Wrestling dropped from the Olympics

hektor

I have to be honest, I think there were only two sports I saw nothing of during London 2012 on TV or in person. One was Table Tennis. Three guesses at the other.

Surprised Modern Pentathlon didn't get the chop though. Is their one stadium plan really an improvement? Sounds slightly ridiculous to me.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be honest, I think there were only two sports I saw nothing of during London 2012 on TV or in person. One was Table Tennis. Three guesses at the other.

Surprised Modern Pentathlon didn't get the chop though. Is their one stadium plan really an improvement? Sounds slightly ridiculous to me.

TBH in Canada there was plenty of Wrestling on TV. Modern Pentathlon I had to stream to see, even when there was literally nothing else on to put on TV (the women's individual was the last event).

Then again a ninth of Canada;s medals came from Wrestling. Only 1 British wrestler was in London so that is likely why. Did Canada see any nordic combined action on tv in Vancouver? No because only one athlete was there.

I did see the 10km Normal Hill in Vancouver, in full. Remember it well because the finish was really good.

Then again, I think it was on NBC, not CTV.

Well, yes, that's the only reason I saw any MP too. But wrestling seemed to pass me by.

The Brits only had one Wrestler qualified, who was originally from Ukraine, despite being the home nation and being offered more home nation slots. Essentially there is no Olympic sport Great Britain is worse at than Wrestling. I'd suspect that's why there was so few of it on BBC.

IOC vote a wake-up call for hockey: FIH president

New Delhi: International Hockey Federation (FIH) president Leandro Negre admitted that International Olympic Committee (IOC) decision to leave out wrestling from core sports for the 2020 Games was a rude shock but it has served as a wake cup call for hockey bosses.

"What happened in the IOC executive board was a rude shock for all of us. It was something we were not expecting," Negre told reporters on the sidelines of the Hero Hockey World League Round 2 here Thursday.

While the axe fell on wrestling, hockey was also in the danger zone of being left out from the 2020 Games but survived in voting at the IOC executive committee meeting in Zurich this month.

The Spaniard, however, said that hockey's future was safe.

"The hockey tournament was a success in the London Games in terms of crowd and finance. But the IOC vote was a wake-up call for us. We believe that hockey is very strong in the Olympics, but we need to see how we can make it better," Negre said.

"The decision in Lausanne was more to do with procedure and even the people at IOC were surprised by the outcome. The final report in this matter has not been finalised yet," he added.

Negre said the world body could not afford to get complacent and has to find out ways to expand the game.

"We are in the 2016 and 2020 Olympics. But the fact that the IOC is looking at the status of various sports is good for us. We are taking it in a positive way. It tells us where we are and ensures we are not slipping," the Spaniard said.

Asked what FIH was doing to popularize the game in other countries, Negre said: "We are giving more responsibilities to the continental bodies. They are now in charge of developing the game in the continents. We have also asked all the continental bodies to appoint a full time CEO, because the sport has to be run professionally."

Negre said he has had talks with Hockey India (HI) secretary general Narinder Batra to have a tournament involving Pakistan in Bangladesh.

"The sport has huge potential in Bangladesh. I did discuss with Mr.Batra the possibilities of having a tournament involving India and Pakistan in Bangladesh," he said.

http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/hockey/item/203985-ioc-vote-a-wake-up-call-for-hockey-fih-president

Russian wrestler returns Olympic gold in protest

MOSCOW (Reuters) – Russia’s Sagid Murtazaliev has become the second wrestler in the last few days to return his Olympic gold medal in protest against the sport’s possible exclusion from the Games.

“I must admit it was a tough decision,” Murtazaliev, who won gold in freestyle wrestling at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, was quoted as saying by the local outlet R-Sport on Tuesday.

“But after thinking it over, I decided to follow the example of Valentin Yordanov,” he said in a reference to the seven-times world champion from Bulgaria who last week sent his 1996 Olympic gold medal back to the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Murtazaliev said he has also written a letter to IOC president Jacques Rogge, protesting against the IOC executive board’s recommendation to drop the sport in 2020.

The decision has outraged the wrestling community throughout the world, with several countries, including the sport’s superpowers Russia, Japan and the United States, lobbying the IOC to keep the ancient sport on the Olympic programme.

Part of the first modern Olympics in 1896 and all further editions, except the 1900 Paris Games, wrestling now joins seven other candidates battling for one spot in a revamped programme.

The IOC executive board will meet in St Petersburg in May to determine which of them will be put to the vote at the IOC session in Buenos Aires in September.

“I felt I had to do something to try to keep wrestling as part of the Olympics,” Murtazaliev, 38, now a member of parliament in his native republic of Dagestan in the North Caucasus, said.

http://www.euronews.com/sport/1836768-russian-wrestler-returns-olympic-gold-in-protest/

Anyone notice the difference in reaction between the hockey and wrestling federations? Hockey talks about a wake-up call, the need for change, making their sport better, working withi the IOC, etc. Wrestling is full out outrage and complaints. Yes, I know the situations are a bit difference. But I think wrestling would be better served with a different approach.

Anyone notice the difference in reaction between the hockey and wrestling federations? Hockey talks about a wake-up call, the need for change, making their sport better, working withi the IOC, etc. Wrestling is full out outrage and complaints. Yes, I know the situations are a bit difference. But I think wrestling would be better served with a different approach.

Not sure if you noticed, but Hockey is still in the Olympics. That helps a lot when it comes to keeping a calm head.

Association of National Olympic Committees head says wrestling has his full support

The head of the Association of National Olympic Committees says wrestling has the unanimous support of his executive council.

Sheik Ahmad Al Fahad Al Sabah says he’ll take up the issue with the International Olympic Committee, whose executive board made the surprise recommendation recently to cut wrestling from the 2020 Summer Games.

Al Sabah says “we are very keen to maintain wrestling in the sport program.”

He spoke to the Australian Associated Press after meeting with the ANOC executive in Sydney on Tuesday.

Al Sabah says ANOC would work closely with the international wrestling federation before the IOC session in September at Buenos Aires that will have the final say on the 2020 sports program.

He says “I have confidence that the session will vote in favor of maintaining wrestling.”

AP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/association-of-national-olympic-committees-head-says-wrestling-has-his-full-support/2013/03/05/20e95b10-8585-11e2-a80b-3edc779b676f_story.html

Wrestling leader states case to IOC

LAUSANNE, Switzerland -- The acting head of wrestling's world body met with IOC president Jacques Rogge on Thursday, promising to fight to retain the sport's Olympic status and apologizing for the protest by wrestlers who have returned their medals.

Nenad Lalovic, interim FILA president, said Rogge outlined the difficult task wrestling faces in a race among eight sports seeking one vacancy on the program for the 2020 Games.

"He said that everybody has to earn their place," Lalovic said after the 40-minute meeting at International Olympic Committee headquarters.

"I don't see any other way" but hard work, the Serbian official acknowledged, in persuading the IOC to reverse last month's surprise recommendation by the executive board to cut wrestling from the 2020 program.

Lalovic also apologized to Rogge for the wrestlers who have sent back their Olympic medals to the IOC in anger.

"I was the first to say that, 'I'm very sorry that it happens,' " Lalovic said. "I strongly believe it is not good for wrestling. This is not something that is going to help us."

Earlier Thursday, Andrzej Supron of Poland pledged to return his silver medal in the Greco-Roman lightweight division won at the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

Sagid Murtazaliyev of Russia and Valentin Yordanov of Bulgaria have said they would return gold medals, while two-time Olympic champion Armen Nazaryan of Bulgaria has gone on a hunger strike.

"Of course, we can't control individual activities and we can't stop them," Lalovic said.

The IOC board will meet on May 29 in St. Petersburg, Russia, to recommend a short list of sports to be considered for inclusion in 2020. The final decision will be made by the full IOC membership at their assembly in September in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

A combined baseball-softball bid, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, wakeboarding, and the martial arts of karate and wushu are the other sports vying for 2020 inclusion.

The IOC described the meeting with Lalovic as "productive."

"A wide range of topics was discussed and the IOC looks forward to continued collaboration with FILA in the coming months and in the run-up to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games," the Olympic body said.

FILA is seeking to harness global support for its campaign, which has brought together the United States, Russia and Iran in a rare show of unity.

FILA has appealed for wrestlers to stop their protests through a message from Russian great Alexander Karelin, newly recruited to its athletes committee.

"We would like to request each of you to redirect your passions," the message on the FILA website stated. "We appreciate your tenacity and understand that complacency is not in your DNA.

"Nonetheless, returning your gold medal is counterproductive. Before the practice escalates, we urge you to keep your Olympic medals and celebrate your achievement."

Karelin's appointment is among a slate of modernizing changes FILA made since being rocked by the Feb. 12 decision. Its president, Swiss businessman Raphael Martinetti, resigned within days.

"We were sleeping on our ears," said Lalovic, who will be a candidate in a presidential election scheduled in the coming weeks.

AP

http://espn.go.com/olympics/wrestling/story/_/id/9026683/wrestling-leader-nenad-lalovic-states-case-ioc-jacques-rogge

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that wrestling will make it back in. It makes far more sense than any of the other sports vying for inclusion.

Don't like any of the new sports on offer? Then create an outcry by striking an unexpected sport from the program, later bowing to public pressure to reinstate it. Just such a shame it scuppers the chances of any new sports being picked eh? Sneaky... :unsure:

I thought a little bit about the problem and by dropping greco-roman and eliminate some weight classes for example in male boxing you could have space for new sports. You can also create a mixed team event in Badminton instead of Doubles (M+W) + Mixed. And maybe the same with Table Tennis: one mixed team event instead of one event per gender. And by this you could add other sports like Squash or Climbing.

I wrote it down a little bit more detailed in my blog (German).

modernespiele.blogspot.com

Archived