US Embassy bombing in Ankara proves

... there is no place on earth, which is "totally safe" ...

Ah, c'mon.....

There's no place in the World that couldn't spend more money on education, police, health etc. That doesn't stop us drawing a line somewhere and ruling out places like Ethiopa from hosting an Olympic Games. Let's talk specifics....

Istanbul has bigger security concerns than a lot of cities who want to host the Games. It's on the edge of a volatile region and has its own domestic security concerns and, although it has to be said most of these are centred around the East of the country, an Olympics could be a magnet for these issues to spill into Istanbul. Tokyo is safe enough, ETA seems like a spent force so I don't see Madrid having problems in that regard unless things change. But Istanbul and Turkey do have domestic issues that go beyond the possibility that stalks every Olympic host of a lone nutter making himself famous. I completely disagree with the opening post that the domestic security issues are concerning enough to rule Istanbul out. They're not. But they do need to be addressed, and I'm certain they'll be mentioned in the Evaluation reports.

A response that "no place on Earth is totally safe" is right up there this week with runningrings' post saying "If money and geography are of no concern then any place on Earth can host Olympics". Well, ok then.....but what does that actually tell us? In other news the sky is blue and Lance Armstrong has won as many TDF titles as I have. ;)

Well no place is completely safe and as I said many other Olympic hosts had major terrorism and other issues in the lead up to the games.

Uhmmm....I bet China, North Korea, Cuba and SIngapore would disagree with you. I bet you they can promise you a totally safe Olympic Games...well, actually, 2008 was without ANY politically-motivated incidents...providing no outside visitors are allowed in. :P

And I'm surprised that you did NOT include your own Australia and New Zealand which can insulate themselves very safely for big high-profile events like an Olympics or some high-security summit. In other words, no land borders shared with others. In any others, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, SOuth America, parts of Asia share common borders which determined crazies can cross over (as this guy in Turkey did). But any country w/ secured borders can hold a safe Olympic Games.

A response that "no place on Earth is totally safe" is right up there this week with runningrings' post saying "If money and geography are of no concern then any place on Earth can host Olympics". Well, ok then.....but what does that actually tell us? In other news the sky is blue and Lance Armstrong has won as many TDF titles as I have. ;)

Love it!! :lol:

Yes.. let's use 1 Embassy bombing to jump straight to "this region is unsuitable to host an Olympics." That makes a lot of sense.

I'm sure at some point in the not-too-distant future, the IOC is going to want to stage an Olympics in the Islamic/Arab world. They're going to be hard pressed to find such a host that doesn't come with a good deal of security concerns. Certainly they need to be addressed as valid concerns, but it's anything but a deal-breaker. Again, as noted, it's not like Istanbul would be the first host city/country that has had to deal with major security concerns.

Lets face it the USA is hated in almost every part of the world. This could have happened anywhere. So it should have a saying on if Istanbul should host or not.

What? Doesn't make sense.

All I'm saying is that there are ONLY 3 candidates for 2020. Madrid is probably out. Turkey, which everyone has assumed is a 'safer' muslim country and a 'safer' part of the Middle east, is actually NOT immune to the volatile, crazy acts of violence. And what does 'earthquakes' have to do with safety and terrorist acts? One is a natural phenomenon no different from tsunamis and hurricanes. Another is a human-instigated act which supposedly can be contained by really tight security measures. ANd why are people here so soft-skinned nellies and in such denial that something like this would weigh in on the IOC'ers minds.

If I were an IOC'er, yes, I would give the 'safety' factor to Japan (no shared borders with anyone); and vote for them. And if Istanbul were to try again in the future, let the World CUp 2022 be the test case for how the Middle East will deal with a mega-global event where you let hundreds of thousands of visitors into your midst. Some of you here are in denial. :(

Ah, c'mon.....

There's no place in the World that couldn't spend more money on education, police, health etc. That doesn't stop us drawing a line somewhere and ruling out places like Ethiopa from hosting an Olympic Games. Let's talk specifics....

Istanbul has bigger security concerns than a lot of cities who want to host the Games. It's on the edge of a volatile region and has its own domestic security concerns and, although it has to be said most of these are centred around the East of the country, an Olympics could be a magnet for these issues to spill into Istanbul. Tokyo is safe enough, ETA seems like a spent force so I don't see Madrid having problems in that regard unless things change. But Istanbul and Turkey do have domestic issues that go beyond the possibility that stalks every Olympic host of a lone nutter making himself famous. I completely disagree with the opening post that the domestic security issues are concerning enough to rule Istanbul out. They're not. But they do need to be addressed, and I'm certain they'll be mentioned in the Evaluation reports.

Of course you have to "address" security in Istanbul, but I think that is an issue everywhere on the world. I wonder if the US-authorities gave an official travel-warning for Turkey after that terrible terror attack.

What? Doesn't make sense.

All I'm saying is that there are ONLY 3 candidates for 2020. Madrid is probably out. Turkey, which everyone has assumed is a 'safer' muslim country and a 'safer' part of the Middle east, is actually NOT immune to the volatile, crazy acts of violence. And what does 'earthquakes' have to do with safety and terrorist acts? One is a natural phenomenon no different from tsunamis and hurricanes. Another is a human-instigated act which supposedly can be contained by really tight security measures. ANd why are people here so soft-skinned nellies and in such denial that something like this would weigh in on the IOC'ers minds.

If I were an IOC'er, yes, I would give the 'safety' factor to Japan (no shared borders with anyone); and vote for them. And if Istanbul were to try again in the future, let the World CUp 2022 be the test case for how the Middle East will deal with a mega-global event where you let hundreds of thousands of visitors into your midst. Some of you here are in denial. :(

Does this really shake your vision of the region that much though as if yesterday we all thought Turkey was "immune to the volatile crazy acts of violence" and suddenly today we realize these things can happen there? Or that Japan now gets the safety factor based on no shared borders because this bombing did something to change that? Of course it's something the IOC needs to factor in, but it's not like this is the first time they've considered a city in a volatile region before. If the IOC feels comfortable holding an Olympics in Korea (and 2018 isn't the first time for that either), I don't think a bombing in Ankara is the death knell for the prospect of an Istanbul Olympics.

Oh, and as for letting hundreds of thousands of visitors into your midst.. probably easier to secure that event when you're able to spend a billion dollars on security where your awareness level is heightened than an incident like this which can (and has) happened in many a large city. Just ask New York or London, among others.

and? there were a terrorist attack in madrid at 2004 and 2006

sarin gas attack in tokyo center and attacks in Istanbul too...

its a pity and sad news for all, but so if usa cant follow their planes and hit dem to their economy symbols so usa can never ever get the games in simple mind.

as i remember there were bombings in london several places in the same time at 2005 just a day after they win 2012 games.

its st like earthquakes we have live with. there will be always terrorist attacks whole around the world. and these attacks never recognize nations religions or countries.

Lets face it the USA is hated in almost every part of the world. This could have happened anywhere. So it should have a saying on if Istanbul should host or not.

That's really not true. "Hate" is a very strong word that really only reasonably applies in parts of the Middle East and North Korea. The US may not be as beloved as it once was (thanks to the growing pains of a global economy and the poor choices surrounding war in Iraq), but it is not "hated in almost every part of the world."

I agree that this attack intensifies one of the hesitations about Istanbul's bid. It doesn't kill the bid, but it forced the organizers to spend time, energy and money on allaying security concerns.

Sorry. I meant "forces".

That's really not true. "Hate" is a very strong word that really only reasonably applies in parts of the Middle East and North Korea. The US may not be as beloved as it once was (thanks to the growing pains of a global economy and the poor choices surrounding war in Iraq), but it is not "hated in almost every part of the world."

I agree that this attack intensifies one of the hesitations about Istanbul's bid. It doesn't kill the bid, but it forced the organizers to spend time, energy and money on allaying security concerns.

Sorry. I meant "forces".

Disliked, looked down upon whatever. The United States' reputation of hegemonic control and invading countries whenever it feels is something many do not like.

American on vacation murdered in Istanbul - Miami Herald She was missing and they just found her body a day or so ago, she was bashed in the head and killed. 861-mRZch.Em.55.jpeg

Oh no we shouldn't pick Istanbul because someone died. No other city has murders.... London had what? 50 deaths the day after they were announced. That was more of a terrorism attack than blowing up embassy

http://touristkilled.com/category/spain/ see there are tourists killed in all over the world you can search for Japan,too. And this is not the city's or that city's people's fault. Should policemen follow every single tourist in Istanbul? Also, even American Ambassador says Turkey is a safe place for Americans: http://www.euronews.com/2013/02/01/ambassador-hails-hero-killed-in-embassy-blast/

Disliked, looked down upon whatever. The United States' reputation of hegemonic control and invading countries whenever it feels is something many do not like.

Oh please. That is garbage. Hegemony? How about the country that did more to promote democracy around the world than any other in history? As for all these countries we supposedly invade, you must be referring mainly to Iraq and Vietnam-- both of which were highly controversial here in the US, both of them with half the country opposed to them. One could argue that in both cases pressure from the populace hastened the end of both wars. And, not that I'm defending either war, but one must admit there were grave problems in both Vietnam and Iraq prior to those wars. When you have more power and wealth than others, you're bound to have detractors.

With power comes responsibility. Nations with less power have less responsibility and are incapable if making mistakes on as grand a scale. Canada, for example, simply does not face the same type of global duty. Democracy and free speech make it possible for us to challenge and expose our country's errors -- something that is not possible in China, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela and elsewhere in the world -- countries that actually ARE hegemonies.

I take offense at your comments and find them unfounded.

Archived