USOC reaching out to US cities for potential 2024 bid

Pure facts

but it does mean that the 2026 offerings weren't so strong and the 2024 offerings weren't so weak to convince them to bypass a 2024 bid as so many on these boards argued they should.

Not really. Ever thought that 2026 would be a Plan B if a more difficult Plan A-2024 won't work...which I think won't? Let's wait until Durban & SO. Africa speak out and see how the USOC reacts then, even with a possible Boston or Dallas in hand.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course it doesn't say the USOC will bid for 2024. They intentionally left it very open. But this is not just a matter of chronology. If all talk of 2024 is totally pointless, why did the USOC bother with the letter? If the 2026 options were so obviously superior to the 2024 options, then why didn't the USOC bypass 2024 completely? The USOC is under no obligation to put on a show. They didn't have to send out this letter.

The USOC convened a committee to evaluate whether the US should pursue 2024 or 2026. Clearly the USOC sees something worth exploring for 2024. That's not a guarantee of a bid, but it does mean that the 2026 offerings weren't so strong and the 2024 offerings weren't so weak to convince them to bypass a 2024 bid as so many on these boards argued they should.

The only thing that is clear from the committee's findings is that they're still unsure with how to proceed. 2024 vs. 2026 is not an either/or proposition. We thought it might be, but the USOC's tone makes it very clear they haven't committed to 1 or the other. So they're still feeling out their potential host options. Which means they deal with 2024 first and then look into 2026 later (especially since those options are a little more clear, as opposed to 2024 where they send out a blanket letter to 35 cities, probably at least half of which couldn't meet the basic requirements if they wanted to).

No one here was saying that 2024 was a completely hopeless proposition, only that it was questionable how much interest was out there. So this is exactly what the USOC should be doing. If they're still unsure what their prospects are (which I think they are), then make an overture to these cities and see who responds. I won't speak for others here, but I think that's pretty much what we were expecting. If the USOC didn't want to bid for 2024 or planned to bypass bidding, they would have come out and said so. Either way, it IS a matter of chronology. They didn't say they were definitely bidding for 2024 or for 2026. They didn't say they definitely weren't biding for 2024 or for 2026. That they didn't have enough information to make that decision, logic then dictates you take a closer look at 2024 first and see what turns up.

Not really. Ever thought that 2026 would be a Plan B if a more difficult Plan A-2024 won't work...which I think won't? Let's wait until Durban & SO. Africa speak out and see how the USOC reacts then, even with a possible Boston or Dallas in hand.

Of course that's possible, but it doesn't contradict anything I wrote. If the USOC LOVED the 2026 candidates and saw nothing but slim-pickings for 2024, they would not have sent the letter. Plain and simple.

Detroit?!!

Medals from athletes would be missing from the village hours after they won them only to show up at a pawn shop hours later. Stop watches would be stolen and sold to the tourists for drug money.

I live near Pittsburgh and the news around here is making a joke of the games even being in our city. We can't even afford public transportation right now as it stands.

Of course that's possible, but it doesn't contradict anything I wrote. If the USOC LOVED the 2026 candidates and saw nothing but slim-pickings for 2024, they would not have sent the letter. Plain and simple.

baron, it's fruitless to argue with him. Unless you can prove him wrong, he must be right! Even though I disagree with this statement.. if the USOC loved the 2026 candidates and saw slim pickings for 2024.. then they'd still send out the letter to see if maybe their initial assessment was wrong. No harm in seeing what's out there and maybe they find something they didn't know was there. And then 2 years from now, they can still address their 2026 candidates with plenty of time to ready 1 of them to bid.

Well, SF's probably not going to go the mile. America's Cup 2013 is short some $15 million a few months out. So unless Larry Ellison comes forward & fills the gap, no SF Olympics will happen. Now, if he closes the AC deficit and then pledges another $10 million for seed money + some social program to benefit SF's homeless, etc. regardless of what happens to a SF bid, then that might get the ball rolling. But unless it changes, I see it as a dead duck. :(

Las Vegas beat out Panama City, Tehran, New Delhi and Sochi to get the 2015 wrestling worlds.

Well, Vegas has the hotel rooms to a sport which has/will soon be kicked out of the Olympics. So I don't think that's too much of a crowning achievement. Plus, it is an indoor sport, so obviously, an A/C venue will make the event acceptable.

I would honestly love to see a Las Vegas Olympics. It would be horribly enternaining.

AP: July 17/2024

A Chinese driver was seen losing $10,000 at baccarat hours after losing in the 3m springboard. Asked for comment, she respond iyaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!.

USA has the best potential host city in the world, it's impressive... The majority of these cities could win SoG.

My favorites are Boston, Dallas, Austin, Chicago, Minneapolis, Seatle, San Diego, San Francisco.

Denver and Portland it's for WoG ?

Sign, yet another old-timer who can't fathom something unusual happening again.

Sigh, you again & your constant trying of wanting to rewrite how the IOC choses to do things. It not me that can't fathom 'something unusual happening again', it's the fastidious "old-timers" over at the IOC that are.

Even the far majority of the international members here say that "the U.S. has to bid with mega city". You're in the minute of minorities who can't "fathom" how the bigger picture works & always wants to rant how the IOC "could do better". So please save your patronizing ways for somebody else.

Can you really see Atlanta getting the winning bid over cities like Paris, Durban, and Tokyo? Even if their bid is great, I don't think the IOC would go there.

Exactly what I believe

2nd and 3rd rate American cities aren't going to cut it for 2024.

The only big mega city that will probably bid is Los Angeles really. Chicago is out and it seems like NYC doesn't give a ****.

And even with Los Angeles there are a lot of question marks. Will the IOC go back to L.A. for a 3rd Olympics? I find it a really hard sell. Actually an extremely hard sell. It's unfortunate that Chicago does not want the Olympics anymore. They would have been ideal.

Exactly what I believe

2nd and 3rd rate American cities aren't going to cut it for 2024.

The only big mega city that will probably bid is Los Angeles really. Chicago is out and it seems like NYC doesn't give a ****.

And even with Los Angeles there are a lot of question marks. Will the IOC go back to L.A. for a 3rd Olympics? I find it a really hard sell. Actually an extremely hard sell. It's unfortunate that Chicago does not want the Olympics anymore. They would have been ideal.

That's the problem with LA. Their bid would be almost identical to the 1984 bid if they don't change anything from the 2016 bid. If the IOC were to go back to the US they would want something new, like NYC, Chicago, or SanFran.

That's the problem with LA. Their bid would be almost identical to the 1984 bid if they don't change anything from the 2016 bid. If the IOC were to go back to the US they would want something new, like NYC, Chicago, or SanFran.

Even if there is something new. A 3rd Olympics of Los Angeles?

It's beyond me what the USOC are going to do. If at the end they have Dallas, Tulsa, Minneapolis and Philadelphia wanting to be the US candidate city, will they just forget about 2024 completely? It's like they want to bid for 2024 but I feel like they won't have the right city to bid with and will opt out for 2026 instead.

It would be far from identical. LA has built numerous sports venues since 1984 and might have another bid one coming with Farmers Field. But yes, the key question is how to differentiate the 2024 experience from the 1984 edition. That could be tough.

There's no way that another LA bid would duplicate '84. The Staples Center, Home Depot Center and Honda Center alone guarantee that. Instead of Lake Casitas, it will be Long Beach or elsewhere. There will be a new aquatics center somewhere. It would be very different. Even the vibe of LA is different now.

I agree that it's a challenge to make LA seem fresh, but I don't think it's totally impossible. Also, lets bear in mind that LA '84 was one of the most successful Games ever -- arguably the essential renaissance of the modern Games. There certainly are worse legacies. If I were LA I wouldn't divorce myself too much from 84.

There's no way that another LA bid would duplicate '84. The Staples Center, Home Depot Center and Honda Center alone guarantee that. Instead of Lake Casitas, it will be Long Beach or elsewhere. There will be a new aquatics center somewhere. It would be very different. Even the vibe of LA is different now.

I agree that it's a challenge to make LA seem fresh, but I don't think it's totally impossible. Also, lets bear in mind that LA '84 was one of the most successful Games ever -- arguably the essential renaissance of the modern Games. There certainly are worse legacies. If I were LA I wouldn't divorce myself too much from 84.

Don't forget the Galen Center on USC's campus (not to mention that the L.A. Sports Arena is still standing and a perfectly viable Olympic venue once again).

Part of the issue for me is if they use the Coliseum. Obviously it would be refurbished, but it still seems like a been there done that proposition. As we've been saying here.. Los Angeles is an ideal spot for the Olympics, but they'd need some sort of X factor to really make it attractive. I know you've brought up transportation improvements a few times, but I think they'd need something more than that. Good vibes from 1984 both help them and hurt them, but I do get the sense at some point we'll hear from them, hopefully with some interest for 2024.

LA it's a great city to host SoG but 3 times, it will be boring... USA has the choice, there are lot of cities to have the potential to host SoG (Chicago, Boston, SF, Dallas etc.).

European countries don't have this choice... You have 1 or sometimes 2 cities able to host SoG, in USA you have maybe 10 or 15 cities ready.

If USA don't want spend too much money, indeed LA it's the best choice.

Archived