Which five Olympics do you wish you could have attended?

Winter or Summer, for any reason.

Mine:

Amsterdam 1928 - Not sure why, maybe it is my interest in all things 1920's or the fact that it always stuck me as an almost 'Barcelona 1992' moment for the pre-war Olympic movement, I think it was a rather non-politicised, well staged event... a culmination of many European hosts over previous decades.

Melbourne 1956 - I'm in awe of the fact that Australia pulled off the 2000 Olympics, but I'm in even more awe of the fact that were did it in 1956, at a time when the nation was in the throws of massive social change after the war. The contrast between the two Games is amazing.

Munich 1972 - It might seem macabre, and I'd be lying if the terrible events of these Games weren't part of the reason I've chosen Munich 1972 - but more than anything it was a watershed moment for the Olympic movement, it both good and bad ways. The good was that, aside from security, it was an immensely well thought out, well meaning Olympics. The style of these Olympics still ranks (to me) as having the most class, ever. Amazing venue design, amazing theme. Stunning, beautiful Games; tragic ending. If Munich lands 2022 - I hope that they tastefully revive some of that Munich 72' branding style - especially the screen printed posters - it could be beautifully adapted for the Winter Games.

Sarajevo 1984 - Again - macabre- but aside from the fact a war would ravage the city 10 years later, it is more the fact that this is one of the more unusual Olympic hosts, ever (summer or winter). An amazing, beautiful, complicated city staging a brilliant Games.

Barcelona 1992 - The first Olympics I remember. They were the face of a fresh, new Europe. Well staged, well organised, and it just looked ... fun. (Still, this doesn't make me pine for Madrid, at all.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been to 1984 and 2004 and I wouldn't trade them. I would add Lillehammer (for charm), Berlin '36 (for history) and some as yet undetermined future Summer Games. I suspect I'll make it to one more sometime, somewhere. Perhaps Durban? Or maybe Chicago? Istanbul? Madrid? We'll see....

I've been to 1984 and 2004 and I wouldn't trade them. I would add Lillehammer (for charm), Berlin '36 (for history) and some as yet undetermined future Summer Games. I suspect I'll make it to one more sometime, somewhere. Perhaps Durban? Or maybe Chicago? Istanbul? Madrid? We'll see....

2026 in Reno definitely 4 u, mon ami!! ;)

Lillehammer 1994... to get the confirmation that a small city is able to organize the Games !

Sydney 2000... as everybody is saying the atmosphere was amazing !

Berlin 1936.. for the the history and because i am in love with this city

Grenoble 1968... to especially see all the races of Jean-Claude Killy

Albertville 1992 Opening Ceremony (I attended 2 events)... as it was the beginning of a new era !

The REAL deal Olympic bell.

Olympia+Glocke+-+Olympic+bell+-+Berlin+1

And two GamebIdders with the bell in the 21st century:

img1957rn.jpg
Yeah, I'd agree with Berlin 36 - it would have been a fascinating games to watch - and a fascinating city in a fascinating point of its history.
Others:
Rome 1960 - supposedly the Barcelona of its day.
Munich 1972 - again, until the tragic events that marked it, one of the more joyous celebrations. And after ... history as it happens.
Barcelona 1972 - the one that really still lives on in my mind as one of the classiest celebrations ever. Right up there with ...
Lillehammer 1994 - the highpoints of the winter Olympics. And to experience the atmosphere of keen Scandinavians camping in the freezing snow to watch them.
Beijing 2008 - because I could have gone there on a junket, but timed my departure from my old job wrong. The one (for me) that got away.

Can't believe we haven't had this thread before!!

I seem to remember we have.

And two GamebIdders with the bell in the 21st century:

img1957rn.jpg
Yeah, I'd agree with Berlin 36 - it would have been a fascinating games to watch - and a fascinating city in a fascinating point of its history.

By the way: the scripture on the bottom is read: "Ich rufe die Jugend der Welt" (I call the youth of the world)

Well in their time I think BERLIN 1936 was just impresive!

Time pases by and though I was three years old I pick The called "best Winter Olympics" in LILLEHAMMER 1994, the millenium games SYDNEY 2000, the atmosphere created by the Candadians during VANCOUVER 2010 and Guatemala winning it's first medal ever in LONDON 2012 are all in my list.

(If I can choose a sixth ATHENS 2004 I'm just in love with greek girls, their history and Greece in general)

Hmmm, in no particular order ...

* Rome 60: these have always appeared to me as one of the few *Classic Games*. Fantastic sport, fantastic historical venues, and I would have loved to be there for NZ's *Golden hour* with Snell and Halberg.

* Paris 24: I guess it's a retrospective kind of thing, but to be at the Chariots of Fire Olympiad..... it's just so iconic for the Olympic Games.

* Barcelona 92: I kind of view these as the modern day equiv of Rome 60. Having visited Barcelona and Montjuic, I think it would have been magical to been in the city as the world was in town. Would have been quite special being on Montjuic on Opening Ceremony night,

- Lillehammer 94: Always thought these were the classic winter Olympics , being in Lillehammer in summer was great but would have loved to attend those Games in some of the awesome venues that they had. I think it would have been great attending some of those skiing events with the Fakkelmannen in the woods above.

- London 2012: It just looked so much fun , and being a particularly good games for NZ, would have loved to be there.

I've been to two Olympics - Barcelona '92 and London 2012 so I obviously won't include those.

Moscow 1980 - would have loved to have witnessed the Ovett/Coe rivalry and Alan Wells winning the 100m final.

Los Angeles 1984 - I think it looked bonkers and would have been a lot of fun!

Seoul 1988 - remember these Games very well and would have been very 'different.'

Sydney 2000 - few people have a bad word to say about it. Well organised in a lovely city.

Beijing 2008 - would have been an awesome experience although I think the pollution would have got to me (as it did in 2009 when I went on holiday to the city.)

I think I went to the best two Games though and wouldn't swap them.

I've been to two Olympics - Barcelona '92 and London 2012 so I obviously won't include those.

Moscow 1980 - would have loved to have witnessed the Ovett/Coe rivalry and Alan Wells winning the 100m final.

Los Angeles 1984 - I think it looked bonkers and would have been a lot of fun!

Seoul 1988 - remember these Games very well and would have been very 'different.'

Sydney 2000 - few people have a bad word to say about it. Well organised in a lovely city.

Beijing 2008 - would have been an awesome experience although I think the pollution would have got to me (as it did in 2009 when I went on holiday to the city.)

I think I went to the best two Games though and wouldn't swap them.

I was in Beijing in 2008 during the Olympics and the skies were remarkably clear for Beijing. I had been there before and they had made a huge effort to change. Just a shame it was only for the Olympic period itself.

1998 - Calgary - Wasn't living here yet, but was just a 9-year-old kid when these games were on.

1994 - Lillehammer - A family friend was competing in Biathlon. Would've been cool to cheer him on.

2002 - Salt Lake City - During the 2nd week, I was in Reno, just a few hours drive away. Was tempting to go there, but went up to Squaw Valley to check out the old Olympic site instead. Also, a family friend competed in hockey, and ended up capturing the gold - would've been cool to watch and cheer him on.

2012 - London - would've had a place to stay there, but my financial situation wasn't that great.

Runners-up:

2008 - Beijing - a schoolmate competed in wrestling. Would've been cool to go there to watch him.

2004 - Athens - where it all started!

Archived