Carnaval in Rio and in Brazil! Preview for Oly Ceremonies?

Nothing much to say, but lots to show:

RIO STREET PARADES

Cordão do Bola Preta (Black Ball Band - free translation), with their 2 million people in Downtown Rio!

TV report:

http://globotv.globo.com/rede-globo/rjtv-1a-edicao/v/cordao-da-bola-preta-arrasta-multidao-no-centro-do-rio/2396476/

Pics:

alm_2044.jpg

AGE20120218499.jpg

DSC08233+bola+preta+4.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SALVADOR IMPRESSIVE CARNAVAL

carnaval-salvador.jpg

carnaval_salvador_4_turismo_bahia.jpg

f_151739.jpg

Look who's around:

psy_danca_gangnam.jpg

SAO PAULO SAMBA SCHOOL PARADE

The second biggest in Brazil. Rio starts only sunday it's main parade!

TV report:

http://globotv.globo.com/rede-globo/jornal-hoje/t/edicoes/v/veja-no-jh-sete-escolas-passam-pela-avenida-na-primeira-noite-de-desfiles-em-sao-paulo/2396450/

Pics:

carnaval-2013-1024x682.jpg

f_151869.jpg

I can't imagine anyone (except Beijing) who is going to have the talent, organization and showmanship to do a cerimony like Rio!

OMFG I just can't wait!!!!! Don't be shy Rio, we want all the color and costumes you can throw at us! I just wish glittery boobs could be on show too. :(

Well, Sambadrome worked fine last year, with some few things to be fixed and arrange at that time.

For this year, we'll only know tomorrow and Sunday when main Samba School Parades will be held there.

For yesterday and tonight, only the smaller Samba Schools from the Carnaval League are making their presentations.

So far no big news about them outside Rio.

The main event is tomorrow, but I don't have any worries. If last year with few adjustments to be done everything went smoothly, this year, it will be even better.

About glittered boobs, it's up to IOC and TV rights owners to allow this.

Be sure, every single art director in Brazil would love to cast dozens of naked people in this ceremony...

But, this is not a G-Rated event and I bet lots of more "religious" societies-based country would (and will) complain a lot of carnaval costumes show so much skin.

Saw a documentary on a cable channel a few nights ago about the "samba" schools of Sao Paulo; and they focused on one particular one...the Camisa Verdera (Green & WHite one). Didn't finish it, was too sleepy...but interesting.

One thing with featuring a recreation of the Carnavale and the Samba schools in the Opening. They move so slowly because of the sheer bulk and size, that the networks will be tempted to cut away and interview their athletes because the pacing of the spectacle becomes mindless mush. So that's the main danger that I see if Birch & Ballich do not have a strong enough narrative that has to move at a fast clip. Notice that Zhang Yimou's show for Beijing moved at a steady and interesting pace.

@baron-pierreIV: "One thing with featuring a recreation of the Carnavale and the Samba schools in the Opening. They move so slowly because of the sheer bulk and size, that the networks will be tempted to cut away and interview their athletes because the pacing of the spectacle becomes mindless mush."

Rio's creative supervisor Abel Gomes has a background in Globo TV. I wonder if the handover in London reflected this- its pacing was, if anything, too hyperactive.

@baron-pierreIV: "One thing with featuring a recreation of the Carnavale and the Samba schools in the Opening. They move so slowly because of the sheer bulk and size, that the networks will be tempted to cut away and interview their athletes because the pacing of the spectacle becomes mindless mush."

Rio's creative supervisor Abel Gomes has a background in Globo TV. I wonder if the handover in London reflected this- its pacing was, if anything, too hyperactive.

@Mark....I don't know if one can really judge by the Handover segment. Remember they have only 8 minutes to showcase their portion; and at most, it gets a one-time rehearsal on the actual stage, if at all. So even its TV coverage might've been on the fly.

Saw a documentary on a cable channel a few nights ago about the "samba" schools of Sao Paulo; and they focused on one particular one...the Camisa Verdera (Green & WHite one). Didn't finish it, was too sleepy...but interesting.

One thing with featuring a recreation of the Carnavale and the Samba schools in the Opening. They move so slowly because of the sheer bulk and size, that the networks will be tempted to cut away and interview their athletes because the pacing of the spectacle becomes mindless mush. So that's the main danger that I see if Birch & Ballich do not have a strong enough narrative that has to move at a fast clip. Notice that Zhang Yimou's show for Beijing moved at a steady and interesting pace.

In the PanAms, things were much more fast than in Sambadrome. I think the spirit, costume and floats will be there in 2016 Oly OC, but, the pace will be "Olympic-like"

Rio's main event started already, some few pics of the spectacle!!!

Unidos da Tijuca's "Space Ship float"

tijuca_edit01-7.jpg

Salgueiro's "Masks ball float"

salgueiro_editado2-17.jpg

Salgueiro's "Master of the Room and 'Flag bearer'" representing celebrity and his security.

Salgueiro is presenting a parade about "Fame".

salgueiro_editado-24-1.jpg

The amazing US$ 100,000 (hundred thousand dollars) costume of Salgueiro's Drummer's Queen!!!

All made with Svarowsky cristals!!!

salgueiroduraodsc_6360.jpg

Will Smith celebrating Carnaval in Rio this year

img_1475.jpg

JULIANA PAES!!!!!!!!!!!

She is pregnant and not join the samba schools, but only watching it from the stands.

ju.jpg

One of the sambistas from Unidos da Tijuca

patricia-shelida.jpg

The hundred-thousand-dollar costume from Unidos da Tijuca on video footage:

http://globotv.globo.com/rede-globo/carnaval-2013/v/viviane-araujo-diz-como-e-ser-a-rainha-de-bateria-do-salgueiro/2398623/

More: http://globotv.globo.com/rede-globo/carnaval-2013/v/viviane-araujo-e-a-rainha-de-bateria-do-salgueiro/2398654/

? for Danny: What do all these samba schools & participants do with all these costumes and giant floats and props after Carnavale? I mean, I'm sure they couldn't take them to their homes in the favelas. So, just recycle the materials for the following year??

Obrigado for the update on Juliana Paes. But she will still have to entertain me when I come there in 3 years!!

Of course yesterday night was the Grammys so it was
impossible to watch the first night of the big schools. I’m finding it hard to
find comprehensive photographic coverage of the Special Groups presentation. I’m
fascinated and inspired by the color combination and use and I want to study it
in more detail.

I wish Globo would offer English translation. They also have

a very edited selection of images, and not so many overview shots. If anyone knows
the BEST place for comprehensive images of the parade please post it.

The samba school Unidos da Tijuca selected "Germany" as its theme this year, due the German year starts in Brazil right now.

Unidos da Tijuca in the German news (video)

By the way every year Cologne (that is one of the major Carnival cities in Germany select a motto for its Carnival - this year's motto is:

"Fastelovend em blot - he un am Zuckerhot (Carnival in blood - here and at the Sugarloaf)"

Some pics from Cologne

08_m.jpg

Christo, the Redeemer - in one hand a beer and in the other hand a "Tanzmariechen" (which is a figure of the Cologne carnival) - the logo of the Cologne Carnival with the coat of arms of Rio on the float

10_m.jpg

Samba in Cologne

? for Danny: What do all these samba schools & participants do with all these costumes and giant floats and props after Carnavale? I mean, I'm sure they couldn't take them to their homes in the favelas. So, just recycle the materials for the following year??

Obrigado for the update on Juliana Paes. But she will still have to entertain me when I come there in 3 years!!

Hey Baron!

Not all sambers are from favelas, actually, the number changes from school to school, but in a general way, it's 50% people from the community Samba School is located, 50% people who pay for the costumes.

Generally. the 'ordinary' costumes always costs the value of 2, since the "guests" pays for his/her own costume and a costume for a person from the community. This is not a rule, but most of the cases.

Those who are in the top of the floats, pays HUGE AMOUNT of money to be there with more expensive and luxurious costumes. The top of float costumes and the right to be there can cost up to US$ 100,000!!!

And in the end of parade, the costume is yours, no matter if you are from the community, paying for stay there or if you are invited (some celebrities are invited to join for free).

As you can see, Carnaval is a big business, and now-a-days moves hundreds of millions of dollars. This only in the main group of Rio... There are smaller parades all around Brazil...

BTW, to have a Samba School costume at home, is like to have a trophy for those who care about Carnaval and Samba School parades.

So, no, the costumes usually are not recycled.

Of course yesterday night was the Grammys so it was

impossible to watch the first night of the big schools. I’m finding it hard to

find comprehensive photographic coverage of the Special Groups presentation. I’m

fascinated and inspired by the color combination and use and I want to study it

in more detail.

I wish Globo would offer English translation. They also have

a very edited selection of images, and not so many overview shots. If anyone knows

the BEST place for comprehensive images of the parade please post it.

Globo is amazing for some things and stupid for other.

I'm sure live broadcasting of Carnaval would be a success in some other countries, in smaller broadcasters.

But, somehow, it's not an easy thing to broadcast internationally with a pool of international broadcaster, like the Oscar or a Sports Event.

Carnaval parades in Rio can last for up to 10 hours... It cost a lot of money in satellites. Maybe the cost/benefit is not yet good to try some adventure like that.

Anyway, I wish Globo could have the broadcast live on the internet.

Some of you maybe does not know, but Rio Samba School parade is a tournament between the Samba Schools.

All of them must show a theme. For example, the "army of books" pictures was shown because the theme of the parade was a very famous poet from Rio, who helped to compose "The Girl of Ipanema" and also wrote a lot of books, indeed, Kids books.

Unidos da Tijuca's theme was Germany, Inocentes presented South Korea, Beija-Flor talked abou the relation of the man and the horse (amazing parade, must be said).

I wish you guys could watch an entire Samba School parade, with all elements: (Baianas "spin dancers" group, Master of Room and Flag Bearer presentation, the floats, the "Opening Floats"). You would be amazed, for sure.

More pics

Look at all of those details in the "Eldorado Float"!!!

2013-02-12t034642z_19845472.jpg

A dragon to open Beija-Flor parade

beijaflor_edit01-13.jpg

The trojan horse

cavalo-e-papel.jpg

Mangueira's sambista

musa-cheinha.jpg

Baianas, or in a free translation, the spin dancers

saoclemente6.jpg

STREET PARADES IN RIO

"Simpathy is almost love" (LOL) band in Ipanema...

simpatiafernandmaioariotur.jpg

More than 150,000 people in Ipanema Beach

dsc01707.jpg

dsc01710.jpg

Yeah, a 25 meter tall Oil Rig float!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The theme is "The Oil Royalties" a ironic critic to the political problem of the share of the oil royalties in Brazil.

And, of course, a chance to claim the royalties to Rio, the biggest producer in the country.

I live few blocks away from Santos sambadrome (less than 2 Km away), and the carnaval in Santos can not be compared to Rio's one.

The floats are really smaller compared to Rio and Sao Paulo.

The very float in this accident is not bigger than 3 or 4 meters high, compared to 20, 25 meters in Rio...

The problem was, AFTER THE PARADE, the float had a blowed tire and moved without control and hitted a light/energy post. The structure of the floats are made of metal and people trying to push the float died with the electric shock.

Also, the fire started in the foam and other material of the float and injured some people around.

Sad development for Santos.

Really sad, the carnaval in Santos is small, but very beautiful. In the mid-20th century, Santos had the second biggest Samba School parade in Brazil, only behind Rio.

It seems some of the floats can be over-ambitious. I just saw this report of a serious fire at Santos:

http://g1.globo.com/sp/santos-regiao/carnaval/2013/noticia/2013/02/incendio-em-carro-alegorico-de-santos-deixa-mortos-dizem-bombeiros.html

Update: 4 people died and 10 are injured.

Archived