USOC Invites America's Cities To Express Their Interest in 2024 Olympic Games (Full Text of Letter)

GBModerator

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ain't no olympics coming to the usa for the next 30-40 years!one, the usa has hosted too many time!two, because of george w. bush our relationships with the rest of the world very are poor and tacky!the usa relies on good relationships with the rest of the world to get them ioc votes!third, the ioc has never gotten over the 2002 salt lake city scandal in which mitt romney set up!if cities like new york and chicago can't get no bid no usa city except san francisco will never get a bid !speaking of my chicago.how can chicago host and olympics and my city can't pay their teachers and public employees!chicago has pulled out of 2024 bid race knowing with these teen murders going on that no world event will never come to my city!the people in chicago like the whites and half of latinos in my city are too stubborn to support and host an olympics, instead chicago especially the black people would rather kill, drink beer, and smoke refers! i'm black and calling the chicago blacks ignorant!i should have backed the bid for rio instead of my chicago knowing now that my city doesn't care about you.in chicago it's all about you help me and i help you.that spells corruption.chicago's job hiring pratices are based on who you know like relatives and friends!

Wow (both on the content and the complete lack of formatting). And no. I'd bet the farm we'll see an Olympics in the United States within the next 30 years. Yes, the United States has hosted a lot, but I think they've earned that respect. As long as the United States continues to contribute a disproportional amount of money and resources to the Olympic movement, then they'll continue to host a disproportionate number of Olympics. They'll land something in the 20s or 30s. International relations can be repaired, so it's not like it'll be 20+ years that continues to hold the U.S. back.

Of all the cities invited, I think the following all have varying degrees of appeal to compete internationally:

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Washington D.C.

Miami

Atlanta

Chicago

Boston

Detroit

St. Louis

Las Vegas

New York

Philadelphia

Dallas

Houston

Seattle

Overall - I'd like to see Chicago step up again.

I have a high interest in Philadelphia and NYC also.

no way my chicago!atlanta has already hosted!i say san fran or maybe nyc!how can my city of chicago host on olympics and this city cannot pay its teachers?look at the teen killings going on in my city!anyway no u.s. city will host an olympics for the next 30 years because the usa relations with the other nations are very poor!the people in chicago are too stubborn and ignorant!

Forget about Dallas, it's all about Austin!!

I just love how the anchor talks as if this is a realistic thing for their city. "An Olympics in Austin, well the USOC might want it so" Best line!

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/Copy_of_austin-considered-for-2024-olympics

too hot in dallas and too oil producing!

Of all the cities invited, I think the following all have varying degrees of appeal to compete internationally:

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Washington D.C.

Miami

Atlanta

Chicago

Boston

Detroit

St. Louis

Las Vegas

New York

Philadelphia

Dallas

Houston

Seattle

Overall - I'd like to see Chicago step up again.

I have a high interest in Philadelphia and NYC also.

thanks for thing about my chicago but our sad as mayor said no that chicago will not be bidding!i don't want them to bid again!i backed 2016 but learned that chicago is not fit to host no world event!

no way my chicago!atlanta has already hosted!i say san fran or maybe nyc!how can my city of chicago host on olympics and this city cannot pay its teachers?look at the teen killings going on in my city!anyway no u.s. city will host an olympics for the next 30 years because the usa relations with the other nations are very poor!the people in chicago are too stubborn and ignorant!

too hot in dallas and too oil producing!

thanks for thinking about my chicago but our sad as mayor said no that chicago will not be bidding!i don't want them to bid again!i backed 2016 but learned that chicago is not fit to host no world event!

Well, I don't know why anyone would bother campaigning against a city that has already said it won't be bidding, but I whole-heartedly disagree with the above post.

In my opinion, Chicago is the best American host city for Summer Games and would be certain to stage spectacular Games. Not that it matters in the wake of the recent announcement.

I would definitely like to see New York bid again. It's the most iconic city in the US and will always be the most obvious choice to be the next US Olympic host.

For me, the realistic possibilities are:

1. New York

2. San Francisco

3. Los Angeles

4. Chicago

5. Boston or Philadelphia

IMO nothing else mentioned has either the history or the right profile to attract the IOC membership (we are unlikely to see another Atlanta type surprise).

Other cities that could be included in the mix are Washington DC, Miami & maybe Dallas & Houston, that would round up the top-10.

The last two, while they would struggle with an image issue on the international stage, still are technically capable of pulling of the Games.

If you take a look at the precinct around the RFK Stadium, there seems to be a substantial amount of vacant land for at least several venues.

I wonder if the National Guard HQ next door could be persuaded to move - that building they're in could be converted into an amazing indoor venue.

a rendering of the 2012 plan... perhaps Washington DC really could be the answer? Sure, some events could be staged in Baltimore, but I think in that instance the wise thing would be for Baltimore to be the "Whistler" to DC's "Vancouver", and silently host under the banner of Washington.

full.jpg

Since Chicago is out, the remaining cities don't look too promising unless NYC throws itself in the ring. I don't think L.A. can sell itself to the international community to get its 3rd Olympics. What about Miami? There's always been something about Miami that's always interested me and it's tropical climate. Of course they're would be obstacles to a Miami Olympics but has there been any word out of that city in pursuing a bid?

If Washington were to bid, I'd scrap Baltimore in venue hosting other than a Football Preliminaries venue (M&T Bank Stadium) and the site for Sailing.

There would be 3 Clusters:

RFK Stadium site:

Olympic Stadium - Athletics/Ceremonies

Aquatics Center - Swimming/Diving

DC Armory - Handball

Athlete's Village

Rock Creek:

Rock Creek Park Tennis Center - Tennis

Carter Barron Amphitheater - Weightlifting

Rock Creek Golf Course - Golf

Rock Creek Horse Center- Equestrian Events

Velodrome - Cycling, Track

BMX Track - Cycling, BMX

Mountain Bike Course - Cycling, Mountain Bike

National Sports Complex - Badminton/Rythmic Gymnastics, Table Tennis/Taekwondo, Judo, Boxing, Fencing

College Park:

Boyd Stadium - Rugby 7's

Comcast Center - Volleyball

Field Hockey Complex - Field Hockey (new competition fields to support existing field)

Aquatics Center - Waterpolo/Synchronized Swimming/Modern Pentathlon Swimming (The whole Modern Pentathlon even will be held at College Park, with a mix of permanent and temporary venues)

Archery Venue - Archery

Venues elsewhere include:

Verizon Center - Basketball/Gymnastics

Fairfax Rod and Gun Club - Shooting

Walter E. Washington Convention Center - Main Media Center

Rowing/Canoeing Venue - Rowing/Canoe

Slalom Venue - Canoe/Kayak Slalom

Beach Volleyball Venue - Beach Volleyball

Basketball Preliminaries Venue - Basketball Preliminaries

Football Preliminaries will be held in:

Baltimore - M&T Bank Stadium

New York/New Jersey - New Meadowlands Stadium

Philadelphia - Lincoln Financial Field

Boston/Foxboro - Gillette Stadium

Chicago - Soldier Field

Atlanta - Georgia Dome/New Stadium (a nod to the last American Summer Olympics host)

Football Finals in Landover's FedExField

Archived