Which five Olympics do you wish you could have attended?

1936...Great fun to be had wearing light brown shirt!!!

1976...Just so I could hear my homeland, New Zealand, being boo'd as the team entered the stadium...

1980...Just to flip the bird at the USA - telling us we can't go...

1984...Just to flip the bird at the USA - this time for our No Nukes policy!

2012...What a PAARTAAAY!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I dont think we were booed...

1936...Great fun to be had wearing light brown shirt!!!

1976...Just so I could hear my homeland, New Zealand, being boo'd as the team entered the stadium...

1980...Just to flip the bird at the USA - telling us we can't go...

1984...Just to flip the bird at the USA - this time for our No Nukes policy!

2012...What a PAARTAAAY!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my first post. I have checked this site for a long time but have never joined partly because I am far from an expert on the Oympic movement. I am a member of a world's fair forum and I find the history of these great international events to be endlessly fascinating. I find the social, political and economic history of the Olympic movement as interesting as the actual competitions.

In any event, this thread caught my eye. And if I could witness five Olympic games, my choices would be:

Berlin, 1936--simply because it was, in many ways, the first Olympic summer games as we know them today. It was a propaganda spectacle, of course, but it must have been remarkable event. And I would have loved to see Jesse Owens compete.

Lake Placid, 1932--because I would have enjoyed watching Sonja Heine skate.

Montreal, 1976--because I had the chance to attend some of the events of that Olympiad and would like to go back in time. It is a wonderful city.

Grenoble, 1968--just to see Peggy Fleming skate to gold

Calgary, 1988--to see Eddie the Eagle jump!

And a sixth: Lake Placid, 1980, to watch Eric Heiden skate, and because it was the last "small town" Olympic games. Today, I live near Lake Placid and I am charmed and impressed with the manner this Adirondack village has preserved its Olympic history.

Archived