Carnaval in Rio and in Brazil! Preview for Oly Ceremonies?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to the winner! Deserved victory! Amazing parade from Vila Isabel.

A bit sad about my Mangueira and the Sao Clemente (the school from the neighbourhood I've born). Both were so poor in the scores...

I just found out my friend is from the neighbourhood of Vila Isabel, she just told me yesterday when I asked her who she wanted to win, now they won so I'm very happy for her! And they did have some amazing costumes, I would love to parade as the green grass!

Don't worry Danny, at least you dont have to wait 4 year to compete again!

Mangueira

s_c17_17857134.jpg

s_c26_42848156.jpg

i would like to join rio carnival some day. the problem there aren't any good flights from asia to south america. so it's a hassle to go.

True enough, no direct flights from most of Asia. But you can come via Dubai in Asia.

South African Airways and Qatar Airways have interesting ways to reach Sao Paulo (then you need a third 30-minute flight to Rio) or via lots of connections in Europe or USA (Dallas, Houston, Charlotte New York and Miami have direct flights to Rio).

*Washington DC have direct flights to Rio too.

The samba school Unidos da Tijuca selected "Germany" as its theme this year, due the German year starts in Brazil right now.

Actually, we're technically still on the year Brazil/Portugal: from 7/Sep/2012 to 10/Jun/2013, Brazil (independence) and Portugal (Camoens') days, respectively.

I'd expect the "years" not to overlap, otherwise it just comes across as rude (from a diplomatic point of view).

But I couldn't find the official period of the Brazil/Germany year (2013-2014).

If that has already started, I'd find it odd (although possible). On the other hand, if that hasn't started yet, then Unidos da Tijuca was a bit unfortunate as it would be better to do this theme next year.

Anyway, it's just a minor issue to me which does not reflect my opinion on this particular parade (which I never watch by the way; I find it too boring if you can instead just celebrate) or on the bilateral realtions between these countries.

I just watched a video of Vila Isabel's parade this year. Or at least I tried to watch the whole thing. The video's 1 & 1/2 hours long!

That was the first time I watched a Carnaval parade and it left me more confused than wowed. I watched the first 30 minutes and then skipped to random parts (and then a few minutes of some of the other parades) and to me it seemed like I was watching the same thing: cast and costume overload, mind-numbing non-stop music with little variation.

Don't get me wrong -- I did find the costumes and floats spectacular, but I was expecting something like a contest of "mini-OCs" with each parade having a more defined narrative and theme. The whole thing just felt more languid than upbeat, more chaotic than choreographed, more exhausting than uplifting.

If the Rio 2016 OC will take on a Carnaval parade approach, I fear that the whole thing would be visually nice but mind-numbing overall. Kind of like if Beijing 2008 chose an all-out ancient dynasty-to-dynasty performance theme for its OC with screeching traditional music from start to finish. If the Rio 2016 OC would go along the lines of the Carnaval, I hope the creative team would be able to direct it into a well-paced show with tight narrative and a good balance of push and pull elements.

On a side note, has the Sambadrome ever been considered as the ceremonies venue, either by the Rio bid/organizing team or people on GamesBids? It seems like a nice change of venue style for an OC with the cauldron at one end. It won't be conducive to traditional in-the-round stadium theater, but it still has lots of creative potential.

I just found out my friend is from the neighbourhood of Vila Isabel, she just told me yesterday when I asked her who she wanted to win, now they won so I'm very happy for her! And they did have some amazing costumes, I would love to parade as the green grass!

Don't worry Danny, at least you dont have to wait 4 year to compete again!

Mangueira

s_c17_17857134.jpg

That's simply not going to do for the 2016 Opening. I mean, it's like a herd of stampeding buffalo. All the details are obscured by the whole mob. Of course what'll end up in the 2016 Ceremonies will also depend a great deal on what 2014 World Cup producers will use for their Opening & Closing. If they use the Carnaval theme, then Rio & Birch/Ballich better look for some other fresh ideas.

True enough, no direct flights from most of Asia. But you can come via Dubai in Asia.

South African Airways and Qatar Airways have interesting ways to reach Sao Paulo (then you need a third 30-minute flight to Rio) or via lots of connections in Europe or USA (Dallas, Houston, Charlotte New York and Miami have direct flights to Rio).

*Washington DC have direct flights to Rio too.

i know the options. but it's like going from jfk to dallas via lax. it does not make sense.

That's simply not going to do for the 2016 Opening. I mean, it's like a herd of stampeding buffalo. All the details are obscured by the whole mob. Of course what'll end up in the 2016 Ceremonies will also depend a great deal on what 2014 World Cup producers will use for their Opening & Closing. If they use the Carnaval theme, then Rio & Birch/Ballich better look for some other fresh ideas.

i do hope that they don't do overboard with the carnival theme. it get jarring at time with all the feather in such. that's why i would like specific to get the creative team from unidos da tijuca to do the OC. last 2011, the did a movie themed parade that i personally loved. it was funny inventive and kinda breath one or two copy right laws but it was a great show.

what i'm envisioning for the RIO2016 OC is a mixture of Athens and London. a segment where a 'slum' town is transformed into the amazon with bird, trees and wild plants 'growing' from the stage and a carnival type parade showing the highlights of the history of brazil and the olympic movement.

Well that's just the ground level costumes, there are so many other textures and parts to the parade, and the samba parade is just one part of Rio and no one will want wall to wall samba for an OC (well maybe a some would but it won't happen). You know they will have all the other typical pacing and modes to the show, and if we are lucky they will invent new ideas too. But to have this history of the BIG BIG thematic parade presentations for decades will only add to Rio's possible bag of tricks. I hope there could be near-nudity in the show, it's just more natural and fun for some parts.

And I don't find it monotonous at all, the parades just build build build, it keeps me happy to the end.

And it's cool it a party and competition, fun and serious.

the Vils Isabel grass!

samba-school-Vila.jpg

(Vila) ^_^

I just watched a video of Vila Isabel's parade this year. Or at least I tried to watch the whole thing. The video's 1 & 1/2 hours long!

That was the first time I watched a Carnaval parade and it left me more confused than wowed. I watched the first 30 minutes and then skipped to random parts (and then a few minutes of some of the other parades) and to me it seemed like I was watching the same thing: cast and costume overload, mind-numbing non-stop music with little variation.

Don't get me wrong -- I did find the costumes and floats spectacular, but I was expecting something like a contest of "mini-OCs" with each parade having a more defined narrative and theme. The whole thing just felt more languid than upbeat, more chaotic than choreographed, more exhausting than uplifting.

If the Rio 2016 OC will take on a Carnaval parade approach, I fear that the whole thing would be visually nice but mind-numbing overall. Kind of like if Beijing 2008 chose an all-out ancient dynasty-to-dynasty performance theme for its OC with screeching traditional music from start to finish. If the Rio 2016 OC would go along the lines of the Carnaval, I hope the creative team would be able to direct it into a well-paced show with tight narrative and a good balance of push and pull elements.

On a side note, has the Sambadrome ever been considered as the ceremonies venue, either by the Rio bid/organizing team or people on GamesBids? It seems like a nice change of venue style for an OC with the cauldron at one end. It won't be conducive to traditional in-the-round stadium theater, but it still has lots of creative potential.

I got your point and I truly undestand your POV. I have a Dutch friend who went to the parade live and said similar things.

The parades are not easy to understand from those who are not used to them and can seem a bit chaotic really.

In the broadcast, the first 25 minutes of a School, TV shows random things about the parade and warm up the viewers.

Then they start the "tell the parade from the beginning 'til the end".

In 1997, Mangueira made a parade about the Olympics. They started showing Greek deities, Olympia and this kind of stuff, then they showed the ancient games and ancient sports. The peace when the games were held.

After this section, they showed Nero and the end of the ancient Olympics, with a lot of black floats, to symbolize the dark era, middle age.

The last section showed Baron of Coubertin and the return of the Olympics, the modern games and the final float showed Mangueira Olympic project and the logo of Rio 2004 bid.

I truly wish we could have broadcasts with English speaker commentators.

I got your point and I truly undestand your POV. I have a Dutch friend who went to the parade live and said similar things.

The parades are not easy to understand from those who are not used to them and can seem a bit chaotic really.

In the broadcast, the first 25 minutes of a School, TV shows random things about the parade and warm up the viewers.

Then they start the "tell the parade from the beginning 'til the end".

In 1997, Mangueira made a parade about the Olympics. They started showing Greek deities, Olympia and this kind of stuff, then they showed the ancient games and ancient sports. The peace when the games were held.

After this section, they showed Nero and the end of the ancient Olympics, with a lot of black floats, to symbolize the dark era, middle age.

The last section showed Baron of Coubertin and the return of the Olympics, the modern games and the final float showed Mangueira Olympic project and the logo of Rio 2004 bid.

I truly wish we could have broadcasts with English speaker commentators.

And have Ryan Seacrest cover it? Yuck, no thanks.

i know the options. but it's like going from jfk to dallas via lax. it does not make sense.

There's no market demand for direct flights to Rio from Asia, so there's no other choice but to do at least multiple connecting flights. This could change during 2014 and 2016, but given the comparatively low SEAsian spectator interest for the WC and SOG I doubt that would happen. For now the most convenient route is Beijing-Sao Paulo (Air China), or Middle East-Sao Paulo via "The Big Three" (Emirates, Qatar, Etihad) home hubs.

a segment where a 'slum' town is transformed into the amazon

I'm not sure if including poverty in the narrative would be a good idea. No host country would want to highlight such things.

Adding some info here.

The 2013 Carnaval winner Vila Isabel was led by 'carnavalesca' Rosa Magalhaes, she's the head organizer/creator. She won the Emmy Award for best Costume at the Pan Ams, and it didn't really look like a Carnaval Parade, it was very artistic and well done. I hope she's put in charge again for the Olympics . Learning that carnavalesco Paulo Barros would organize the Confederations Cup Ceremony is a complete turn off, he has very daring and innovative ideas But! I'm not a big fan of his super Choreographical approach on everything he does, and runs away from the main idea of celebration instead he likes putting on an impression show. Lets hope he won't lead the Olympic ceremonies

There's no market demand for direct flights to Rio from Asia, so there's no other choice but to do at least multiple connecting flights. This could change during 2014 and 2016, but given the comparatively low SEAsian spectator interest for the WC and SOG I doubt that would happen. For now the most convenient route is Beijing-Sao Paulo (Air China), or Middle East-Sao Paulo via "The Big Three" (Emirates, Qatar, Etihad) home hubs.

I'm not sure if including poverty in the narrative would be a good idea. No host country would want to highlight such things.

well, from what i have heard Philippine airlines is trying to get a direct manila to san paulo flight and direct a manila to uk flight ( but that's a long shoot)

london did quite tastefully what i'm think is a favela in the middle of the stadium (much like the meadow scene from london)

Well, it doesn't officially start until May, but in practice, it's never too early to start a celebration:

http://jn1.tv/video/global-eye?media_id=59625

Thanks for the link! I remember when that happened; I even showed it to my German boss. However, about this bilateral year celebrations, I still think there's a matter of being appropriate lacking in this case. Anyway, as I said, not too relevant.

well, from what i have heard Philippine airlines is trying to get a direct manila to san paulo flight and direct a manila to uk flight ( but that's a long shoot)

london did quite tastefully what i'm think is a favela in the middle of the stadium (much like the meadow scene from london)

Emirates have direct flight from Rio to Dubai... Better than go to Sao Paulo and then fly another flight to Rio.

Phillipines to Dubai to Rio sounds really Okay to me.

There's no market demand for direct flights to Rio from Asia, .

@ilustrado, JAL flies from Tokyo to Rio via Dallas or New York. So Manilans can do it in 3 legs via No. America. I mean killer flights but on the A380, should be bearable. But better to break the leg in New York or LAX and u'd have more airline choices for a direct from NYC. Or United does LAX - Houston - Rio.

But come July 2016, I am sure United and COPA/Varig will be adding more flights from No. America. It would be crazy to go to Rio via Dubai unless one has other business in Dubai. U will get better deals in the more competitive routes via No. America. Competition always foster the lowest prices.

Also:

- study the pricing and routes for 2014; for sure, the DIRECT flights into Rio will cost the most.

- consider flying into Buenos Aires. I think I will do Rio and BA in 2016. There might be a big difference in buying a R/T via BA; and then throwing in a BA - Rio -BA ticket.

Archived