Sign in to follow this  
Kenadian

Calgary 1988 - 25 Years Ago...

Probably because NHL players now get a lot more attention at the Olympics

No. Figure Skating has changed because they have loaded the 2nd half with bonus points if you keep doing the jumps that you could freshly do in the first half of your routine. It used to be overall balanced programs before, but now they're just more athletically demanding in the final half. And of course, quads are now a requisite part of the men's routines, so it's JUST more challenging now than it was in the 80s. Look at a Sonja Henie routine from the 30s, and you think it's a young girl's routine today maybe just in the juniors. Like everything else, the sport of Figure Skating has evolved. After Sochi, the ISU will be allowing "sung lyrics" to even the singles' routines as is only allowed in Ice Dancing now. Can't wait when they will allow pyrotechnics too.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

No. Figure Skating has changed because they have loaded the 2nd half with bonus points if you keep doing the jumps that you could freshly do in the first half of your routine. It used to be overall balanced programs before, but now they're just more athletically demanding in the final half. And of course, quads are now a requisite part of the men's routines, so it's JUST more challenging now than it was in the 80s. Look at a Sonja Henie routine from the 30s, and you think it's a young girl's routine today maybe just in the juniors. Like everything else, the sport of Figure Skating has evolved. After Sochi, the ISU will be allowing "sung lyrics" to even the singles' routines as is only allowed in Ice Dancing now. Can't wait when they will allow pyrotechnics too.

Also, they had compulsory figures back in Calgary, which made for a whole different dynamic for the singles competitions.

Also, they had compulsory figures back in Calgary, which made for a whole different dynamic for the singles competitions.

Yes indeed. Dramatically different contest.

I've seen it on Youtube that ABC did a piece during their Calgary coverage on the future of compulsory figures. Even not being a fan of figure skating, I can completely see why they were eliminated.

Some of your experiences with Calgary sound like mine with Nagano 10 years later. Calgary is something to be pround of for Canadians and is one of the trio of ideal winter games (Calgary, Lillehammer and Salt Lake City)

Could Calgary host them again? How different would it be? Will new venues be built?

I'd expect something like this:

Existing:

McMahon Stadium - Ceremonies

Olympic Oval - Speed Skating

Olympic Saddledome - Figure Skating/Short Track

Stampede Corral - Curling

Olympic Ski Jump - Ski Jumping/Nordic combined

Olympic Sliding Center - Bobsleigh/Luge/Skeleton

Canmore Nordic Center - Biathlon/Cross Country Skiing/Nordic Combined

Nakiska - Alpine Skiing

Sunshine Village - Freestyle Skiing

Lake Louise Skiing Area - Snowboard

New:

New Calgary Arena - Ice Hockey I

Ice Hockey Arena 2 - Ice Hockey II

It could still remain as the University's stadium.

So if that were the case, (and given the ideal location right next to the Athletes Village) it would be used in a 60,000+ capacity, rather than say a new downtown stadium at 40,000 or so. It might also be used for symbolic reasons too.

I'm just asking myself whether those venues still can be sustained at modern standards for another 20 to 25 years. Because that's the time I suppose it will take until Canada may host Winter Games again. In my opinion, 2018 will go to Europe, 2022 to North America, but to Denver or some other American city, 2026 to Asia (especially China), 2030 back to Europe and 2034 would probably be the earliest opportunity for a new Canadian Winter Games bid.

EDIT: Oops, I'm sorry - 2018 has of course already been awarded to certain city called Pyeongchang. One forgets defeats so easily. ;) So all the years in my prognosis have to be shifted to four years later:

2022 Europe

2026 Denver or another US city

2030 Asia (especially China)

2034 Europe

2038 Calgary or another Canadian city?

So it would be precisely 25 years from now and 50 years after the 1988 Games that Calgary would host another edition of the Olympic Winter Games.

Calgary did put in a domestic bid for the 2010 Games, but placed third behind Quebec City and the ultimate winner, Vancouver.

I, too, am of the mind that Canada will not host the Winter Games for a minimum of 20 years after Vancouver. Calgary would be in good position to mount another bid as the city is prosperous, growing and has the legacy of 1988. While Canada is an emerged winter sports power with two previous Winter hostings and a national DNA that is embedded with snow and ice, the country doesn't really have a lot of options for hosting the Winter Olympics. Only Alberta and British Columbia have the mountain heights and populations bases needed. While Quebec City makes for an attractive option in the Rest of Canada, it has mountain issues to overcome. Anywhere else in the country with big enough mountains are far too remote from urban centers to merit hosting.

That said, I think a second Calgary Olympics would rely more on new or heavily rebuilt venues, in contrast to their vision for their failed 2010 bid. While Calgary's venues seem to be mostly well maintained, they would be 40+ years old by then and the Olympics themselves have grown since 1988. Certainly the ski facilities could be reused, but I think the Oval and arenas would be rebuilt. I can see the Calgary Flames supporting a new star arena if the city were to bid again.

And really, in Canada I think the list of Winter host options are surprisingly limited - Calgary and Vancouver for certain. Quebec City a maybe. And then a smattering of smaller places, mostly in British Columbia such as Kelowna in the Okanagan (population ~150K) or Nelson in the Kootenay region (population ~20K), or Banff or Jasper in Alberta (both in heavily protected National Parks).

How would your summer timetable work?

I didn't really think about that. ;) But it would somehow go well with the winter timetable, geopolitics-wise. ;)

I didn't really think about that. ;) But it would somehow go well with the winter timetable, geopolitics-wise. ;)

;)

I am beginning to think that Canada and the United States will share the next round of North American hosting duties. One will get Summer, the other Winter.

I think the Americans will be more than happy to forgo a Winter Games for a Summer and it will land in the lap of Canada.

We lost Calgary 88's mayor and subsequent premier today. RIP King Ralph: Ralph Klein 1942-2013. Ralph passed away just a short while ago:

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/the-people-s-premier-ralph-klein-1942-2013-1.1216511

Godspeed Ralph, you left a great legacy.