USOC reaching out to US cities for potential 2024 bid

Pure facts

Here is the list of cities that USOC sent a letter to today.

Phoenix

Arizona

Los Angeles

California

Sacramento

California

San Diego

California

San Francisco

California

San Jose

California

Denver

Colorado

Washington

D.C.

Jacksonville

Florida

Miami

Florida

Orlando

Florida

Atlanta

Georgia

Chicago

Illinois

Indianapolis

Indiana

Baltimore

Maryland

Boston

Massachusetts

Detroit

Michigan

Minneapolis

Minnesota

St. Louis

Missouri

Las Vegas

Nevada

New York

New York

Rochester

New York

Charlotte

North Carolina

Columbus

Ohio

Tulsa

Oklahoma

Portland

Oregon

Philadelphia

Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh

Pennsylvania

Memphis

Tennessee

Nashville & Davidson County

Tennessee

Austin

Texas

Dallas

Texas

Houston

Texas

San Antonio

Texas

Seattle

Washington

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from AP

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - The U.S. Olympic Committee is looking for cities interested in bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics.

The USOC says it is sending letters Tuesday to the mayors of 35 cities to gauge interest in a potential Olympic bid.

The USOC says the letter "does not guarantee" the committee will submit a bid but is an "initial step" in evaluating the possibility. The letter went to the country's 25 largest cities, plus 10 others.

The USOC says it has 2 1/2 years to decide and will only enter a bid that has the "right alignment of political, business and community leadership."

Chicago failed in a bid for the 2016 Olympics and New York fell short for the 2020 Games.

Cities:

• 45,000 hotel rooms.
• An Olympic Village that sleeps 16,500 and has a 5,000-person dining hall.
• Operations space for over 15,000 media and broadcasters.
• An international airport that can handle thousands of international travelers per day.
• Public transportation service to venues.
• Roadway closures to allow exclusive use for Games-related transportation.
• A workforce of up to 200,000.

A few thoughts here..

Somewhat odd list of cities where San Jose and Sacramento are included (not to mention the T-word, but I think we all saw that coming). Of course, that they laid out the requirements and mentioned some of the numbers, no doubt that's going to scare almost everyone off. Because I can't see too many cities on that list that have 45,000 hotel rooms available. Even the Super Bowl only has 25,000 and some cities have had trouble with that.

Either way though, it's starting to get very real now. I think we're going to find out sooner or later who actually is interested in playing ball with the USOC.

Well, you have to applaud them for trying to minimize the cost of a bid by dispensing with an expensive domestic campaign. Some of those cities are head-scratchers. I suppose they're trying to be inclusive and avoid any uproar later, but realistically, quite a few of those cities are non-starters.

I also think its intriguing that they are no longer discussing 2024 and 2026 jointly. Obviously 2026 is still an option, but the existence of this letter suggests that after reviewing the likely contenders for 2026, the USOC would still prefer to mount a 2024 bid -- assuming a competitive city wants to bid.

San Jose actually makes some sense. It's reasonably big (bigger than San Francisco) and has great facilities. Probably deserves to make the list even if only 10 cities were contacted.

But I'll give you Sacramento... that one's baffling.

But even if it's San Jose, the new 49er Stadium is still in the City of Santa Clara, so...either the IOC has liberalized its rules...or Costa Rica will be hosting 2024 without their knowing it!! :lol:

As of now, realistically viable - 5 or 6

Truly interested and capable - 3

This also shows that there was never really any "secret" behind the scenes workings, like some liked to have thought.

Ugh. I've had you on ignore for months and I stupidly peeked at this post. I won't do it again.

I never argued for "secrecy". I only said that it was entirely possible that private conversations were taking place that were not made available to the media or the public. I stand by that statement and I don't think the existence of this letter disproves it. Do you really think that the USOC has had ZERO communication with ANYONE from any of the cities on that list regarding a possible bid? No way.

Don't say that.. baron might think you're serious and then get really really excited and that would be mean to give him such a false sense of hope.

lol...

No city outright needs a stadium to bid, because that would be dumb if they lost (by building it before the winner is announced).

I also think its intriguing that they are no longer discussing 2024 and 2026 jointly. Obviously 2026 is still an option, but the existence of this letter suggests that after reviewing the likely contenders for 2026, the USOC would still prefer to mount a 2024 bid -- assuming a competitive city wants to bid.

The existence of this letter suggests that 2024 will occur before 2026. But we knew that already. I don't know why you're reading anything into 2026 from this (that's not true, actually.. I think we all know why). The USOC has to address 2024 before they look into 2026. I think it's as simple as that. None of this says anything about the field of contenders for 2026. Not sure why you assume they've reviewed that field of contenders, yet here sent out a blanket letter to 35 cities to gauge their interest. Which is to say.. are you sure you're not just reading this latest revelation as what you want this latest revelation to be? That being a preference of Summer over Winter.

It'll be Interesting, to say the least, how these will take to this 'invitation' over the next few days & weeks.

What I'm interested to see and it goes back to what we've been saying here.. this letter has very quickly become a matter of public record. We heard about it the day it was sent. We know the full text of it. And we know precisely the list of mayors it was sent to. So it begs the question.. how much will we hear about the responses from those cities? Because it's going to be pretty hard to act in private now. If this were a game of poker, the USOC just asked everyone to show their hand. No hiding anymore.. this is where you have to put your cards on the table. So I have a feeling if any cities do show genuine interest, there's a pretty good chance we're going to know about it.

The existence of this letter suggests that 2024 will occur before 2026. But we knew that already. I don't know why you're reading anything into 2026 from this (that's not true, actually.. I think we all know why). The USOC has to address 2024 before they look into 2026. I think it's as simple as that. None of this says anything about the field of contenders for 2026. Not sure why you assume they've reviewed that field of contenders, yet here sent out a blanket letter to 35 cities to gauge their interest. Which is to say.. are you sure you're not just reading this latest revelation as what you want this latest revelation to be? That being a preference of Summer over Winter.

He is. I don't know how anyone can decide 2026 before seeing what 2024 will yield. It doesn't even say the USOC will actually submit a bid for 2024.

He is. I don't know how anyone can decide 2026 before seeing what 2024 will yield. It doesn't even say the USOC will actually submit a bid for 2024.

Of course it doesn't say the USOC will bid for 2024. They intentionally left it very open. But this is not just a matter of chronology. If all talk of 2024 is totally pointless, why did the USOC bother with the letter? If the 2026 options were so obviously superior to the 2024 options, then why didn't the USOC bypass 2024 completely? The USOC is under no obligation to put on a show. They didn't have to send out this letter.

The USOC convened a committee to evaluate whether the US should pursue 2024 or 2026. Clearly the USOC sees something worth exploring for 2024. That's not a guarantee of a bid, but it does mean that the 2026 offerings weren't so strong and the 2024 offerings weren't so weak to convince them to bypass a 2024 bid as so many on these boards argued they should.

Archived