With today's 25th anniversary of the '88 games here in Calgary, there are rumblings that the city is interested in perhaps hosting the 2030 games. Here's a video from today's festivities and a mention of the possible 2030 bid:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Calgary/ID/2334895935/

Why not? The Olympic Oval is in great shape. The nordic trails out in Canmore are still in very good shape. Nakiska is still there. The Saddledome is still serving its purpose. The only place that could use some upkeep is COP. For instance they are no longer using the 90 meter ski jump there and just use it for zipline purposes. The sliding track is still in good shape but could just use some minor aesthetic work around it.

A curling arena would have to be built and a location for all the boarding and x-games style sports would have to be setup - perhaps the now-closed Fortress Mountain could be used which is slated to be reopened and redeveloped sometime around 2015. Fortress is located just south of Nakiska and was featured in the ski scenes in the movie Inception.

If Salt Lake is considering re-hosting, why not Calgary sometime down the road?

Well there's no harm in the city talking about a 2030 bid. However, there are some major obstacles. Will the rest of Canada support another Olympics in the West. Toronto and Quebec City are tapped as Canada's next host cities for Summer and Winter respectively. If Toronto wins a Summer Olympics before 2030 could push a bid more into the future.

We're only 3 years out from Vancouver and we're gonna talk about another Winter Olympics? No harm in Calgary being interesting in this, but I can't see it being a priority for Canada when it seems more likely they're going to start pushing Toronto. I'm betting they're hoping the USOC takes a longer look at Winter and hopes their Summer options and less than desirable and it could possibly open the door for Toronto to have a shot.

• Like 1

We're only 3 years out from Vancouver and we're gonna talk about another Winter Olympics? No harm in Calgary being interesting in this, but I can't see it being a priority for Canada when it seems more likely they're going to start pushing Toronto. I'm betting they're hoping the USOC takes a longer look at Winter and hopes their Summer options and less than desirable and it could possibly open the door for Toronto to have a shot.

Yeah I totally agree with you here. The COC is behind Toronto 2015 and its future Olympic aspirations. I doubt they would **** it out a 2nd time. (ie. Toronto 2008 and allowing Vancouver to build a bid for 2010 before Toronto 2008 was even decided.)

Obviously it could work - but hinges on the COA's ambitions. If Canada really wants the Summer Olympics, a Winter bid needs to be forgotten, for decades.

I believe there is a real chance that the a US city, and not Toronto, will land 2024/28. This would put a Winter US bid on the sidelines, and thus a Winter bid from Canada would become VERY tempting for the COA - with multiple Winter options like Calgary and Quebec City (which would be an AMAZING venue).

Ultimately IMO if the US gets 2024/28, and Canada refrains from bidding for the Winter Olympics 2026/38 - Toronto would have a real chance at 2036, onwards. That is still pretty decent -- four Olympics (two summer, two winter) within 60 years. Only the US would be doing better.

Will Japan if they will 2020 will have had 4 in 56 years.

It all depends on the Americans and South Africans.

Since 2020 is most likely going to Japan (though I am starting to think Madrid might win), 2024 will go to Europe, leaving 2028 for South Africa or North America.

So I just don't see the timing ever being right.

Which is exactly why I feel so ho-hum about Tokyo 2020 - despite its obvious strengths. It is so been there, done that. This is why I'm apprehensive about Canada in the 2020's - but at least (unlike Tokyo), Toronto would be a new host city.

It all depends on the Americans and South Africans.

Since 2020 is most likely going to Japan (though I am starting to think Madrid might win),

What gives you that idea? While I'm a strong supporter of Istanbul 2020 - and I can see the merits of Tokyo and could completely understand if the IOC overwhelming decides to go there in September - I fail to find ANY redeeming reasons to got to Madrid. What makes you think they might win? That would be a nightmare!

Which is exactly why I feel so ho-hum about Tokyo 2020 - despite its obvious strengths. It is so been there, done that. This is why I'm apprehensive about Canada in the 2020's - but at least (unlike Tokyo), Toronto would be a new host city.

What gives you that idea? While I'm a strong supporter of Istanbul 2020 - and I can see the merits of Tokyo and could completely understand if the IOC overwhelming decides to go there in September - I fail to find ANY redeeming reasons to got to Madrid. What makes you think they might win? That would be a nightmare!

The 32 votes Madrid likely already has in the bag, like it did for 2012 and 2016 and the recent wrestling fiasco that showed the outright power and influence of Juanito. In 2012 Madrid was a 2 vote swing from the final round when it was considered an also ran going into the vote. And a very respectable source has said Madrid would have won 2012 if it had gotten into second ahead of Paris. Madrid was also considered an also ran in 2016 with the presentations leaving some thinking Tokyo had a chance. It ended up being the final loser.

Spain is not insignificant in the world of the IOC though. Having someone like Juanito is huge. Turkey has one very minor member and Japan's NOC chairman is in the IOC.

Powerful IOC members tend to correlate well with successful bids. Barcelona, Albertville (by way of spain), Sydney, Torino, Vancouver, London, Sochi, Rio and Pyeongchang all had a strong member backing their bid. It is the difference between a few votes and those are the margins.

Spain is not insignificant in the world of the IOC though. Having someone like Juanito is huge. Turkey has one very minor member and Japan's NOC chairman is in the IOC.

Powerful IOC members tend to correlate well with successful bids. Barcelona, Albertville (by way of spain), Sydney, Torino, Vancouver, London, Sochi, Rio and Pyeongchang all had a strong member backing their bid. It is the difference between a few votes and those are the margins.

Significant enough to warrant European IOC members blocking the rest of the continent in favour of the third last European country to host the SOG? How much posthumous power does JAS really have for Madrid in a near post-Rogge world?

Edited by runningrings

Significant enough to warrant European IOC members blocking the rest of the continent in favour of the third last European country to host the SOG? How much posthumous power does JAS really have for Madrid in a near post-Rogge world?

Have to agree here. And not only that, but the IOC isn't stupid either. While yes, other past successful bids have had a strong IOC member on their side, their respective supporting bids have also had a strong economy & most a compelling argument to go there. This time, Spain has neither.