Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend dead

Kenadian

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One global icon is already more than many other countries in the world have. I mean, people like Nelson Mandela are not born every day.

And we should really scale the whole Oscar Pistorius thing down. Yes, it's a shame that such a sports icon fell from grace. But as I said, South Africa and Paralympism still have other inspiring athletes - and South Africa also still produces role models in sports or other fields.

Hate to get into the tabloid angle, but was Reeva Steenkamp killed by Oscar over Springbok rugby star Francois Hougaard from the Pretoria-based Blue Bulls? It's getting all the murkier. Worth pointing out here that South Africa doesn't have the level of tabloid culture that many Western nations do with all the tittilation. The media there coverage has been really somber and sobering. It'll be really sad that tabloidism will grow there because of this tragedy.

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/sport/from-the-bleachers/did-oscar-pistorius-kill-reeva-steenkamp-over-south-african-rugby-star-francois-hougaard-191859271.html

• 1 month later...
Oscar Pistorius will not compete in the London Anniversary Games

Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius will not take part in this summer's London Anniversary Games.

Pistorius, 26, is on bail after being charged with the murder of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, but can compete before his court caseis heard.

The Games include a day of Paralympic sport, but UK Athletics chairman Ed Warner said Pistorius will not race.

"I don't want to see the Sunday of the Anniversary Games turning into a media circus," Warner told BBC Radio 4.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/22163917

• 1 month later...

New interesting information on the Pistorius case: Sky News has obtained pictures of the crime scene inside Pistorius' house - and they show bullet holes below the door handle in the bathroom door. This seems to prove Pistorius' version that he hadn't his prosthetic legs on when he shot his girlfriend - and that he might have considered her a burglar indeed (because he was in such a rush and felt so endangered that he couldn't put on his prosthetic legs anymore). Furthermore, the article states what an amateurish mistake the now laid-off investigating policeman made:

Other photographs show footprints in blood. The investigating policeman, Warrant Officer Hilton Botha, has already admitted he walked through the scene without wearing protective foot covers, potentially contaminating the evidence.

(WARNING: The pictures in the article also show quite a lot of blood and thus can cause distress.)

http://news.sky.com/story/1097557/pistorius-images-show-bloody-scene-of-killing

Hmmm... If you ask me: The prosecution is in trouble. Could Oscar Pistorius have been honest after all about what happened?

It seems that evidence in favor of Pistorius version is raising, but even if he is truly innocent, the devastating damage against his public image has been already done, and he would still have to face charges because of unintentional homicide. Still very unfortunate for him.

New interesting information on the Pistorius case: Sky News has obtained pictures of the crime scene inside Pistorius' house - and they show bullet holes below the door handle in the bathroom door. This seems to prove Pistorius' version that he hadn't his prosthetic legs on when he shot his girlfriend - and that he might have considered her a burglar indeed (because he was in such a rush and felt so endangered that he couldn't put on his prosthetic legs anymore). Furthermore, the article states what an amateurish mistake the now laid-off investigating policeman made:

(WARNING: The pictures in the article also show quite a lot of blood and thus can cause distress.)

http://news.sky.com/story/1097557/pistorius-images-show-bloody-scene-of-killing

Hmmm... If you ask me: The prosecution is in trouble. Could Oscar Pistorius have been honest after all about what happened?

Yes. That has always been a very real possibility, despite the portrayals offered by the media.

Did the bathroom have a window thru which the potential 'burglar' could've entered? Or did he think that the burglar was taking a leak and that would be the right time to plug him w/ 4??

Don't you ever wake up disoriented in the middle of the night? I do. Of course I don't have a gun within arm's reach....

But why would Oscar not notice that Reeva wasn't in the bed with him? Where did he think she was? And if he did notice, why would he assume it was a burglar in the bathroom and not her?

Why was he so spooked about burglars? Had he been burgled before or had there been a spate of them in the neighbourhood recently?

Plenty of material for the prosecution to keep working on IMO!

Maybe he could've shouted thru the door: Reeva? Reeva? before unleashing his firepower? He had no legs but he still had a mouth...and maybe a brain functioning?? So he was disoriented enough to possibly think it was an intruder behind the door -- yet he was in full possession of his senses to take dead and steady aim around the doorknob area and at torso level?? :blink: Hmmmmm...truly strange.

I believe he said that he noticed only after the shooting that Reeva wasn't there in the bed. Yes, the circumstances are strange - but disoriented people can do strange and incoherent things. I mean, if he really went to that bathroom door on his leg stumps, that is already pretty nuts - if he expected a burglar to be there. A burglar could have knocked him out easily in such a vulnerable position. So it's possible that Pistorius was driven by such panic that he didn't think much about what he did and where his girlfriend was.

And even if the other version - premeditated murder - is true: I think it's very difficult for the prosecution to prove it, not only because there were no direct witnesses of the scene but also due to the mistakes the investigators made. And now those bullet holes that contradict their own version, namely that Pistorius put on his prosthetic legs before he shot Reeva Steenkamp. They are really not in an easy position.

I believe he said that he noticed only after the shooting that Reeva wasn't there in the bed. Yes, the circumstances are strange - but disoriented people can do strange and incoherent things. I mean, if he really went to that bathroom door on his leg stumps, that is already pretty nuts - if he expected a burglar to be there. A burglar could have knocked him out easily in such a vulnerable position. So it's possible that Pistorius was driven by such panic that he didn't think much about what he did and where his girlfriend was.

But you know...he already lives/ed in a gated community. So I really don't understand his "paranoia."

But I believe there have already been burglaries even in those gated communities in South Africa. It's a commonplace, but there simply is no such thing as absolute security. And probably Pistorius had the paranoia to ensure that the lacking 2 or 3 % of security are made up by himself and his gun.

And even if the other version - premeditated murder - is true: I think it's very difficult for the prosecution to prove it, not only because there were no direct witnesses of the scene but also due to the mistakes the investigators made. And now those bullet holes that contradict their own version, namely that Pistorius put on his prosthetic legs before he shot Reeva Steenkamp. They are really not in an easy position.

But why would he have not attempted to wake Reeva first before deciding to tackle a possible burglar? Then he would have noticed she wasn't there before setting off for the bathroom with gun in hand? Plus the fact that, stumps or not, he was carrying a loaded weapon when he went to the bathroom so that would have offered obvious protection against assault from a possible burglar.

I agree that it will be difficult for the prosecution to prove pre-meditated murder but that doesn't mean all possible evidence shouldn't be sought and investigated. At the very least, Pistorius must be guilty of something akin to aggravated manslaughter unless the defence can prove that he was completely irrational and totally out of his mind when the shooting occurred and that would then raise the question of his mental stability and whether he would need to be confined to a mental asylum for his own and other people's protection for an unspecified period of time!

• 1 year later...

Pistorius found not guilty of murdering girlfriend

Pretoria (AFP) - A sobbing Oscar Pistorius was acquitted Thursday of murdering his girlfriend, but the South African celebrity athlete dubbed the "Blade Runner" still faces judgement on a lesser culpable homicide charge.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/world/a/24969690/judge-finds-pistorius-not-guilty-of-premeditated-murder/

...It's all technical, he'll probably get the equivalent of Manslaughter. If you want to have a go at someone, go for the prosecution and the 'hearsay' witnesses that heard sounds. The judge really just doing her job properly. He will go to prison

As for Oscar himself...well his life that he knew is over anyway...

Can you say he "got off"? I mean yes it all looks bad on paper but a lot of these facts have been manipulated by the media. Not once had I heard that "according to the autopsy report or coroners report, it would have been impossible for a woman to scream after the gunshots" which calls a lot of the neighbors testimony into question.

He should without a doubt be charged with culpable homicide because no one shoots 5 bullets at someone through a door and expects them to survive.

However, it is very hard to prove that he had the intention to kill his girlfriend, so I kind of understand why he didn't get jailed for pre-meditated murder

• 1 month later...

And it's anything like Western Europe, will do six months before being freed for good behaviour.

You should do the vast majority of your sentence, especially when someone life has been taken. This is not about Pistorius though, just a general statement.

Archived