Sign in to follow this  
runningrings

Which five Olympics do you wish you could have attended?

I attended all the Summer & Winter Games since 2000 (plus Albertville 1992).... So my top missing 5 would be :

- Lillehammer 1994 (I loved Norway... and Norwegian girls !)

- Barcelona 1992 (The location at Montjuic is fantastic)

- Los Angeles 1984 (The 1st Games i could remember the OC seen on TV !)

- Paris 1924 (to see live all those venues i discovered 60+ years later)

- Athens 1896 (to be there at the beginning of everything !)

• Like 1

1998 - Calgary - Wasn't living here yet, but was just a 9-year-old kid when these games were on.

1994 - Lillehammer - A family friend was competing in Biathlon. Would've been cool to cheer him on.

2002 - Salt Lake City - During the 2nd week, I was in Reno, just a few hours drive away. Was tempting to go there, but went up to Squaw Valley to check out the old Olympic site instead. Also, a family friend competed in hockey, and ended up capturing the gold - would've been cool to watch and cheer him on.

2012 - London - would've had a place to stay there, but my financial situation wasn't that great.

Runners-up:

2008 - Beijing - a schoolmate competed in wrestling. Would've been cool to go there to watch him.

2004 - Athens - where it all started!

Who (as in the athletes) lol?

Not in any particular order:

1968 Mexico City - First Summer Games I saw on TV as a 12 year old

1936 Berlin

1976 Innsbruck - Still my favorite Winter Games. I'm planning to visit there this summer.

1992 Barcelona

2012 London

For me - in no particular order:

Sydney 2000 - Still one of the best games ever. Would have loved to see Cathy Freeman live win the 400m and for a moment unite Australia.

Barcelona 1992 - The games for a new world. The historic city of Barcelona put on a games to remember with the stunning main stadium.

London 2012 - For the excellent Kiwi performance

Rome 1960 - To watch the Kiwi golden hour on the track win 2 golds to Snell and Helberg

Beijing 2008 - The birds nest and the water cube.

Another- Altanta 1996 - The first games I can remember watching. A centimental favourite despite the issues.

Mexico 1968 - very unique in many ways

Los Angeles 1984 - because of the heavy 80's vibe!!

Barcelona 1992 - for the setting and the Brazilian performance there and because I was too young to remember

Sydney 2000 - for the energy and because I wasn't allowed to stay awake overnight yet <_<

Athens 2004 - because of the symbolism and for being the first olympics I followed from opening to closing

5 is the limit, but Sarajevo and Lillehammer are finalists.

It's tough to choose, but:

Lake Placid '80 (most of my relatives are from the area)

Lillehammer '94 (great hosts and winter sports tradition)

Mexico City '68 (spectacular performances)

Barcelona '92 (seemed amazing watching it on TV)

Rome '60 (historic host city)

Lillehammer 1994

Atlanta 1996

Nagano 1998

Sydney 2000

Salt Lake City 2002

Sounds like your personal "Golden Decade" of Games!

mascotbanner.jpg

those 2 are so cute skating in the little spotlight.

"Ronnie" and Magique, too. The first gay Olympic mascot couple! Reminds me of a scene from Alan Jay Lerner's last musical, "Dance A Little Closer." It had the first live ice skating scene on a Broadway stage and the first gay male kiss on ice blades, too. (That was 1983.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

"Ronnie" and Magique, too. The first gay Olympic mascot couple! Reminds me of a scene from Alan Jay Lerner's last musical, "Dance A Little Closer." It had the first live ice skating scene on a Broadway stage and the first gay male kiss on ice blades, too. (That was 1983.)

TLA Ronnie and Magique.

I started noticing that little Magique a year or so ago, he might be my favorite mascot. I wish Izzy was a little more like a summer version of him.

TLA Ronnie and Magique.

I started noticing that little Magique a year or so ago, he might be my favorite mascot. I wish Izzy was a little more like a summer version of him.

Magique was supposed to be a 'Mountain Imp' (whatever that meant). I always put him in the "Christmas tree ornament" genre.

Sounds like your personal "Golden Decade" of Games!

Those were my childhood games, who wouldn't want to relive them.

• Like 1

I've been to 1 Olympics in person (Salt Lake 2002). Here are my other 5..

Sydney 2000 - Never been to Australia. I was in college at the time and I have a few friends who did a semester abroad there when the Olympics were in Sydney. Wish I could have been there, I'm sure it would have been an amazing experience

Lillehammer 1994 - Along similar lines, I have a cousin who was in Europe and made it to Lillehammer. Still have some of the souvenirs she sent me back. The last of it's kind before the Winter Olympics grew in proportion and still resonates as so much of what is right about the Winter Olympics.

Lake Placid 1980 - I spent many summers in my youth in upstate NY so the region has plenty of significance for me. Needless to say.. to have been 1 of the lucky 8,000 people in the Olympic Center for the USA-Russia hockey game is something I would be talking about for the rest of my life

Rome 1960 - Need 1 older Olympics here and this would be my 1. To attend an Olympics in once imperial Rome would have been special. And with so many famous Americans having made their mark there, I'm sure it would have been special.

And number 5.. is it cheating to say the ancient Olympics? Didn't think so. Let's go with the ancient Olympics!

And number 5.. is it cheating to say the ancient Olympics? Didn't think so. Let's go with the ancient Olympics!

Wish I would have thought of that one! Lots of buffed, oiled and naked Greek men. Oh yes!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

Berlin 1936

Montreal 1976

Los Angeles 1984

Barcelona 1992

Sydney 2000

Athens 2004, Calgary 1988 and Lillehammer 1994 would be on the short list.

I attended Vancouver 2010 and considered doing a road trip to Salt Lake 2002 but chickened out (and regret it).

I had the luck to attend my first Olympic Games in London last year - here is my list, which I would have attended:

WINTER OLYMPICS:

Innsbruck 1976
Albertville 1992

Lillehammer 1994

Salt Lake City 2002

Vancouver 2010

SUMMER OLYMPICS:

Berlin 1936

München 1972

Barcelona 1992

Sydney 2000

Beijing 2008

OLYMPIC GAMES:

München 1972

Lillehammer 1994

Sydney 2000

Salt Lake City 2002

Beijing 2008

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Funny, a few days back I thought about some day starting this kind of topic, though I might have limited it to just maybe two games but I guess this way it's better.

in chronological order:

Stockholm 1912 - personal reasons plus it would've been very, very different to modern games.

Helsinki 1952 - personal reasons.

Munich 1972 - despite the terrorists I believe these were remarkable games, visually stunning and elegant and at the same time very modern looking. Also I could see my idol Lasse Viren's golden performances.

Seoul 1988 - personal appeal as these were my childhood games and the first I remember really watching. Also the last cold war games.

Sydney 2000 - celebrated and joyful games. A tough choice, but only because I have so many great memories of watching these back home and I wouldn't like to lose them!

Just missed the list:

Mexico City 1968, in many ways unique, the only games in Latin America so far, high altitude, politics and atmosphere of a crazy year.

Moscow 1980, the first and only games in the communist block, boycotts, propaganda and politics.

Athens 2004 atmosphere of the games returning to their birthplace.

I attended the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. Above all because i wa sin the opening ceremony and was just GREAT!

But the Olympics I wish I could attended are the following M-M-B-B-B cities:

I. Mexico City 1968: The city just shone as ever. A memorable and tumultuous year everywhere. Great host people, original graphic design, very symbolic torch relay and the 60's fashion and environment appealing. Besides a lot of surprising scores!

II. Moscow 1980: Very artistic opening ceremony, lovely mascot and communism in its heyday.

III. Berlin 1936: The beginning of lots of Olympic traditions and impeccable organisation.

IV. Barcelona 1992: The perfect Olympic set. Great music and ceremonial protocol. And for the first time a lot of countries gathering together in a great party.

V. Beijing 2008: The awakening of a nation surrounded by extravaganza.

Melbourne 1956 and more specifically the rowing in Ballarat as its where i live and go past Lake Wendouree and the rowing coarse a few times a week.

Barcelona 1992

Atlanta 1996 Was it really as bad as everyone says?

Calgary 1988

Salt Lake 2002 Bradbury!

Vancouver 2010