Sochi 2014 Olympic Media Updates

DamC

The thing about that.. American television viewers, as a whole, are in fact a very ignorant bunch. That's what networks in the United States tend to play to the lowest common denominator, rather than somewhere like England or Canada. The thing with the Opening Ceremony in a country of 300 million+ people is that there's no right way to play it. If it's too serious, people will complain. If it's not serious enough, people will complain. It's next to impossible to find that perfect balance that satisfies both sides.

If they only consulted with me...

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting this. Always good to have a read through. Sky Television in New Zealand are running adverts, but that's about it! A bit poor really

Looks like Sky NZ will have 4 pop up channels for Sochi, so not too bad.

Also see Hayley Holt (obviously) and Scott Stevenson are being used on the promo ads.

Always enjoyed listening to Lavina Good and Steven McIvor doing the ceremonies commentary, one of the better combos since PJ, Quinny and Telf from Atlanta. Not sure if they'll be over there. To be honest, not entirely sure how Steven McIvor is after his fight for life *brain issues*.

4 channels will be pretty good. Do you know if Prime TV are having any coverage?

Agree that Good and McIvor are not too bad but I certainly really enjoyed PJ, Quinny and Telf from Atlanta. They were excellent. Telf was always such an excellent Athletics commentator. Better than that cat they used in London. Cant remember his name but he was awful!

learn to shut them out. Or just go with the carrier who's your same vibe. Not much complexity about that, is there??

But they even talk over people singing, and over stadium announcements which would probably provide context much more effectively than they ever could.

I'm hoping the BBC will again offer a no-commentary Red Button or second channel option.

Japanese broadcaster NHK has secured the broadcast rights in Japan for the 2014 and 2016 Paralympic Games.

It is the latest major broadcast rights contract secured by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), following agreements last year with NBC in the United States and Channel 4 in the United Kingdom, and comes just weeks before the 2014 winter Paralympics in Sochi.

Public broadcaster NHK will broadcast 29 hours of coverage from Sochi and 46 hours from Rio 2016, via its General TV and Educational TV channels. It will broadcast the opening ceremonies and daily highlights on its terrestrial television service.

NHK has sub-licensed some rights to satellite pay broadcaster Sky Perfect JSAT, which will show over 200 hours of coverage from Sochi, including 70 hours live, and intends to create a free-to-air 24-hour Paralympic channel

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/nhk_to_broadcast_2014_and_2016_paralympics_in_japan/

CBC ANNOUNCES BROADCAST PLANS FOR THE SOCHI 2014 OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES STARTING FEBRUARY 6 ON CBC

CBC partners with TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet, and Sportsnet ONE on the largest Olympic Winter Games ever mounted, bringing Canadians a total of 1,519 hours of Olympic coverage, a new CBC record

So basically, this is the same (if not better) level of coverage than Canadians received in 2010 and 2012, with CBC at the helm instead of CTV. Very, very jealous.

BBC full press pack launched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/sochi2014/

I'm enjoying the snowy presenter photos!

Also can't wait to see the whole Charles dance trailer when it airs in full! Winter is coming!

So basically, this is the same (if not better) level of coverage than Canadians received in 2010 and 2012, with CBC at the helm instead of CTV. Very, very jealous.

That makes 2 of us. Think I need to find myself a Canadian VPN between now and the start of February. Must be nice to live in a country where there's virtually nothing else of importance going on those 2 1/2 weeks and the country's main network plus most of its main sports cable networks have nothing else to worry about.

Rob you are so right! It's barely worth them putting that out, but its a great concept and I'm sure the finished trailer and titles will be very good! I was a bit gutted in vancouver when we lost the ski Sunday theme but the vancouver theme turned out to be excellent, and I think it gives each games more of an identity having something different.

OOOh just saw the teaser on BBC2, the trial sounds like a great concept, roll on Sherlock so we can see it in all its glory

I saw that teaser on BBC2 here in London, England as well.

That makes 2 of us. Think I need to find myself a Canadian VPN between now and the start of February. Must be nice to live in a country where there's virtually nothing else of importance going on those 2 1/2 weeks and the country's main network plus most of its main sports cable networks have nothing else to worry about.

Well, when NHL is off, I'd guess most of the Canadian sports networks really are at a loss for programming, I'm not aware of much interest in NCAA sports up there, I know NBA is known but I don't know how much popularity it has.

Both the Nba and Ncaa do well in Canada in terms of ratings plus there is the Canadian Hockey League which Sportsnet owns the rights to and it does well then we have the National Lacrosse League that Tsn has the rights to but what does really well is the Epl and even tennis really has picked up in the last few years ratings wise so lack of content is really not a issue.

Yeah, well that wasn't quite the case in Sydney when our most famous prime minister Pierre Trudeau died during the Games.

Me three! My only complaint, if you can all it that, lies in that the multilingual channels involved back in Vancouver are not in it this time--OMNI, APTN, and ATN. Josh, aka CanadianSports, says that APTN and its Aboriginal viewers would have greater interest in the winter sports rather than the summer ones. But I also believe what got those networks involved back then was the last Winter Olympics were held in Canada, wishing to take full advantage of that, and that Rogers owns OMNI and the others are independent of the Canadian media behemoths Bell Media and Rogers Media. After all, OMNI is known to show some hockey in Toronto called in Punjabi. Those channels are emblematic of how Canada likes to promote its rapid mosaic multiculturalism in its society, and I liked that in how it applied to the Olympics. Wished they were board for this. Right now though, OMNI just suffered some cutbacks from Rogers in the last year that even saw the shutting down its South Asian news, an important part of its Canadian demographics, and ending its local news content and programming productions from the Alberta portion. We would've heard something about those networks getting involved by now.

If only NBC's networks were that committed to showing the Olympics like that of CBC's consortium. Starting things at 5am US/Canada CST on the 7th with plenty of hours nonstop unlike NBC. When I read that press release, it's very comparable like what the CTV-led Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium did for Vancouver. Surely, the CBC learned a lot from observing what CTV did and have second screens. Maybe NBC ought to employ some of those things too while showing everything on TV in the future, like offering different camera angles at the venues for online and mobile viewing. You're likely right, GoNutz. There will still be some junior hockey but Canada's anchor winter sports programming that is the NHL will be off, making its absence more than keenly felt on Canadian sports TV. Yes, there will be some Toronto Blue Jays spring training coverage on Sportsnet but not potent enough to overtake the winter sports. The NBA, for its share passionate Canadian fans, is not big enough but will be largely left alone if not minimized. Never mind there's a rising boom in Canadian basketball now in various levels like with Andrew Wiggins at Kansas, the NBL Canada, culminating with an exciting and dynamic young batch of Canadian basketball players in both the men and women. There's still EPL, other global soccer leagues, NLL, and some tennis and golf because those networks know not every Canadian likes the Olympics rammed down their throats.

Sweden's Viasat OS website just got itself a makeover a month prior to the start of Sochi. Its Olympic viewing guide for the Viasat Sport channels, TV3, and TV10 is slated for sometime between late January and early February.

Kobukuro will release their new single "Ima, Sakihokoru Hanatachi yo", the NHK Sochi 2014 theme song, on February 19

http://www.tokyohive.com/article/2014/01/kobukuro-to-release-nhk-sochi-olympics-theme-song

Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen's Sochi 2014 webpages

http://www.srf.ch/sport/sotschi-2014

SF already announced its crew for Sochi. Steffi Buchli and Jann Billeter are the studio hosts back in Zurich at SF's studios. Matthias Hüppi and Bernhard Russi will cover men's alpine skiing. Stefan Hofmänner and Michael Bont will call the women's version. Bernard Thurnheer and Luzia Ebnöther will be there for the curling action. Rainer Maria Salzgeber and Paddy Kälin will be over at the House of Switzerland in Sochi covering the live action. Thurnheer will also appear as SF's Opening Ceremony co-hosts with Peter Gysling. Lukas Studer does the skicross. Stefan Bürer does the ice hockey. Claudia Moor will be the resident figure skating and short track venue sportscaster. Markus Tschirren shares the speed skating duties with Martin Feigenwinter. Sascha Ruefer goes triple duty with the cross country, biathlon, and ski jumping. Patrick Schmid & Adriano Iseppi will do cross country skiing. Michael Stäuble gets involved with the ski jumping nordic combined. Herbert Zimmermann & Matthias Simmen are at the biathlon. Dani Kern and Gian Simmen get to cover the snowboarding and all the freestyle skiing. Claude Jaggi and Christian Reich get assigned for the triple duty of bobsledding, luge, and skeleton racing. SF Radio 3 Morgen-Show live aus Sotchi Olympic hosts are Caroline Lüchinger and Christoph Sterchi.

http://www.srf.ch/sport/sotschi-2014/die-srf-kommentatoren-in-sotschi-2

Yeah, well that wasn't quite the case in Sydney when our most famous prime minister Pierre Trudeau died during the Games.

Lot of that Sydney coverage went over to TSN and RDS because of Trudeau's death.

CBC's English language Sochi 2014 press kit that was released for public consumption on the 100-day mark after the first unvieling of its coverage plans in Toronto:

http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/images/PressKit_final.pdf

Surely we would like to discover the French coverage version with Radio-Canada Television, TVA Sports, RDS, Explora, and ARTV. Maybe that's coming from Montreal later today with the English one already up and the amount of coverage tabulated.

There were some Canadians really upset durring the Vancouver games saying all thats on is the Olympics now this time it could be worse as if i understand it right they want air 1500 hours that will be bad enough for some but while Ctv/Ctv2/City/Global won't be part of the Olympics however they get most of there shows from the nets in the States i would assume most shows would take the 2 weeks off.

Lot of that Sydney coverage went over to TSN and RDS because of Trudeau's death.

CBC's English language Sochi 2014 press kit that was released for public consumption on the 100-day mark after the first unvieling of its coverage plans in Toronto:

http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/images/PressKit_final.pdf

Surely we would like to discover the French coverage version with Radio-Canada Television, TVA Sports, RDS, Explora, and ARTV. Maybe that's coming from Montreal later today with the English one already up and the amount of coverage tabulated.

I am really excited to see the plans for Tva/Radio-Canada.

I was in college at the time and had CBC then, so I remember that one. That was a national news event though, not something that was scheduled in advance, so no real surprise there.

Both the Nba and Ncaa do well in Canada in terms of ratings plus there is the Canadian Hockey League which Sportsnet owns the rights to and it does well then we have the National Lacrosse League that Tsn has the rights to but what does really well is the Epl and even tennis really has picked up in the last few years ratings wise so lack of content is really not a issue.

True, but listen to how many of those events are imported from other countries? So of course those can be swept aside for an Olympics full of Canadians. If the something like the EPL is going to keep going during the Olympics, that might be an issue in England, not so much in Canada though.

If only NBC's networks were that committed to showing the Olympics like that of CBC's consortium. Starting things at 5am US/Canada CST on the 7th with plenty of hours nonstop unlike NBC. When I read that press release, it's very comparable like what the CTV-led Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium did for Vancouver. Surely, the CBC learned a lot from observing what CTV did and have second screens. Maybe NBC ought to employ some of those things too while showing everything on TV in the future, like offering different camera angles at the venues for online and mobile viewing. You're likely right, GoNutz. There will still be some junior hockey but Canada's anchor winter sports programming that is the NHL will be off, making its absence more than keenly felt on Canadian sports TV. Yes, there will be some Toronto Blue Jays spring training coverage on Sportsnet but not potent enough to overtake the winter sports. The NBA, for its share passionate Canadian fans, is not big enough but will be largely left alone if not minimized. Never mind there's a rising boom in Canadian basketball now in various levels like with Andrew Wiggins at Kansas, the NBL Canada, culminating with an exciting and dynamic young batch of Canadian basketball players in both the men and women. There's still EPL, other global soccer leagues, NLL, and some tennis and golf because those networks know not every Canadian likes the Olympics rammed down their throats.

Can't be done. There's more than 300 million people in the United States, a lot of whom have little to no interest in the Olympics. If a network, be it NBC (or one of the other broadcast networks) or a sports network like NBCSN were to turn over virtually their entire programming day to the Olympics, they'd lose a lot of viewers who would head elsewhere. And these days in the United States, there are a lot of elsewheres for sports fans to turn. Bottom line is that there are a much higher percentage of Canadians who will be thinking nothing but Olympics when it comes to sports in February than there are Americans. And even NBCSN has other programming commitments, including a bunch of college basketball and hockey games that they will be showing in February. That's just hte reality of television in the United States that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the business side of things that makes things completely different here than anywhere else.

I already know it couldn't be done here statesside with NBC for all the factors you have mentioned earlier in this thread, not the least of which our diverse TV viewing interests and heavily-favoring towards the business aspects. Our diversity can be a double-edged sword at times for hardcore Olympic fans who are jealous of Canada's upcoming coverage. No doubt there are many sports programming going on outside of the Olympics--and more casual American Olympic fans than hardcore ones who don't necessarily want to be overwhelmed by the Olympics. Plus there are some important programming like NBC Today that can't be bumped from the NBC Olympic TV schedule and will be integrated. But thanks to the Internet streams, it is never as much of a factor now that we actually have an alternative viewing outlet.

Slovakia's TVS unvieled its ZOH 2014 TV guide late December, which I think is going to be on TV2 (will check later), that will start on Friday February 7 with Studio 2014 30 minutes before the Opening Ceremony. Won't have the hockey there; that's designated for Nova TV, which unlike the Czech version (more on that later), did not sell the rights away to that sport in Slovakia. Will be interspersed with Slovakia's Fed Cup tennis, Good Angels Kosice women's basketball, and UEFA Champions League at times.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sk&u=http://www.trnavskyhlas.sk/c/12091-rtvs-zverejnila-sportovy-program-v-televizii-pocas-olympiady.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Drtvs.sk%2Bzoh%2B2014%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D702

Based on the upcoming live streaming events from the French Belgian coverage out of RTBF, this could very well be from RTBF's Live Center what the French language Sochi TV broadcast is composed of with no surprise of focusing on the Belgian Olympians. Funny, it starts on the 6th with snowboarder Seppe Smit. Perhaps it could be RTBF's La Deux handling the TV part. Not a lot of promotion apparently from the French part compared to the Flemish; wondered out loud would RTBF actually cover the Winter Olympics

http://www.rtbf.be/livecenter/?category=81

YLE's Finland Sochi 2014 Olympic hockey TV schedule for Sochi:

http://yle.fi/urheilu/nain_leijonat_pelaa_sotshissa__katso_lahetysajat/7016262

Confirmation that NBC will premiere its new comedy "About a Boy" at 10:30pm Eastern on Friday, February 21st, thus cutting primetime to 2.5 hours that night:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/01/10/nbc-sets-premiere-dates-for-about-a-boy-growing-up-fisher-believe-crisis-more/228397/

Excluding the primetime repeats, NBC will have 124 hours of coverage during the Olympics. That's down quite a bit from 2010. Since a decent amount of the coverage on NBC will actually be edited repeats of the live NBCSN coverage, the number of original hours on NBC is probably quite a bit less than 100.

Archived