Calgary 2030 ?

SkiFreak

If the IOC truly believed Madrid could not host the event in the summer of 2020 they wouldn't be on the shortlist.

However technically Madrid is way ahead of Baku and Doha. So on that level which the IOC bases its decision on, Madrid definitely deserved to go through.

No one has said anything about their capability. The facts remain, Spain's economy is teetering, & their narrative is anything but compelling. Something that those other bids at least had. Istanbul was also on the 2008 short-list, but no one thought (other than Turks on here) that they would win against the most compelling candidate on the ballot.

If the IOC truly believed Madrid could not host the event in the summer of 2020 they wouldn't be on the shortlist.

I have no doubt about Madrid's capability to host the Olympic Games well, this just is not the time, and I can't see it being the right time until at least 2032 and beyond (similar to the length of time Australia waited from 1956 to 2000, even then, I think we did VERY well to get 2000 44 years after 1956). Madrid made the shortlist because of a lack of interest from other cities. I'm pretty certain if cities like Paris and perhaps Los Angeles had stepped forward for 2020, Madrid wouldn't have made the cut as the IOC would have had a neat and tidy five cities to work with. I also think that snubbing Madrid in the 2020 cut off wouldn't have gone down well internally. Including Madrid is just keeping the peace - we all know this race is down to technically strong Tokyo, and exotic new frontier Istanbul. Madrid is fodder.

Archived