Wrestling dropped from the Olympics

hektor

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the day I think what did wrestling in was the lack of supporters on the executive committee. All other sports had some supporters. Wrestling is more of an Eastern European/Asian sport hence why the majority European committee decided to drop it. 28 nations winning a medal in wrestling !! And they keep table tennis which 6 medals from the beginning are guaranteed to go to China?? I just don't understand the decision.

Both Turkey and Japan have strong wrestling traditions as well so this is just mind boggling.

Another prospective:

Maybe the IOC deemed wrestling as the best to compete with the other sports and think it will survive the vote.

Who knows.

in any case wrestling will be at 2020 games. both japan and turkey has a strong tradition and want to participate in their homelands.

by the way oldest as athletics , dumpest desicion of IOC to kick out the wrestling from the games. it was a flash news on sports in Turkey

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/modern-pentathlon/1012447-modern-pentathlon-proposes-holding-all-five-events-in-same-stadium-at-rio-2016

"We might get removed from the Olympic Programme. Whilst you are trying to stay away from white elephants, we propose you build us a new, separate stadium for a five hour competition."

Utter madness.

in any case wrestling will be at 2020 games. both japan and turkey has a strong tradition and want to participate in their homelands.

by the way oldest as athletics , dumpest desicion of IOC to kick out the wrestling from the games. it was a flash news on sports in Turkey

The host city (OCOG) doesn't have any say on the programme, this solely rests with the IOC. This vote (in Buenos Aires in September) is effective in 2020 onwards.

This is probably a clear signal that karate will be added.

Exactly what I thought. Karate has asked for 120 quotas. Wrestling has 344. Softball and baseball come closest to the 344.

However I am thinking the IOC might increase quotas elsehwere like boxing and basketball.

The vote:

Wrestling was always the leader in a race no-one wanted to be out in front of.

In the first round they and modern pentathlon each polled five votes with hockey getting two and canoeing and taekwondo once.

In the second wrestling got seven votes, modern pentathlon four with canoeing, hockey and taekwondo one.

In a run-off, canoeing ensured its survival with three votes compared to hockey's six and taekwondo five.

Taekwondo was then eliminated when no-one voted for them in the fourth round as six voted for wrestling, five for modern pentathlon and three for hockey.

In the final vote it was between hockey, modern pentathlon and wrestling.

Wrestling lost, as eight members voted for them, with hockey and modern pentathlon getting three.

http://m.insidethegames.biz/1012857-xx-fighting-for-olympic-future-after-dropped-from-core-sports

What an undignified haggling over the next Olympic sport to be eliminated - and what a completely bullsh*t decision by the IOC! I agree: What on earth have those guys smoked? It's a traditional Olympic sport, for heaven's sake - staged already at the ancient Games in Olympia! My granduncle who was an avid wrestler in his youth probably now twirls in his grave.

And that's not a matter of "How often have you complainers watched wrestling?", Zekekelso. Wrestling is broadcast only rarely on German TV during the Summer Games, since there are hardly any strong German contenders for a medal currently. But I remember strongly how Alexander Leipold won wrestling gold in 2000 and did a cartwheel after his victory (only to be stripped off of the medal days later, due to a high nandrolone level in his blood). The successes of Wilfried Dietrich ("The crane of Schifferstadt") and 1984 Olympic Champion Pasquale Passarelli are also legendary here in Germany. So even if Germany is not extremely successful in wrestling right now, it has a strong wrestling tradition.

Why not scrap weightlifting instead - a sport which is extremely doping-prone? Or synchronised swimming, a sport mainly watched by women and where always the same few nations win a medal? Or cycling (or at least road cycling), regarding the never-ending list of serious and very prominent cases of doping?

The IOC's decision is really beyond me.

I am absolutely surprised by the near-universal condemnation of this decision. Even causal Olympic and sports fans are filling message and comment boards with outrage and confusion.

FILA is a model federation. The only justification I can see for this is if the IOC wanted to eliminate Greco-Roman wrestling but had to eliminate the entire sport and then work with FILA to re-introduce just freestyle wrestling.

And out of all the options for inclusion in 2020, wrestling is by far the most universal and most worthy of inclusion in the program. This has to be politics pure and simple.

The decision even made it into the main news programme of German TV, the "Tagesschau". I don't remember they reported about the scrapping of baseball and softball from the Olympic programme before. So that tells something about the surprise and outrage that decision has caused.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/modern-pentathlon/1012447-modern-pentathlon-proposes-holding-all-five-events-in-same-stadium-at-rio-2016

"We might get removed from the Olympic Programme. Whilst you are trying to stay away from white elephants, we propose you build us a new, separate stadium for a five hour competition."

Utter madness.

The host city (OCOG) doesn't have any say on the programme, this solely rests with the IOC. This vote (in Buenos Aires in September) is effective in 2020 onwards.

correct me if im wrong but host city can choose an olympic sports in the games? or im wrong informated

Am very suprised by this decision. To drop a sport practiced in the Ancient Olympics doesnt seem right. I personally dont really understand the rules of Wrestling, but certainly feel it should continue in the olympics.

Especially over a sport like Golf. Golf should have never been added.

Golf can survive without the olmypics, but I am not sure how wrestling will go if it is not in the olympics.

I would have thought Modern Pentathlon would have been a better bet to axe.

correct me if im wrong but host city can choose an olympic sports in the games? or im wrong informated

No, that is no longer the case, certainly with the Olympic Games. I think it used to be - and believe it still is with regards to the Commonwealth Games. However, the sports programme for the Olympic Games these days is decided purely by the IOC.

Not anymore, emre. But Beijing still held a "wushu" competition in 2008 alongside (or right before) the Oympics, but they did not and could NOT award Olympic medals. I don't think the IOC was too happy with that move.

This decision wrecks of corruption, with Juanito being on the EB and all. The fact that the FILA or the FIH weren't even aware that their sport where in danger is just ridiculous.

The entire thing smells of MaFIFA.

That is precisely it. The IOC asked FILA to go to 6+6+6 events (one for each discipline MF, WF and MGR) but FILA refused late last year.

What is MF, WF and MGR? Regarding acronyms, sometimes less is more.

This decision wrecks of corruption, with Juanito being on the EB and all. The fact that the FILA or the FIH weren't even aware that their sport where in danger is just ridiculous.

The entire thing smells of MaFIFA.

I hate to say that I have to agree.

Archived