Sign in to follow this  
WinGames

Is it cold enough in Krasnaya Polyana?

Hosting Olympic winter sports requires a few things, many of which money can buy (venues, equipment, etc.). But one thing that cannot be bought is weather. Cold weather. And Snow. The average night temperature at Krasnaya Polyana where the Olympic Sliding Center is located is about 21-25 degrees. That is JUST at the end of the temperature zone to hold a refrigerated track. I think it was enormously short-sighted for the IOC to accept that. This year--right now in Feb 2013--the Bobsled and Skeleton World Cup is at the Sanki center. It is over 40 degrees every NIGHT, warmer during the day. Yes, you can say that this is just a warm year, but I don't think so. I think this site was ill-chosen and I believe the IOC either did not consult the International Governing Bodies (in this case, the FIBT) or simply overlooked this tiny detail. It is critical that the IOC pay attention to these environmental issues. The Olympic Games are not a big party--they are important competitions! Logic demands that the metrics for good competitive features should be FIRST!

And the average climate in Whistler is..?

Just for reference, here are the low temps there for the upcoming week.. 33, 29, 21, 23, 27, 28, 29. A little bit above normal, but hardly atypical for that region. Maybe the IOC and FIBT and the organizers chose the wrong site, but somehow I doubt they simply missed a detail as important as the weather at the site.

HOT. COOL. YOURS B)

Test events for Sochi are running well in those temperatures right? Vancouver had their issues with Cypress Mountain but nothing went really bad. Sochi is probably learning from that.

Picture's I've been seeing it all looks very snowy and white and wintry - with sunshine to boot.

Always amused by those who claim the IOC don't know anything about the type of venues and environment needed for a games, or don't listen to the IFs or their own technical committees. The games are their whole reason for being and their lucrative prize. They've got processes and evaluations all the way along to ensure whoever they pick is a viable host. If they choose the likes of Sochi and PyeongChang, it's because they've been vetted already as being capable.

One of my favourite quotes about it from Dick Pound, who basically says the IOC's job is not to try and pick the "best" host - there is no such thing usually - but to ensure they don't pick the wrong host. Just about all their processes are geared towards that.

I second that sentiment. First and foremost, the Games have to WORK. Once basic capability is assured, the rest can appear almost arbitrary at times.

However, the IOC did bend its criteria for the likes of Rio -- most notably in terms of the number of hotel rooms.

Our Tulsa didn't say anything bad about Krasnaya...so it must be OK. ;)

I notice he's been quiet since Rob Livingston assured him there was snow on the ground in PC!

Picture's I've been seeing it all looks very snowy and white and wintry - with sunshine to boot.

Krasnaya really does look dreamy. If I hadn't gone to Vancouver and if I wasn't going to Pyeongchang, I would be on the first plane to Sochi next year.

After the cancellation of some events this week we need some updates for this issue

Sochi weather for next week

Sat
10°
Sun
Mon
10°
Tue
Wed
Thu
10°
Fri
13°
Sat
16°
Krasnaya Polyana
Sat
Cloudy
Sun
Rain / Snow
Mon
Showers
Tue
Rain / Snow
-1°
Wed
Few Snow Showers
-1°
Thu
Mostly Cloudy
-1°
Fri
Mostly Cloudy
Sat
Cloudy

-------------------

unfortunately we didn't see any snow pictures from Sochi city this year unlike the past few years

in krasnaya polyana the weather is much better ( for winter sports ) but not in the last few days

this month started with snowy weather but temperatures began to rise over the past two weeks

we hope the weather will be different and back as usual next year

Our Tulsa didn't say anything bad about Krasnaya...so it must be OK. ;)

haha ;)

I notice he's been quiet since Rob Livingston assured him there was snow on the ground in PC!

Sorry but I repeat, PC is a worst choice than Sotchi and Sotchi is a bad choice... 2014 and 2018 could be disastrous WoG. This 2 places don't have good climatic condition to host WoG.

You are an idiot.

Why ? Because the host city choice is totally crazy ? You are stupid, you speak without know. This week end all competition are fail, and lot of athletes criticisms Sotchi organization... You are stupid

We need some balance here. Evidently things haven't gone well in Sochi this week, but it's hard to take the Doomsday posts of Tulsa seriously. How worried should the IOC be?

Wasn't it Russian helicopters that helped rescue Cypress Mountain when Vancouver didn't deliver winter? Putin surely has the entire fleet lining up should they be needed.

It's to early to worry, but not to plan.

It's going to be epic regardless, the more hoops they have to jump through the more interesting.

Wasn't it Russian helicopters that helped rescue Cypress Mountain when Vancouver didn't deliver winter? Putin surely has the entire fleet lining up should they be needed.

It's to early to worry, but not to plan.

It's going to be epic regardless, the more hoops they have to jump through the more interesting.

The problem isn't only the snow, Athletes criticisms also the russian organization because they are not able tto organize this kind of events. Russian doesn't have knowledge about freestyle event or Alpine events... Even in Bobsleig, the slide was not good to practice safely...

One year is very short to become perfect to organize this sports...

Evidently he is not stupid enough to spell Sochi incorrectly.

Sorry but in my language we say Sotchi, but I say Sochi next time.

The problem isn't only the snow, Athletes criticisms also the russian organization because they are not able tto organize this kind of events. Russian doesn't have knowledge about freestyle event or Alpine events... Even in Bobsleig, the slide was not good to practice safely...

One year is very short to become perfect to organize this sports...

From the reports on the grounds they already fixed their **** when it comes to Bobsleight.

I though I read the bobsled track was getting rave reviews.

I see your point, Tulsa; organizing the events requiresskill and experience. Moreover, ALL the facilities are new and untried. Baronis right, they will learn a lot form these pre-games events. Will it be enough?We get to watch and see!

Agree with someone earlier, the interior of the curlingvenue is shockingly ugly. Let’s hope it gets a lot of Sochi trim.

Things are starting to feel more urgent now. What’s going inthe center of the Olympic Park?

It did. The ice was bad early this week (and is still not quite there) but the track and facilities themselves are top notch. Its also the only track in the world to have a warm up track, which is massively popular with the athletes.

I see your point, Tulsa; organizing the events requires skill and experience. Moreover, ALL the facilities are new and untried. Baron is right, they will learn a lot form these pre-games events. Will it be enough? We get to watch and see!

Agree with someone earlier, the interior of the curling venue is shockingly ugly. Let’s hope it gets a lot of Sochi trim.

Things are starting to feel more urgent now. What’s going in the center of the Olympic Park?

It's exactly what I think. I hope Sochi will be perfect in 2014