Sochi 2014 Olympic Media Updates

DamC

I gotta know about how Ten did the last Winter Olympics. Of course, Australia wasn't winning Winter Olympic medals yet and was a few years away from that. I presume since it hadn't yet got the Olympic pedigree there medal-wise, So did it focus on winter sports with mass appeal like figure skating and ice hockey and skiing while showcasing the Aussie Olympians? It had to been no higher than 80 hours of programming back then. More like 62. Back then, Ten really was "Australia's Olympic Network" back in the 1980s save for 7's appearances for Moscow, Lake Placid, and Sarajevo. Nine did Calgary.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[sarcasm] Wait a sec.. do you mean to tell me that people actually complain about Olympic TV coverage in places other than the United States? And that NBC isn't the only network that shows commercials or time-shifts Olympic events? My goodness, what an amazing revelation this is!![/sarcasm]

I've read a few times that Aussies time to have somre of the same nitpicks with Olympic coverage as we have here in the States. Obviously not on the same level as NBC, but then again the United States has about 14 times the population that Australia does. And it's the same rhetoric we get all the time here that NBC needs to go and any network would be better. I guarantee if ESPN had come in and taken over for Sochi, people would be asking for NBC to come back. It's a no-win situation. The Olympics are the type of event where you can rarely please everyone, so you'll always have those voicing their displeasure.

Well before we give NBC the benefit of the doubt let's just note that although they may not show every event live at least they do show the games live, while NBC is pretty much the only broadcaster in the developed (and not so developed) world to still air the entire day on a time delay if it isn't in their time zone.

Well before we give NBC the benefit of the doubt let's just note that although they may not show every event live at least they do show the games live, while NBC is pretty much the only broadcaster in the developed (and not so developed) world to still air the entire day on a time delay if it isn't in their time zone.

What benefit of the doubt are we or aren't we giving NBC? I'm merely pointing out that there are Olympic viewers in another country lodging some of the same complaints that we always hear with NBC (and again, not the first time I've heard that coming from Aussies) when many of those people seem to think that only NBC shows a lot of commercials and no one other than NBC would dare to time-shift an event. Clearly that's not the case.

And what exactly do you mean by "still air the entire day on a time delay"? Please tell me that you're exaggerating that for effect and don't actually think that NBC airs "the entire day on a time delay." Do we need to go over the list of events that were shown LIVE on NBC's television networks, the majority of that not actually being delayed to the West coast? You know better than that. NBC deserves some grief for certain things, but the gap between them and other Olympic broadcasters is a lot smaller than most people think. And much as trying out different networks broadcasting the Olympics hasn't led to an improvement in Australia, it's not like there's a better option out there than NBC in the United States. It might be a sad state of affairs, but I don't think we can do better than NBC in the realm of reality.

Dear all,

My name is Martijn Marinus, and currently I am doing an internship at Infostrada Sports.

Infostrada Sports, the leading full service sports and media company, offers innovative and unique services to the sports industry. Infostrada Sports is active in producing, distributing, publishing and monetising sports data and video content across multiple platforms – and consults its partners on how to get the most value out of their rights and sports content. Infostrada Sports was contracted to deliver consulting and planning for the operation of the Olympic News Service (ONS) for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, as well as to assist with sourcing staff, and training of volunteers. This is what they will be doing till the Olympics of 2020.

At this moment, I am researching the feasibility for Infostrada Sports to produce an app for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. This will make it a lot easier to follow the games and we will be up to date everywhere we are. In this research, I am asking for your help by filling out a questionnaire, which will only take about 3 to 5 minutes. I would be most grateful for a few minutes of your time. By entirely filling out this survey you will receive a reward from The Infostrada Sports Group. Feel free to respond to the survey, or ask any questions. Thank you in advance.

Below you will find the link:

http://www.thesistools.com/web/?id=345722

Kind regards,
Martijn Marinus

NBC Projects $800M Advertising Haul for 2014 Winter Olympics

NBC Universal is projecting an $800 million-plus advertising haul for the 2014 Winter Olympics, said Seth Winter, exec VP-sales and marketing for NBC Sports Group. But that record projection for winter games coverage might have to count out traditional sponsor Anheuser-Busch InBev, which has indicated it can better connect with consumers through non-traditional means.

The advertising windfall for the games, to be held in Sochi, Russia, would eclipse the record $700 million-plus that NBC collected for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. (The record for the summer Olympics was set by the London 2012 Olympic Games, which drew over $1 billion in ad sales, according to Mr. Winter.)

I've been very impressed so far with NBC's promotional efforts for Sochi. Since the one-year mark back in February, NBC has been promoting the Games pretty heavily during broadcasts for their other sports properties, and I've even seen some commercials during primetime. That's much more than NBC did to promote the last two Winter Games, and they've even done more to promote Sochi at this point than they did for London.

I know the conventional wisdom has been that Sochi would be a rough Olympics for NBC, but if NBC can capitalize on curiosity about Russia and (with any luck) a strong performance by top U.S. athletes, I think they have a chance to at least match the Vancouver ratings. Broadcast television is doing so poorly right now that even if the other networks run their best programming against the Olympics, they're unlikely to make much of a dent in NBC's ratings.

• 2 weeks later...

After being "inconsolable" with losing the Canadian TV rights to Vancouver and London to the Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consoptium, the CBC outlines its planned coverage of Sochi 2014. Gonna be 24/7 nothing but Sochi on CBC as it promises. With every event live and on-demand and learned how to take advantage of social media from them to its benefit, already done with Hockey Night In Canada. We still don't know how

Scott Russell, Ron MacLean, Diana Swain and Heather Hiscox will be the faces of the 2014 Olympics on CBC. Russell, in his 11th Olympics, will likely host the daytime Olympic programming. MacLean more than likely has the primetime honors. Swain will anchor Olympic coverage, possibly late night. Hiscox will cover Olympic news live from Sochi on CBC News Network.

Now we still don't how everything exactly will get distributed with CBC, TSN, Rogers Sportsnet, RDS, Radio Canada, and TVA Sports, to say nothing about the multilingual networks yet. I would like to think Brian Williams will be involved somehow through TSN--he did involve himself with last year's CFL Grey Cup in Toronto on its live broadcast more as host (like in the halftime) since CTV and TSN are part of Bell Media. So I could project him to be a part of TSN's Olympic Primetime coverage, unless proven otherwise. Also, the ceremonies and the men's gold medal hockey game definitely could get simulcasted like with Vancouver and London.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/amateur/2013/05/22/cbc_promises_247_coverage_of_2014_sochi_olympics.html

Glad CBC is back. The style that CTV used rubed me the wrong way for some reason, and CBC does way more to promote amateur sports than any other network.

Otherwise the extra coverage should be more or less the same with TSN and Sportsnet also in the mix. Hopefully TSN2 and Sportsnet One will also cover some hours.

But overall I am not worried at all. CBC will do a great job.

I gotta know about how Ten did the last Winter Olympics. Of course, Australia wasn't winning Winter Olympic medals yet and was a few years away from that. I presume since it hadn't yet got the Olympic pedigree there medal-wise, So did it focus on winter sports with mass appeal like figure skating and ice hockey and skiing while showcasing the Aussie Olympians? It had to been no higher than 80 hours of programming back then. More like 62. Back then, Ten really was "Australia's Olympic Network" back in the 1980s save for 7's appearances for Moscow, Lake Placid, and Sarajevo. Nine did Calgary.

I've noticed this week that Ten's already using the Olympic Rings in all its on-air watermarks.

Glad CBC is back. The style that CTV used rubed me the wrong way for some reason, and CBC does way more to promote amateur sports than any other network.

Otherwise the extra coverage should be more or less the same with TSN and Sportsnet also in the mix. Hopefully TSN2 and Sportsnet One will also cover some hours.

But overall I am not worried at all. CBC will do a great job.

Thank god they will put every minute of every competition on their website/channel.

Yet to pop up on You Tube of any Ten programming featuring the Olympic rings with the Ten logo, but surely the Ten's Sochi 2014 promos will appear soon enough. This is actually Ten's Winter Olympic debut in broadcasting, so it is something different there as far as the three major Australian commercial FTA networks are concerned. Have the following report from Ten News Sydney on this development. Does acknowledge its last Olympics 25 years ago in Seoul though. But don't they know the actual Sochi 2014 logo is already accessible to have by now?

I too seriously think the CBC will do an excellent job on the Olympic coverage for Sochi and Rio, which we all know they do it great for years with its longstanding commitment to sports that aren't big constantly to Canadians--the amateur sports. The Sochi 2014 Olympic TV programming structure in Canada should be pretty similar with TSN and Rogers Sportsnet in Vancouver, albeit with CBC having some more exclusivity on certain sports to cover in full. Surely this new Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium led by CBC took some notes on how CTV did this in some ways, improve on others, and got insights from TSN/RDS and Sportsnet in this. I too would like to see TSN2, Sportsnet ONE, RDS, and RDS2 get involved for this fully with the already announced TVA Sports to even things out with both languages. Last time the CBC did the Olympics with Beijing, it had 12 CBC Sports Internet channels of live coverage to cover sports that didn't get the broadcasting love from CBC, Radio-Canada, TSN, and RDS along with their live broadcasting of events they all covered. It can very well be like that again in terms of amount of channels. If possible, I would like to see them to employ a greater range of sportscasters and analysts for all sports, at least for English and French, which would be especially more true with Rio De Janeiro as there were in the French realm with, for example, Claudine Douville doing three sports from London on a monitor in RDS' Montreal studio. Hopefully, that won't be case then. I do expect that the French-Canadian sportscasters will be for the most part holed in Montreal, all with Radio-Canada, RDS, and TVA. Online for the streaming, Canadians should have the option of having at least either English and French on their choice of events live and on-demand. CBC-Radio Canada gotta have some space for daily news like CBC National News, local news, The National, and Telejournal though; the Olympics can't be all 24/7 for the CBC and Radio-Canada.

Netflix for Canadian Olympic consumption for Sochi and Rio De Janeiro? Very interesting. Would work very well for comprehensive highlights footage, if not on demand or live events, when done right. Wonder will NBC will do likewise.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/cbc-aims-to-divide-pie-for-coming-olympic-games/article4481556/

Yet to pop up on You Tube of any Ten programming featuring the Olympic rings with the Ten logo,

Pity - I had a look too, but couldn't find any clips. But as i mentioned a few posts ago, all the channe'ls watermarks feature the rings and the name Sochi now.

Pity - I had a look too, but couldn't find any clips. But as i mentioned a few posts ago, all the channe'ls watermarks feature the rings and the name Sochi now.

NBC had the same during their coverage of the Diamond League meet in New York last week.

Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games to be released this year:

So, Sochi will have its rendition of the series after the fun and addicting Vancouver edition. The interesting part is that the look of these video games - both Vancouver's and London's - indeed matched the real look of the games staged months after the release of the video game.

And the Polish Olympic TV rights goes to TVP, TV Polska. It's going all out on that with TVP1, TVP2 (180 hours), TVP Sport (350 hours), TVP Info (16 hours) with coverage largely going from 9am-8pm Polish time with emphasis on the Polish Winter Olympians in Sochi like ski jumping, speed skating, cross country skiing, and biathlon. There will be plenty of support programs (eg, "Hello, this is Sochi"), summaries of the day's events and many others, and sports programming ("Sport", "Sport-Telegram", "Sports Night", "Sports Sunday" and services on TV Info) will be devoted to the Olympic winter only. TVP will send a 30-person staff to Sochi with four teams of reporters and staff that will feature the likes of former Polish Olympians including Adam Malysz, Mariusz Czerkawski, Jagna Marczułajtis, Erwin Lynx-Ferens, and Odilia Jędrzejczak. With specific Internet channels for each event on its special website soczi2014.tvp.pl, there will be 700 live hours of footage from Sochi, Russia with an additional 1000 hours with lots of interactivity, info, art gallery, and the like. Hybrid TVP will take care of the VOD platform as well there will be great social media activity at TVP's website, and on its Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter pages.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://media2.pl/l/n/102684&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://media2.pl/media/102684-Igrzyska-olimpijskie-2014-i-2016-na-zywo-tylko-w-TVP.htmlpublisher%253DMedia2.pl%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D856

Here's how Norway's TV2 will cover the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics in its first Olympics since Salt Lake City 2002: It will send somewhere between 120-150 employees to Sochi in the Russian Black Sea with daily broadcasting from 6am-10pm Norway time on TV2 and a specific 24-hour Olympic News Channel. Smartphones and tablets will definitely be included as TV2 plans to go through all platforms in TV, Internet, portable media, and radio. Several commentators are already named for the sports on the TV2 roster. Look for multiple Olympic Internet channels like NRK did. Also, it is addressing the growing issue of dealing with commercial breaks during Olympic competition as a commercial private network unlike NRK.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=no&u=http://www.tv2.no/sport/ovrig/vinter-ol/2014/ett-aar-til-sotsji-slik-blir-ol-paa-tv-2-3982558.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtv2%2Bnorge%2Bol%2B2014%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D856

I wonder will RTE do something comprehensive, even if it's just daily highlights for the Winter Olympics. Historically, it has done next to nothing as far as that is concerned.

Visa's "Go World" campaign is coming back. CBC/Radio-Canada and Visa announce their partnership for the CBC's Sochi 2014 telecast, CBC's first for these Olympics.

http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/cbcradiocanada-and-visa-canada-announce-their-partnership-for-the-sochi-2014-olympic-winter-games.html

The Arab States Broadcasting Union acquired the free-to-air TV, subscription TV, Internet, and mobile media 2014-2016 Olympic rights for the following nations: Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen. Under the terms, the ASBU and its members must produce 52 minutes of daily primetime highlights for Sochi on FTA TV (for Rio, they must produce a minimum of 200 hours of coverage). Since the Arab states lack a Winter Olympics pedigree that even Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa can surpass, makes sense this will be largely highlights for them on FTA TV unless the likes of OSN and GEM Sports goes far more comprehensive and the IOC handles the Olympics online through those nations. Surely the free-to-air channels there will cover the ceremonies in full.

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/media/news/36755/

Israel's The Sports Channel, aka Sport 5, buys the Israeli 2014-2016 Olympic broadcasting rights free-to-air, pay TV, pay-per-view TV, video-on-demand TV, internet, mobile and radio rights from Sportfive

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/sportfive_sells_olympic_rights_in_israel/

Photos of the Sochi 2014 Media Summit with CBC Sports on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.309346569196764.1073741826.192209947577094&type=1

The CBC will turn to the duo of Scott Irwin and Mark McInnis to run its live event Sochi 2014 and programming coverage.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cbc-names-mark-mcinnis-chris-386872

I kinda expect that Ten would like to have exclusive live broadcasts of both ceremonies like Nine did for both Sochi and Rio De Janeiro and allow FOXTEL air them after several hours.

Well, France Television surprised the French radio stations--RTL Radio France, RMC, RFI, and Europe 1--in asking all four of them to be France Television's radio partners for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics coverage with 40 accreditations for them. Interesting that it happens at a time when the IOC has largely broken ties with EBU for its European broadcast rights, except for the premier European nations.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://brl-tv.blog.leparisien.fr/archive/2013/01/15/france-televisions-donne-la-main-aux-radios-francaises-pour.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfrance%2Btelevisions%2B2014%2Bjeux%2Bolympiques%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D906

ZDF will continue with its cheaper platform of offering four extensive complimentary Olympic streaming Internet channels that go up to 40 hours of live sport daily than using its public digital channels--the popular ZDFneo and ZDFInfo--for Sochi. ZDF even rejected a proposal to join forces with ARD to merge their digital channels concerned over structural complications. But does hope to create an all-youth channel with ARD. Will both offer alternate commentary like in London?

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/05/27/zdf-to-offer-four-live-stream-from-sochi/

Forget 4K HDTV, NHK wants to test 8K Ultra HDTV broadcast for Sochi!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/nab-nhk-demos-8k-broadcasting-434897

Rather interesting that Sportfive, the pan-European rights holder to Sochi and Rio for much of Europe except for the major nations like the UK, France, Italy, and Spain, the Estonian Olympic TV rights for ETV, TV3, and Kanal 2 were divided six categories: opening and closing ceremony, one top discipline, all other disciplines, internet transmission rights, mobile transmission rights, and radio broadcasts. TV3 won in the second category and will be able to broadcast the discipline of its liking. Rights to the opening and closing ceremony, all other events aside from athletics, as well as to radio transmissions will be held by ERR. The rights to internet and mobile transmission weren't distributed because of too low offers.TV3 will likely select Nordic skiing for Sochi and track and field for Rio 2016. The CEO of TV3, Priit Leito, said that even though the information about the outcome of the bidding was not official yet their preference for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro games definitely was athletics. "It's got a significantly bigger volume than other disciplines and for Estonians Olympics are first and foremost about athletics," Leito said, adding that hopefully young Estonian stars will be in good form by that time.
http://www.mindsharebaltics.com/en/whats-new/Estonia/media-news?date=2012-07

Lietuvos Rytas TV, named after the national newspaper in Lithuania, will broadcast all the Olympic sports on Lithuanian TV. While LNK, a free-to-air TV channel in Lithuania, will emulate what France's TF1 did and just broadcast both ceremonies from both Sochi and Rio De Janeiro. Modern Times Group, which secures the exclusive Baltic Olympic TV rights and the pay-TV, pay-per-view, and online rights to all the Olympic events, will have its free-to-air channels there to select one sport to cover. We've just seen what its TV3 Estonian channel will likely select. But its Lithuanian version has yet to decide what events its will broadcast. Don't be surprised if TV3 Lietuva will show lots of basketball, since that nation is like the Indiana of Europe when it comes to that sport for Rio. As for Sochi, it could be ice hockey for TV3 Lietuva. We'll find out soon enough.

http://www.15min.lt/en/article/business/mtg-buys-rights-to-broadcast-2014-and-2016-olympics-in-the-baltics-527-232892

Based on what I saw the report on the Sochi website about the IBC, it seems that France 2 and France 3 will broadcast the Olympics again next year of all the channels in the France Televisions stable.

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/media/news/66389/

No official announcement on FOXTEL's Olympic plans emerged yet. It declined to discuss how much it could pay on it. Still, I wonder how many channels will pay-TV subscriber feature for this. For Vancouver, the last Winter Olympics, it had four channels--Cypress, Vancouver, Creakside, and Whistler. Makes us wonder what will they call the channels, likely to be expanded with the new sports coming in. Likely one more. Say a five channel roster. Then again, they all might be called Sochi 1-5. The earliest time FOXTEL could discuss negotiations with the IOC as noted by Kuttyswood one the reaction section is sometime in November. He explains there's no anti-siphoning list then, something that was promised back in 2010. And it's set to be reviewed then. The Australian government could hold off on a new anti-siphoning list issued until 2014 when there's a scheduled review. Wasn't announced back then, but we could see Ten, if allowed, to use its digital channels for the Olympic coverage like it did for the Dehli Commonwealth Games. Seemed to work together then, Ten and FOXTEL, even with its respective flaws.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/04/networks-coy-on-olympics-rights.html

We still don't know which among the Modern Times Group of Swedish commercial TV channels will show the Sochi Olympics--TV3, TV6, TV8, and TV10. The Baltic nations already have their TV3s involved. But they're obviously smaller markets. These channels will get the Best of the Best type of coverage with Swedish athletes focus, medal fighting, the hottest games, beginnings to completions and studio with the current time all the highlights and summary. Advertising breaks will be handled pliably, MTG promises, with the vast experience we have of live sports, and will not be deployed in the most crucial moments.

Modern Times Group's Viasat subscription pay-TV realm is where Sweden will have at 1300 hours of coverage with no commercials and with Swedish sportscasters. Viewers can select up to six live events simultaneously with, interestingly, a new Viasat 2014 channel for archival footage of past Olympic events and docs that started back on March 5. Like with TV2 Norge next door, Viasat will offer a 24-hour Olympic news channel. Online service Viaplay will offer everything from Sochi--1300 hours - broadcast live by Swedish commentators. With a subscription to Viaplay viewers have the opportunity to follow all the games broadcast live where they want, via computer, phone, tablet or gaming console.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&u=http://www.viasatsport.se/os/sa-ser-du-os/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtv3%2Bsverige%2Bvinter-os%2B2014%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D856&sa=X&ei=28uvUcCcHMaFywHy9YCQCw&ved=0CFgQ7gEwBQ

Based on what I saw the report on the Sochi website about the IBC, it seems that France 2 and France 3 will broadcast the Olympics again next year of all the channels in the France Televisions stable.

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/media/news/66389/

Yet again I feel compelled to ask, because I'm very curious to hear the answer.. when did you see that report? Because the article is dated February 26th. That means that article is actually exactly 100 days old today.

Actually yesterday as I was looking for any developments regarding France Televisions and its Olympic TV plans. The cue in it was here that FT2 and FT3 followed by the France in parantheses. Strictly coincedental there. Furthermore, there's also this catching up I'm doing to see anything pertaining to the Olympics and media that haven't made its way here. It's already well-confirmed that France Televisions has the French TV rights to the Olmypics up to 2020.

YLE will broadcast all events at both the 2014 and 2016 Games across a range of platforms, including television, the internet, radio and mobile with the public broadcaster plans to show at least 300 hours on its free to air TV channels from TV1, TV2, and likely again Swedish language channel YLE Fem (formerly FST5).

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/yle_acquires_2014_and_2016_olympic_rights_in_finland/

Let's take a look at the basic and general Olympic TV programming details for hosts Russia with Channel 1, Russia 1, Russia 2, and Russia 24 along with NTV Plus on the subscription side following the Sportfive and ANO Sports Broadcasting 2014-2016 deal. Channel 1 and Russia 1 will broadcast the key events (like Russia ice hockey games and the women's and men's figure skating free skate) with further coverage on Russia 2 and Russia 24. Of course, there will be additional coverage on NTV Plus' multiple TV channels, online, mobile, and national radio. Will they alternate the ceremonies like Germany does?

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/media/news/58147/

The Russian TV channels involved, including Panorama that came into existence in 2009, are already heavily into its new innovative TV equipment and cameras all the way up to Sochi come February (for the Russians, that is).

http://rt.com/sport/sochi-2014-tv-coverage-735/

Eurosport's Road To Sochi intro

Rogers will be rebranding The Score to Sportsnet 360 as of july 1st 2013 why i bring this up is 360 could be a big part of the Olympics broadcast plans it could be used to show highlights etc while the other main channels could focus just on live events.

I read an article in French by an estonian writer who is reporting secretly from Sochi.

He spoke of many disasters and massive flood which halted the work for a long time apprently.

I don't know the estonian newspaper but it was in the courrier international, a french magazine who collects the best or should i say informative articles from "serious" Newspapers.

Rogers will be rebranding The Score to Sportsnet 360 as of july 1st 2013 why i bring this up is 360 could be a big part of the Olympics broadcast plans it could be used to show highlights etc while the other main channels could focus just on live events.

This could act as the Canadian Olympic 24-hour news channel for Sochi. Could because I know there are plenty of NBA, CIS, and NCAA fans and Blue Jays fans there, for example, who would like to see highlights of their teams like when Toronto's at spring training. Not big on the Sportsnet 360 name.

NBC's not partnering with You Tube again for Sochi (and very likely not for Rio De Janeiro either). Too bad. Traffic to NBCOlympics.com during London lied at th herat of the issue. Whoever the NBC Sports Group associates itself with must work to make things accessible for many Americans. Silverlight sucked for some people like me since I had no access to that on public computers. The cloud idea, which has been the tech talk in the last couple of years, is interesting, and thus be used the upcoming next-gen gaming consoles (Playstation 4 and Xbox One). Will Sochi/Rio and the archives of NBC's past coverage be made permanent and accessible? Will it just be temp access months again after the Games like with London--never mind they got the rights up to 2020? Something to think about.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/06/10/Olympics/NBC-YouTube.aspx

On the French Canadian side of things returning to what Reidjr mentioned, RDS INFO could act as the French 24-hour Olympic news channel that Sportsnet360 could be for Sochi in English with the French side having RDS, very likely RDS2, Radio-Canada, and TVA Sports focusing on the live events. Then again, both Sportsnet360 (still The Score for less than a month until Canada Day) and RDS INFO call still show sports and instead of just news and bulletins.

Based on what we have on the Modern Times Group roster of terrestrial Swedish TV channels--TV3, TV6, TV8, and TV10, we don't know which channel MTG will tap for the free-to-air "Best of the Best" coverage. I looked at Wikipedia's entry for each of the channels. My speculations are that we can easily rule out TV8, which tends to be news, current affairs, and documentaries. News channels around the world have been known to cover Olympic events (see MSNBC, CNBC, and SVT 24 as examples), just not this time here. TV10, created back in 2008, does sports and documentaries and could boost its profile with Sochi. However, I don't see it as the carrier: it might like to still carry the NBA for example. So that leaves TV3 and TV6. My pick will be TV6 because it holds a more recent track record carrying significant sports events like the UEFA Champions League and F1--its sports programming are among the most popular on this Swedish channel. Why not continue that with an attractive and popular sports event the Olympics are? Plus, it carries the annual IIHF World Ice Hockey Championships since 2008. TV6 used to be a youth-based channel and with winter sports like snowboarding and ski cross being popular, it would like to maintain those roots by airing them especially if a Swede or any Scandinavian is in heavy medal contention. Olympic hockey will be huge on it, we're sure with Sweden's in it for both the men and women. No doubt it will try to be all-encompassing in many sports unlike the Baltic counterparts TV3s. TV3 formerly did a lot of sports broadcasting like the IIHF World Ice Hockey Championships from 1989-2007 and Wimbeldon but not as much as it did, and you probrably might assume with each of the Baltic nations have the MTG-owned TV3s doing one popular Olympic event to those nations each on FTA, it will be Sweden's TV3 keeping that trend. It still could, but I'm not seeing it.

Archived