Wrestling dropped from the Olympics

hektor

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahahhaahah so happy borlestling got dropped. such a boring sport lol.

first baseboring, now borlrestling.

I'm so happy.

"Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. They will be vying for a single opening in 2020."

blah, just read this. They will compete against useless sports. They gonna win a spot again

:(

That is a bad decision by the IOC!!

I watched wrestling for the first time, when I was in London for the first time - and I have to say I nearly saw never such thrilling/entertaining sport before

Really? I practiced wrestling (for other reasons) but watching it? lol

Really? I practiced wrestling (for other reasons) but watching it? lol

Yeah - I really 'fell in love' with that sport!!!

Next to me sat a guy from the USA with his Swedish Grand-father, This guy was a wrestler in Highschool and he explained the rules.

And I just can say that I will go to wrestling in Rio, when I go to the next Olympic Games

Olympics: Japan stunned by IOC decision to drop wrestling for 2020

LAUSANNE, Switzerland, Feb. 12, Kyodo

The International Olympic Committee's executive board dropped wrestling from the Summer Olympic program from the 2020 Games on Tuesday.

The decision is a bitter shock for Japan. The sport produced six of Japan's 38 medals at last summer's London Olympics, including four of its seven gold medals.

"I cannot believe it," said three-time Olympic gold medalist Saori Yoshida. "This is nothing but shocking and frustrating."

"A lot of youngsters, too, are aiming to compete in the Olympics, and they must be wondering what they should do from this point on."

Wrestling will now join seven other sports bodies seeking one spot for inclusion in the 2020 program. Among those competing for that berth is baseball and softball, whose federations merged last year to present a joint bid, karate and squash.

The IOC executive board will meet again in May to decide which sport will be added to the 2020 program, with the final vote on the matter to take place at September's IOC session in Buenos Aires.

Tokyo is currently bidding to host the 2020 Olympic Games along with Madrid and Istanbul. The 2020 host will also be determined at the September session.

Chiharu Igaya, an honorary member of the IOC, said he was stunned when he received word of the decision.

"I learned of it in a mail I received from the IOC," he said. "I couldn't believe my eyes."

"This is one of the original Olympic sports. I don't understand the rationale behind excluding it. Generally speaking, I was surprised."

Japan Olympic Committee chairman Tsunekazu Takeda said it was completely out of the blue.

"I find it a little hard to believe," he said. "There was absolutely no hint of this. I'm stunned."

Kyodo

Dumb decision by the IOC.

Two things:

-China lobbied hard against Japan to protect badminton and table tennis.

-Wrestling might have wanted more women weight classes and with the athlete total capepd it probably responded by saying no unless you drop greco-roman in which FILA said no. So the IOC just dropped it to prevent a media nightmare.

-Is this a possible foreshadowing of a Istanbul 2020 win? (As wrestling has been one of Japan's best sports)

-The IOC only discussed 5 sports canoeing, taekwondo, MP, wrestling and field hockey. The latter 3 making the final 3 to see who would get cut.

They chose moden pentathlon over wrestling, which is one of the few ancient olympic sports... What are they smoking in the IOC?

They are smoking Samarach, Jr. There was certainly a lot of politics.

I still think wrestling is better than any of the other proposed sports (except baseball, but I can live without it on the program) though I don't know much about wushu.

I would have have thrown my computer out the window if I had read that canoeing was cut as I have fallen in love with that sport. Also glad MP was saved because I like the all-around nature of the event.

If I had my way I would cut soccer (because it has the only event that rivals the Olympics in popularity and prestige.)

Wrestling has had quite a few bad things happening during the last two Olympics, questionable judging, athletes refusing to compete against each others for religious or racial issues and faking an injury, athlete refusing his medal... the IOC has a lot of memory and that can play. Maybe this is good news for sports such as Karate and Wushu.

Otherwise I am glad MP stays, because it has this old, Brundage era, Olympics flavour to it. And I guess it is using existing facilities so it must not be that expensive to put together.

Terrible news for wrestling now, the future of their sport is very bleak. Golf and tennis can survive without being on the Olympic programme. Women's football would suffer if football was dropped (although football was the only one struggling to shift tickets in 2012). Modern Pentathlon got lucky, they've had some ridiculous proposals recently. Golf, with Rugby, can't be dropped and I realise that Rugby could survive not being on the Olympic Programme - but I believe there is a lot of development potential with Rugby and it would be a very exciting addition for the Games. Regarding Modern Pentathlon, in times when the IOC is trying to avoid "White Elephants", to suggest you have a stadium built solely for your sport when they have previously used existing stadia is crazy when your sport is under threat. I don't know what UIPM are thinking and think they got lucky. The whole "invented by de Coubertin" thing will only wash so far.

Wish I could cut and paste the YouTube clips of wrestling from Sydney withe the Roy and HG commentary (but only having the iPad on my travels limits me). You'd never think it's boring watching it to a Barry White soundtrack with Rampaging Roy's double entendres.

Wrestling has had quite a few bad things happening during the last two Olympics, questionable judging, athletes refusing to compete against each others for religious or racial issues and faking an injury, athlete refusing his medal... the IOC has a lot of memory and that can play. Maybe this is good news for sports such as Karate and Wushu.

Otherwise I am glad MP stays, because it has this old, Brundage era, Olympics flavour to it. And I guess it is using existing facilities so it must not be that expensive to put together.

I think when you take "questionable judging" as a criteria would be boxing on the top, which sport should be "banned"...

I think when you take "questionable judging" as a criteria would be boxing on the top, which sport should be "banned"...

Indeed. Obviously this could be a message to a few other sports that nothing is granted.

This must be a big disappointment for the Istanbul bid since the Turks are big wrestling fans. The thing is, they can't double-up the Wrestling venue with anything else. At least Modern Pentathlon does NOT require its own venues; it just piggybacks on 5 other existing venues.

False. Modern Pentathlon wants its own special venue where all five sports can be heald from 2016 on.

Archived