IAAF World Championships Moscow 2013

yep you dont see races like that everyday!!!

Aslso

I wonder if in Russia The preparations for the Sochi Winter Olympics have been getting blanket coverage
As well as using up all the resources that would have otherwise gone into promoting the world athletics championships the Sochi exhibition during the London Olympics was very impressive.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great day for German athletics, with a silver for shot putter Christina Schwanitz and a gold and a bronze for Raphael Holzdeppe and Björn Otto in the pole vault, with Holzdeppe dethroning the current pole vault dominator Renaud Lavillenie.

But I must say it's a bit worrying how empty the stadium is. Berlin had problems filling the Olympic Stadium as well on the first days, with significantly higher attendances (and even sell-outs) towards and on the final weekend. But Moscow seems to have even bigger problems. That's strange for a country with such strong athletic legacy. Or are the tickets that expensive?

Barrondo (GUA) was disqualified on 20K race walk while commanding the race with 2K to go... :( So unfair!

Still I have hopes on Mirna Ortiz on women's race walk, to start in about 2 hours...

R they still doing those race walks? Gawd!! Just remove these dorky races if they want to take Modern Pentath out

R they still doing those race walks? Gawd!! Just remove these dorky races if they want to take Modern Pentath out

I agree. If they want to cut back on disciplines, those events are ripe for retirement. So bloody dorky and technical, and no way the average layman can really tell if it's fair or not when anyone's been disqualified.

They could have held the champs in a school gymnasium, would have held the crowd. Considering the gold star events of the 100m finals have already been completed it does not leave much hope for the rest of the contest.

Can't wait for the Glasgow 2014 events as teh crowds and atmosphere will be amazing :)

They could have held the champs in a school gymnasium, would have held the crowd. Considering the gold star events of the 100m finals have already been completed it does not leave much hope for the rest of the contest.

Can't wait for the Glasgow 2014 events as teh crowds and atmosphere will be amazing :)

As long as it doesn't rain...:)

Considering Canada sent a very small, inexperienced team with a number of notables not attending. It is going to be a great success.

This has to be the most incorrect statement

46 athletes is larger then out last 2-3 championships. What notables (besides Lopes-Schliep). Majority of them are here.

---------

On a side note Theisen-Eaton is close to winning Canada's second medal.

This has to be the most incorrect statement

46 athletes is larger then out last 2-3 championships. What notables (besides Lopes-Schliep). Majority of them are here.

---------

On a side note Theisen-Eaton is close to winning Canada's second medal.

I don't know, how about Jared Connaughton, Justyn Warner (half of the Olympic 4x100m team), Nikita Holder, Phyicia George and Jusitn Rodhe (who has one of the longest throws of anyone this season).

And yes in athletics we always send a small team, the Canadian Associations criteria for selection is higher than the IAAFs. So it is a team that is a lot smaller than it could be and given the dozen or more athletes that were at the Olympics not but these championships it would be reasonable to expect a team in the 50+ athlete range.

I don't know, how about Jared Connaughton, Justyn Warner (half of the Olympic 4x100m team), Nikita Holder, Phyicia George and Jusitn Rodhe (who has one of the longest throws of anyone this season).

And yes in athletics we always send a small team, the Canadian Associations criteria for selection is higher than the IAAFs. So it is a team that is a lot smaller than it could be and given the dozen or more athletes that were at the Olympics not but these championships it would be reasonable to expect a team in the 50+ athlete range.

Warner is on the 4x100 team, he lost on in the 100m at the trials. Holder is pregnant. George is off this year. Rhode is injured. But I wouldn't have expected medals from any of these athletes. Maybe Rhode. We still have medal hopes in Armstrong and the High Jump + relay.

The standards for Moscow are much more difficult by the IAAF then they were in London, that is why Canada's team is down a few from London. Also I don't think the CAA had different standards, because they allowed the women to partake in the marathon when they outright refused for London. Out teams in 2009 and 2011 were with 31/32 athletes so 46 is a strong sign of improved athletics.

inToronto. I don't think you can disagree with me that these championships have been a tremendous success for Canada. And makes me very hopeful for Canada's performance at Glasgow 2014.

Huge success second best performance (behind 95).

--------

Bodarenko just missed 3 shots at the WR in the High jump;

Is Farah now arguably the greatest 5/10000 metre runner of all time?

Oh please. He's just won ONE Olympics and one WC.

First, there's Emil Zatopek. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Z%C3%A1topek

2nd paragraph in that page: " Zátopek was the first athlete to break the 29-minute barrier in the 10 km run (in 1954). Three years earlier, in 1951, he had broken the hour for running 20 km. He is widely considered to be one of the greatest runners of the 20th century and was also known for his brutally tough training methods. In February 2013, the editors at Runner's World Magazine selected him as the Greatest Runner of All Time."

Then there's Lasse Viren who almost duplicated Zatope's double 5k-10k victories in Munich 1972 and Montreal 1976. (no marathon).

. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasse_Vir%C3%A9n

If Mo Farah Fawcett surpasses Zatopek's and Viren's back-to-back accomplishments, then he can become the Greatest 5k-10k runner of all time. Farah has quite a bit to go.

Archived