Sign in to follow this  
Kenadian

Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend dead

Besides the tragedy to the people directly involved and the family and friends of Reeva Steenkamp in particular, I wonder how much this case affects the good moment and the popularity of paralympic sport through the world. Pistorius was a powerful and inspiring figure and his career was seen by many as a living example of olympic and sports values.

I don't think it would do the Paralympics any harm at all in the long term - no such thing as bad publicity after all, and I think it says a lot about how far the Paralympics have come that this is a major story all over the world, not just a footnote.

A tragic story for all concerned and it'll be some time until the truth comes out - but guns are designed to kill and anyone who kills someone with one can't claim they did it accidently.

And African Olympics don't depend on Oscar Pistorius - while there are so many other inspiring African (and also South African) athletes.

I don't think Pistorius himself would affect a South African bid but I do think how this has highlighted the crime rate and how people live in fear in the country hasn't done a South African bid any favours at all. In the absense of facts around the case the media are churning out the crime stats, and 18,000 murders a year doesn't do South Africa any favours.

I don't think Pistorius himself would affect a South African bid but I do think how this has highlighted the crime rate and how people live in fear in the country hasn't done a South African bid any favours at all. In the absense of facts around the case the media are churning out the crime stats, and 18,000 murders a year doesn't do South Africa any favours.

Brekkie Boy, obviously this case is a case of domestic violence - and has relatively little to do with the crime rate in South Africa. Oscar Pistorius shot his girlfriend - and not a burglar.

And that South Africa can stage great and even safe big sports events has been proven during the 2010 FIFA World Cup, for example. Or during the Africa Cup of Nations this winter. I'm against mixing the crime rate with the staging of sports events. Also Rio (despite its high crime rate) will probably stage safe and successful World Cup matches and Olympic and Paralympic Games.

:unsure: Agree...This is just a phenominally tragic situation.

Reason I havent commented earlier is I'm totally shocked...This man was a total insperation to the sporting world...

It be like one of our top All Blacks or atheletes doing the same thing in NZ...Nothing to do with the general perception of the crime rate in SA, but an irony that it happened inside on of those fortress communities built to protect the well healed, that now cover the post Apathied landscape.

Absolutely tragic situation - I was quite shocked when I first heard the news. Oscar has been a great inspiration to many athletes out there, and arguably helped put the Paralympic Games on the map in recent years.

For his career and life to devolve into an OJ Simpson-style sensationalized spectacle of allegations and counter-allegations is just a sad ending for the career of one of the more interesting sportsmen of our time. And yes, even if he were acquitted, his career is over and will never go back to pre-Feb 14.

A true loss to the sporting world. That said, I don't think this will actually impact much on the prospects of a South African bid. Durban, Cape Town and Jo'burg look promising in different respects. If I were South African, I'd be more worried about political instability caused by the likes of Julius Malema. That man spells trouble, even if he never enters Union Buildings - social unrest would be the biggest worry of the South African proponents of an Olympic Games. They'll have to take a leaf out of Rio's book and explain how the Games will benefit the dwellers in the impoverished townships. That may (or may not be a tall order): I'm still waiting for a proper assessment of whether London 2012 did benefit Stratford. And I'm a fervent enthusiast of London 2012...

All of the coverage on Oscar will be a side note in South Africa if Mandela dies while Oscar is on trial.

This comment was really unneccessary. And even that wouldn't alter the fact that one of the most famous current South African athletes has killed his girlfriend.

New details about that night in Pretoria: Police has allegedly found a bloodied cricket bat in Pistorius' home. And his girlfriend's head was crushed - apparently not only by the bullets. If that is really true, the whole story gets an even more sickening twist. And then I might support Paul's judgment on Oscar Pistorius: If that is really true, he apparently is a scumbag.

All of the coverage on Oscar will be a side note in South Africa if Mandela dies while Oscar is on trial.

Huh? :blink: What will happen will happen. Then better tell Mr. Mandela to hold off on his future plans so as not to impose on Mr. Pistorius' few years of infamy.

Anyway, Oscar doesn't strike me as a cold, calculating type but Reena said something that hit an exposed nerve and caused her b.f. to go berserk, or he had a brain aneurysm at the same time. Just too bizarre.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/9875621/Oscar-Pistorius-murder-charge-bloodied-cricket-bat-found-at-Paralympic-athletes-home.html Oscar Pistorius murder charge: bloodied cricket bat found at Paralympic athlete's home

Local reports stated police believe he may have used the bat to attack girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp before shooting her dead on St Valentine's Day morning.

A post-mortem examination on the body of the 29-year-old model revealed that as well as bullet wounds to the head, arm, hand and hip, she suffered a fractured skull, it reported.

According to a source cited by City Press, Miss Steenkamp was wearing a nightdress, an overnight bag was found at the house and her iPad was on the bedroom floor.

"It was clear that both of them had slept in the bed," the source added.

Police asked for blood taken from Mr Pistorius to be tested for steroids, City Press claimed, in anticipation that his defence team might claim he acted in "roid rage" – an aggressive condition associated with taking large doses of performance-enhancing drugs.

?

Huh? :blink: What will happen will happen. Then better tell Mr. Mandela to hold off on his future plans so as not to impose on Mr. Pistorius' few years of infamy.

Anyway, Oscar doesn't strike me as a cold, calculating type but Reena said something that hit an exposed nerve and caused her b.f. to go berserk, or he had a brain aneurysm at the same time. Just too bizarre.

I wonder if she had said she wanted to split with him or refused to marry him or something along those lines which caused him to suddenly explode into murderous rage and attack her with anything that came to hand?

I wonder if we will ever know the full truth about what happened between them that night?

Either way, it is a truly tragic and bizarre case. A beautiful young woman is dead and one of the world's most popular and inspirational athletes is facing the complete ruin of his life and career! :(

Police asked for blood taken from Mr Pistorius to be tested for steroids, City Press claimed, in anticipation that his defence team might claim he acted in "roid rage" – an aggressive condition associated with taking large doses of performance-enhancing drugs.

Hell yeah, that would be a wonderful defence strategy by Pistorius' lawyers: "Well, OK, our client committed murder against his girlfriend and he did not only shoot her four times but also crushed her head with a cricket bat - but he only did it because he was fuc.king full of steroids. Oh, why did he have steroids in his house and also consumed them? Well, because he used steroids throughout his entire athletic career."

OK, I can understand that police is taking all precautions. But any defence team which resorted to such claims would have to be called completely bonkers.

By the way, since the question was raised about what caused the murder: According to reports, Pistorius was extremely jealous because his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp appeared together with a singer called Mario Oglu on a South African TV show. A friend of Steenkamp told the South African newspaper "Beeld" that Pistorius was "jealous and arrogant in a manner that was devoid of any logic". I haven't found any English language article about that so far, but several articles from different countries, including this (in German) by "Spiegel Online": http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/justiz/oscar-pistorius-blutiger-cricketschlaeger-soll-mordverdacht-begruenden-a-883881.html

That's only one possible reason, though. And one has to repeat that those are only media reports, nothing is officially confirmed yet. But if only a fraction of all this is true, this puts Pistorius under heavy pressure.

A very good analysis by the New York Times - even if it's already three days old:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/sports/olympics/the-complicated-life-of-paralympic-champion-oscar-pistorius.html?_r=0

Particularly interesting (and true) is this part:

And we are reminded yet again that it becomes risky to equate sporting accomplishment with heroism and incorruptible behavior.

Sport builds characters, sure, but does it really build character? How can we really expect to know these athletes, when they often give us a kind of fan dance — suggesting but not fully revealing.

The Sun (and let's be very careful here) report that large quantities of steroids were found at Pistorius residence. There's the hypothesis of a drug+alcohol induced frenzy attack. I hope this isn't confirmed, or people will suspect he cheated his entire career...

God, this is getting worse and worse the more comes out. Getting harder and harder to fit the 'facts' around anything other than a horrible conclusion.

This is what happens when people put 'sports heroes' on pedestals. ATHLETES are nothing but physical whores. They are simply human and should NOT be worshipped as such. That's why I DON'T like them marching in the Opening ceremonies. It glorifies them too much. And this is what happend (Oscar's case) when they err and become human.

No. Just accept that Olympians are human.

Edited by RobH

No - it may be a crime, but it didn't affect their Olympic (or Paralympic) performance.

The steroids, though, is another matter.

• Like 1

Should athletes be stripped of Olympic medals if they are convicted of murder?

No. As long as the crime is not directly connected to the Olympic Games and/or has brought severe shame to the Olympic Movement, one has little to do with the other.

It'd be different in a hypothetical scenario in which an athlete (who goes on to win a silver medal, for instance) ended up assisting terrorists with a plot to kill spectators or other athletes à la Munich 1972. Then, you could justify stripping away a medal - in my view, anyway.

Should athletes be stripped of Olympic medals if they are convicted of murder?

Paul, stripping of medals is really, merely symbolic. I mean...asking someone to return their medals doesn't really correct whatever the first injustice was. And what if, say, I didn't want to? They aren't going to send a goon squad over to my house and demand the return at gunpoint. (I believe they will fine the NOC for that...but then again, the NOC could argue...why did the IOC give those medals in the first place? TO which I've always said...wait 8 years until all the tests have come back, and then award them.)

I never really bought into the Pistorius story to begin with and felt and still feel that he should not have competed in London. Hopefully the South African police and judiciary can settle this case and bring answers and closure. But, it is just another highlight of the culture of fear.

I never though he should be running in the Olympics, too much high tech hardware seemed questionable.