Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend dead

Kenadian

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible - and very surprising - news. And the worst about it is that it now sounds as if the shooting wasn't an accident. Police says that they are very surprised about the reports that Pistorius allegedly mistook his girlfriend for an intruder. Apparently they have been called to Pistorius' house before because of "allegations of a domestic nature":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/9869489/Oscar-Pistorius-shoots-girlfriend-dead-live.html

Whether it was done on purpose or whether it was an accident: This is a terrible way of ruining one's own career - especially on the pinnacle of one's fame and success.

The case is very confusing - and I suppose that we won't hear anything new and substantial before tomorrow, when Pistorius appears in court.

One asks oneself how someone (allegedly) can confuse his own girlfriend with a burglar and then shoot her not only once, but four times - including head shots, which implies that Pistorius didn't want to simply injure the alleged burglar but kill her/him. By all accounts, Pistorius apparently is an experienced shooter - someone like him doesn't hit someone in the head by accident, I suppose.

But on the other hand, we really don't know how it all happened precisely. If it just was an accident, it would be highly irresponsible of the police to announce that there were previous occasions where they were called to Pistorius' apartment. That information puts Pistorius under public suspicion. Would the police hand out such delicate information so carelessly - without having a profound reason for doing so?

I guess we'll have to wait.

Haven't the police dismissed the idea he thought she was a burglar? And a murder charge so quickly too. Even without knowing all the facts it's hard to see any good coming out of this for Pistorius. Sounds like he killed her, and sounds like he knew who he was shooting from what we know so far. Of course other explanations are possible and innocent til proven guilty, but doesn't sound good.

Really shocking.

Pistorius, the new O.J. Simpson. Nuff said.

My jaw literally dropped when I read the news. Accident or not, he must pay like the rest of people for the crimes he comitted. It's sad to see another sporting figure falling in disgrace after Armstrong...

Not only disgusting from the view point of the alleged murder of the girlfriend, but even the original notion of *he thought it was an intruder so shot 4 times in the head* really does remind me of how unsettling the defence mentality is in the Republic. Of course we all know that there is the constant threat of this kind of crime there, but it just doesnt sit right with me.

Really, another problem South Africa needs to get its head around, a priority, you might say .

But back to the original issue, I think we are shocked when a favourite sportsman is done for drugs or even domestic abuse, this is quite mindblowing if the allegations are found to be true.

Besides the tragedy to the people directly involved and the family and friends of Reeva Steenkamp in particular, I wonder how much this case affects the good moment and the popularity of paralympic sport through the world. Pistorius was a powerful and inspiring figure and his career was seen by many as a living example of olympic and sports values.

Let's hope there's more to this story and that it's not as bad as it looks.

It's simple. Blade Runner thought she was a Nexus 6 and retired her.

Seriously though, WTF! I watched all his races in London. I was shocked this morning when I read the news. What a fall from grace.

I haven't read or viewed anything on this for a few hours, but I think we all need to just wait for more news and evidence to come to light before assessing the situation.

But as was stated in today's National Post in Canada:

We do not know exactly what happened inside that house because we were not inside it. Pistorius reportedly owns many firearms, and told The New York Times Magazine that he sleeps with a pistol beside his bed. He posted on Twitter on Nov. 27: “Nothing like getting home to hear the washing machine on and thinking its an intruder to go into full combat recon mode into the pantry!”

It is somewhat of a statement about South Africa, too. I was there recently. Thought it was beautiful. But it is has some big problems and crime, poverty, and violence are all part of that mix. And there were moments I didn't feel 100% safe when I was there. So, for someone high profile who grew up there, I can see why Pistorius might be somewhat on edge and a bit 'trigger happy'.

Let's just see what unfolds.

Even if Pistorius was the poster boy of Paralympism in recent years, there are luckily enough other inspiring Paralympians who still can serve as role model. Already the 2012 host nation Great Britain has produced enough of those talents, like Ellie Simmonds, Johnnie Peacock, Sarah Storey - who made headlines also in many other countries during the 2012 Games.

I believe no other Paralympic athlete tried competing also in the events for non-disabled, though - so far. But that can change. And that shouldn't actually be the indicator whether an athlete is inspiring. I prefer a humble, yet determined Ellie Simmonds over a nice, but also obviously extremely ambitious Oscar Pistorius any time.

And now we have to ask whether we have to add another side to Oscar Pistorius' character: Not only nice, not only extremely ambitious - but also ready to use even extreme violence. A complex character, as it seems now.

Pistorius strongly rejects the allegation that he committed premeditated murder:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/15/oscar-pistorius-tears-murder-charge

@Paul:

He was thinking "I hate life, myself, and everybody who ever supported me".

Lovely ambassador for South Africa.

simply discusting

I don't think that that much went through his head in that very moment. It seems very much as if he did it in the heat of the moment. Also his breakdown in court today is quite telling - unless he's a very good actor. I can imagine that he now can't believe himself what he did - and that he realises only now that he not only killed his girlfriend, but also his whole career and actually his own existence.

I have to agree, though, that it must be quite a shock for the South Africans that that guy was one of their most important poster boys for a couple of years.

The thing is, he lived in a "gated" community; and unless there was a rash of break-ins in his enclave, the "intruder" story really doesn't wash. And 4 shots? Wouldn't you shoot to warn and aim to wound?

I bet the RSA Olympic Committee and the Durban-dreamers will now have to re-strategize their 2024 plans. Calling Charlize Thieron and Mrs. Albert Grimaldi.

Archived