Commonwealth Games. Now this is very late 80s and has a fair bit of cheese, but it's a nice wee bit of nostalgia.

Not sure if internationals will be able to see stuff from this website though, still, here it is.

The website also has a black gold section with a number of archival vids from various features revolving around the Olympics/Paralympics etc - including two very good docos made about the Barcelona and Sydney Paralympics by the late Paul Holmes.

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/1990-commonwealth-games-promo-join-together

• Like 2

Was buzzing around the NZ Onscreen archive website and came across this clip I'd never seen before, a promo vid made by TVNZ for the 1990 Auckland Commonwealth Games. Now this is very late 80s and has a fair bit of cheese, but it's a nice wee bit of nostalgia.

Not sure if internationals will be able to see stuff from this website though, still, here it is.

The website also has a black gold section with a number of archival vids from various features revolving around the Olympics/Paralympics etc - including two very good docos made about the Barcelona and Sydney Paralympics by the late Paul Holmes.

The paralympic documentaries by paul holmes are fantastic.

Thanks for finding this other video matty! A real score

Even though it is abit dated and at times sounds like it's going to turn into a Speights ad, must say, it's actually quite impressive and very different from the usual ribbons and smiles style of ad spot for an Olympic Games- and of course, Auckland had those too.

Also note the various faces who you might recognise, such as a young Joel tobeck (who would go on to be in lord of the rings) and of course Bruno Lawrence.

Here's the direct link to the black gold collection, which also includes the film of Christchurch 74.

http://www.nzonscreen.com/collection/black-gold

The clip was also directed by Lee Tamahori of Once were Warriors fame.

• Like 1

Not to worry, Mattygs, I here in the US saw that promo. I too recognized Bruno Lawrence in this. Realized it was directed by Lee Tamahori ("Once Were Warriors").

Thanks for bringing this up! NZ On Screen is very much like the NZ You Tube. As I write this, I'm also watching Peter Snell's This Is Your Life and just got done with watching MC OJ and Rhythmslave's 1991 video "Money Troubles"! :)

Might as well bring up the Peter Snell, This Is Your Life episode: http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/this-is-your-life-peter-snell-2000

<_< Peter Snell is such a snivilling whinger nowadays...criticises everything about NZ (he's pretty much an American now) age has just wearied him.

On the same kind of topic, the 1990 Auckland Games were inevitably linked with the New Zealand Sesqui-centennial Celebrations (the NZ1990 Kotuku logo was often seen as much as the Com Games Hungry Ensign.

Here are a few tv spots for New Zealand 1990. The second of which featuring Dame Whina Cooper, whose speech was a pivot of the culmination of the opening ceremony cultural presentation.

On the same kind of topic, the 1990 Auckland Games were inevitably linked with the New Zealand Sesqui-centennial Celebrations (the NZ1990 Kotuku logo was often seen as much as the Com Games Hungry Ensign.

Here are a few tv spots for New Zealand 1990. The second of which featuring Dame Whina Cooper, whose speech was a pivot of the culmination of the opening ceremony cultural presentation.

:( Gee the NZ 1990 celebrations crashed and burned like somthing else huh?...all over by April when the Wellington Expo failed - Typical Fourth Labour Government cock-up!!! I alway thought the Kotuku flag was far too Japanese for my likeing, especially since at the time the Japs were buying up large chunks of land thanks once again to our worthless Fourth Labour Gvnt freinds.... :angry: (gosh I sound bitter don't I?)

A tad. hahaha.

I remember going to the NZ1990 expo roadshow (Im guessing that's what it was) here at the Mt in 1990 - I guess I would have been 7 at the time. Can't remember too much about it , apart from a catchy theme song that was used alot.

My rather geeky memories of 1990 included trying to re-create the opening ceremony *volcano* moment with my swingball set and a blanket. hahaha. And everyone in swimming sports that year getting a cardboard medal based on the pohutukawa Com Games medal.

Have to somewhat agree about Snell. I will still stand and say he is one of the greatest sportsmen from our sports history, but the American twang accent and his media snobbery just doesn't sit well with me.

• Like 1

A tad. hahaha.

I remember going to the NZ1990 expo roadshow (Im guessing that's what it was) here at the Mt in 1990 - I guess I would have been 7 at the time. Can't remember too much about it , apart from a catchy theme song that was used alot.

My rather geeky memories of 1990 included trying to re-create the opening ceremony *volcano* moment with my swingball set and a blanket. hahaha. And everyone in swimming sports that year getting a cardboard medal based on the pohutukawa Com Games medal.

Have to somewhat agree about Snell. I will still stand and say he is one of the greatest sportsmen from our sports history, but the American twang accent and his media snobbery just doesn't sit well with me.

Completely agree with you regarding Snell!

• 2 weeks later...

There's even more of the 1990 CWGs going up on YouTube, including that rather awkward toetem pole ceremony that just looked awfull...and the magical "Now Is The Hour" sung by Kiri Te Kanawa as the Queen left the stadium.