F1 2013

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that the new regulations could mix things a little bit. Too bad that they don't change the rule of different types of tires. I wish that were a single type. At least in qualifying.

Sounds like Perez out and Kevin Magnussen in at McLaren too!

Sergio Pérez confirms he is leaving McLaren after one season in F1 team

Sergio Pérez has confirmed he is to leave McLaren at the end of this season. Pérez, who has been with the Woking-based team for a year, informed his fans via an open letter on his Twitter account that the final two races in the United States this weekend and Brazil next would be his last for McLaren.

The news comes as no great surprise, it having been expected that Pérez will be replaced by the McLaren development driver Kevin Magnussen from next season. An announcement regarding Magnussen is expected soon.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/nov/13/sergio-perez-leaving-mclaren-f1

Lotus agrees deal with Heikki Kovalainen to replace Kimi Raikkonen

Heikki Kovalainen will be announced as Kimi Raikkonen's replacement at Lotus on Thursday once final details of his contract with the team have been sorted out.

Following intense discussions that have involved both the Lotus and Caterham teams over the past few hours, AUTOSPORT understands that an agreement has been reached for him to stand in for the final two Formula 1 races of the season.

One of the main hurdles was securing the blessing of Caterham for the deal, because Kovalainen is under contract to the outfit until the end of the season.

But despite a history of friction between Caterham and Lotus dating back to the Team Lotus naming dispute, sources suggest that an amicable deal has been reached for Kovalainen to be released to race for Lotus in the United States and Brazil.

Kovalainen has already visited Lotus' Enstone headquarters to finalise his preparations for a return to racing action for the first time since 2012.

Lotus is expected to make an announcement confirming Kovalainen's deal on Thursday morning, just hours before he is due to arrive at the Austin track.

Kovalainen's deal comes after efforts to sign Nico Hulkenberg came to nothing when the German decided against joining the team, despite having visited Enstone earlier this week.

Autosport

Kevin Magnussen confirmed as McLaren Formula 1 race driver for 2014

Posted on Wednesday, 13 Nov 2013 19:30 (GMT)

McLaren is pleased to announce that Kevin Magnussen will join Jenson Button as a McLaren Formula 1 race driver for 2014 Jensons fifth year and Kevins first year as McLaren Formula 1 race drivers.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2013/United-States-Grand-Prix/Kevin-Magnussen-confirmed-as-McLaren-Formula-1-race-driver-for-2014/

News from indycar series:

Dario Franchitti, 3-time Indianapolis 500 winner, forced to retire because of crash injuries

November 14, 2013

Four-time IndyCar Series champion Dario Franchitti reluctantly retired on Thursday after doctors told him it was too dangerous to continue racing following his crash injuries last month.

Franchitti broke his spine and his right ankle and suffered a concussion in the Oct. 6 race at Houston, where his car made contact with Takuma Sato's car on the last lap and sailed into a fence. Debris from the accident injured 13 fans in the grandstands and one IndyCar official.

The 40-year-old Franchitti underwent two surgeries on his ankle and recently returned home to Scotland to recover.

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?&pageType=sports&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2F8301-400_162-57612422%2Fdario-franchitti-3-time-indianapolis-500-winner-forced-to-retire-because-of-crash-injuries%2F&catid=57612422&nb_splitPage=0

News from indycar series:

Dario Franchitti, 3-time Indianapolis 500 winner, forced to retire because of crash injuries

November 14, 2013

Four-time IndyCar Series champion Dario Franchitti reluctantly retired on Thursday after doctors told him it was too dangerous to continue racing following his crash injuries last month.

Franchitti broke his spine and his right ankle and suffered a concussion in the Oct. 6 race at Houston, where his car made contact with Takuma Sato's car on the last lap and sailed into a fence. Debris from the accident injured 13 fans in the grandstands and one IndyCar official.

The 40-year-old Franchitti underwent two surgeries on his ankle and recently returned home to Scotland to recover.

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?&pageType=sports&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2F8301-400_162-57612422%2Fdario-franchitti-3-time-indianapolis-500-winner-forced-to-retire-because-of-crash-injuries%2F&catid=57612422&nb_splitPage=0

Pretty crazy... I was at Franchitti's next to last race ever... wow, just wow.

(huge IndyCar fan here).

Kimi Raikkonen undergoes successful back surgery

Kimi Raikkonen underwent successful back surgery in Strasbourg on Thursday, the Lotus team has announced.

The Finn withdrew from the final two grands prix of the 2013 Formula 1 season last weekend so that he could have an operation on the lingering back problem that had caused him discomfort in several races.

Professor Afshin Gangi led the surgery at Strasbourg's University Hospital.

A statement from the Lotus team said: "Kimi will now rest for a few days and he will start his recovery process as early as next week.

"Everyone at the track and at Enstone wishes him a quick recovery."

Raikkonen will not rejoin Lotus as he has signed for Ferrari for the 2014 season.

Lotus has recruited Caterham reserve Heikki Kovalainen to take his place for Austin and Interlagos.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111334

US GP Qualfying

1. Sebastian Vettel      Red Bull-Renault     1m36.338s 2. Mark Webber           Red Bull-Renault     1m36.441s  +0.103s 3. Romain Grosjean       Lotus-Renault        1m37.155s  +0.817s 4. Nico Hulkenberg       Sauber-Ferrari       1m37.296s  +0.958s 5. Lewis Hamilton        Mercedes             1m37.345s  +1.007s 6. Fernando Alonso       Ferrari              1m37.376s  +1.038s 7. Sergio Perez          McLaren-Mercedes     1m37.452s  +1.114s 8. Heikki Kovalainen     Lotus-Renault        1m37.715s  +1.377s 9. Valtteri Bottas       Williams-Renault     1m37.836s  +1.498s10. Esteban Gutierrez     Sauber-Ferrari       1m38.034s  +1.696s11. Daniel Ricciardo      Toro Rosso-Ferrari   1m38.131s  +1.066s12. Paul di Resta         Force India-Mercedes 1m38.139s  +1.074s13. Jenson Button         McLaren-Mercedes     1m38.217s  +1.152s14. Nico Rosberg          Mercedes             1m38.364s  +1.299s15. Felipe Massa          Ferrari              1m38.592s  +1.527s16. Jean-Eric Vergne      Toro Rosso-Ferrari   1m38.696s  +1.631s17. Adrian Sutil          Force India-Mercedes 1m39.250s  +1.429s18. Pastor Maldonado      Williams-Renault     1m39.351s  +1.530s19. Giedo van der Garde   Caterham-Renault     1m40.491s  +2.670s20. Jules Bianchi         Marussia-Cosworth    1m40.528s  +2.707s21. Charles Pic           Caterham-Renault     1m40.596s  +2.775s22. Max Chilton           Marussia-Cosworth    1m41.401s  +3.580s

The USA Grand Prix

1. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1h39;17.148

2. Grosjean Lotus-Renault + 6.2

3. Webber Red Bull-Renault + 8.3

4. Hamilton Mercedes + 27.3

5. Alonso Ferrari + 29.5

6. Hulkenberg Sauber-Ferrari + 30.4

7. Perez McLaren-Mercedes + 46.6

8. Bottas Williams-Renault + 54.5

9. Rosberg Mercedes + 59.1

10. Button McLaren-Mercedes + 1:17.2

11. Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1:21.0

12. Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1:24.5

13. Massa Ferrari + 1:26.9

14. Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari + 1:31.7

15. Kovalainen Lotus-Renault + 1:35.0

16. Di Resta Force India-Mercedes + 1:36.8

17. Maldonado Williams-Renault + 1 lap

18. Bianchi Marussia-Cosworth + 1 lap

19. van der Garde Caterham-Renault + 1 lap

20. Pic Caterham-Renault + 1 lap

21. Chilton Marussia-Cosworth + 1 lap

Brazilian GP Qualifying

1. Sebastian Vettel      Red Bull-Renault     1m26.479s 2. Nico Rosberg          Mercedes             1m27.102s  +0.623s 3. Fernando Alonso       Ferrari              1m27.539s  +1.060s 4. Mark Webber           Red Bull-Renault     1m27.572s  +1.093s 5. Lewis Hamilton        Mercedes             1m27.677s  +1.198s 6. Romain Grosjean       Lotus-Renault        1m27.737s  +1.258s 7. Daniel Ricciardo      Toro Rosso-Ferrari   1m28.052s  +1.573s 8. Jean-Eric Vergne      Toro Rosso-Ferrari   1m28.081s  +1.602s 9. Felipe Massa          Ferrari              1m28.109s  +1.630s10. Nico Hulkenberg       Sauber-Ferrari       1m29.582s  +3.103s11. Heikki Kovalainen     Lotus-Renault        1m27.456s  +1.295s12. Paul di Resta         Force India-Mercedes 1m27.798s  +1.637s13. Valtteri Bottas       Williams-Renault     1m27.954s  +1.793s14. Sergio Perez          McLaren-Mercedes     1m28.269s  +2.108s15. Jenson Button         McLaren-Mercedes     1m28.308s  +2.147s16. Adrian Sutil          Force India-Mercedes 1m28.586s  +2.425s17. Pastor Maldonado      Williams-Renault     1m27.367s  +2.025s18. Esteban Gutierrez     Sauber-Ferrari       1m27.445s  +2.103s19. Charles Pic           Caterham-Renault     1m27.843s  +2.501s20. Giedo van der Garde   Caterham-Renault     1m28.320s  +2.978s21. Jules Bianchi         Marussia-Cosworth    1m28.366s  +3.024s22. Max Chilton           Marussia-Cosworth    1m28.950s  +3.608s

The Brazilian GP

1.  Vettel         Red Bull-Renault           1h32:36.300 2.  Webber         Red Bull-Renault           +    10.452 3.  Alonso         Ferrari                    +      18.9 4.  Button         McLaren-Mercedes           +      37.3 5.  Rosberg        Mercedes                   +      39.0 6.  Perez          McLaren-Mercedes           +      44.0 7.  Massa          Ferrari                    +      49.1 8.  Hulkenberg     Sauber-Ferrari             +    1:04.2 9.  Hamilton       Mercedes                   +    1:12.910.  Ricciardo      Toro Rosso-Ferrari         +     1 lap11.  Di Resta       Force India-Mercedes       +     1 lap12.  Gutierrez      Sauber-Ferrari             +     1 lap13.  Sutil          Force India-Mercedes       +     1 lap14.  Kovalainen     Lotus-Renault              +     1 lap15.  Vergne         Toro Rosso-Ferrari         +     1 lap16.  Maldonado      Williams-Renault           +     1 lap17.  Bianchi        Marussia-Cosworth          +    2 laps18.  van der Garde  Caterham-Renault           +    2 laps19.  Chilton        Marussia-Cosworth          +    2 laps

Drivers Championship

1.  Vettel        397       2.  Alonso        242       3.  Webber        199         4.  Hamilton      189         5.  Raikkonen     183         6.  Rosberg       171       7.  Grosjean      132        8.  Massa         112         9.  Button         73      10.  Hulkenberg     51       11.  Perez          49       12.  Di Resta       48       13.  Sutil          29       14.  Ricciardo      20       15.  Vergne         13       16.  Gutierrez       6       17.  Bottas          4       18.  Maldonado       1    

Constructors

1.  Red Bull-Renault          5962.  Mercedes                  3603.  Ferrari                   3544.  Lotus-Renault             3155.  McLaren-Mercedes          1226.  Force India-Mercedes       777.  Sauber-Ferrari             578.  Toro Rosso-Ferrari         339.  Williams-Renault            5

Ross Brawn leaves Mercedes after months of speculation

Ross Brawn is to step down from his position as Mercedes team principal at the end of the year, ending months of speculation.

After lengthy discussions, the Brackley-based team is now to be run by Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe in their roles as executive director (business) and executive director (technical) respectively.

"The most important consideration in my decision to step down from the role as team principal was to ensure that the timing was right for the team in order to ensure its future success," Brawn, who will remain with the team until 31 December, told Autosport.com.

"The succession planning process that we have implemented during this year means we are now ready to conduct the transition from my current responsibilities to a new leadership team composed of Toto and Paddy.

"Mercedes-Benz has invested significantly in both the personnel and infrastructure at Brackley and Brixworth.

"Thanks to the one-team approach we have implemented between the two facilities, the team is uniquely positioned to succeed in 2014 and I am proud to have helped lay the foundations for that success.

"However, 2014 will mark the beginning of a new era in the sport. We therefore felt this was the right time to simultaneously begin a new era of team management to ensure that the organisation is in the strongest possible competitive position for the years to come."

Niki Lauda, Mercedes' non-executive chairman, had tried to convince Brawn to stay on but it is likely his role would have been diminished.

"We have had long discussions with Ross about how he could continue with the team but it is a basic fact that you cannot hold somebody back when they have chosen to move on," he said.

"Ross has decided that this is the right time to hand over the reins to Toto and Paddy and we respect his decision.

"Toto and Paddy are the right people to lead our team in 2014 and beyond."

Lowe had been brought in from McLaren with the intention of installing him as Brawn's successor.

He had been in charge at Mercedes since 2010 after the manufacturer bought out Brawn GP and was instrumental in bringing Lewis Hamilton to the team.

Lewis Hamilton tweeted: "Massive thanks to Ross Brawn. He's been a great leader and teacher for me. Ross has built the foundations for us to succeed in 2014!"

He added: "Toto and Paddy are fantastic guys and strong leaders for the team. I've started my training already and can't wait for 2014!"

Brawn could now interest Honda, who are re-entering the sport in 2015 as McLaren's engine partner.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/nov/28/ross-brawn-leaves-mercedes-f1

Grosjean and Maldonado to Drive for Lotus F1 Team in 2014

Lotus F1 Team is pleased to announce that Venezuelan driver Pastor Maldonado [28] will join the Enstone squad alongside Frenchman Romain Grosjean [27] for the 2014 Formula 1 season

Pastor – a veteran of 58 Grand Prix starts, including pole position and victory at the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix – has driven for Williams F1 Team since entering the sport at the start of the 2011 season.

Romain has raced for Lotus F1 Team since the start of the 2012 season, having previously driven for the Enstone outfit in its former guise of Renault F1 Team during the final seven races of the 2009 season, in addition to serving as third driver for the team in 2011.

Eric Boullier, Team Principal

“It is with great pleasure that we can formally confirm that Romain Grosjean will continue with Lotus F1 Team next season. He has really made the most of his tremendous talent over the latter part of the 2013 season and will be a fantastic asset to our 2014 challenge. Romain will be joined by Pastor Maldonado; a driver I have known since he drove for me at DAMS in the 2005 World Series by Renault season. It is clear that Pastor has pace and potential – demonstrated by his 2010 GP2 Series title success and then through strong races throughout his career at Williams F1 Team – and we are convinced that we will be able to provide the correct environment to enable him to flourish regularly on track. We have been working on our new car in alignment with the new regulations for over two years and we are confident that we have a very good solution to all the challenges ahead. With Romain and Pastor I believe Lotus F1 Team will be able to cause quite a few surprises next year.”

Romain Grosjean, Lotus F1 Team Driver

“I am very happy to have official confirmation that I will be continuing to drive for Lotus F1 Team next season. This past year has been tremendously satisfying for me. We have worked well together, and I know everyone at Enstone is motivated to continue the fight for every last point available. I am very excited about next year’s car and I cannot wait to get out on track for pre-season testing before heading to Australia for the first race of the season.”

Pastor Maldonado, 2014 Lotus F1 Team Driver

“It is a fantastic opportunity for me to join Lotus F1 Team for 2014. It’s no secret that I have wanted a change of scene to help push on with my Formula 1 career and Lotus F1 Team offered the very best opportunity for me to be competitive next season. The regulations and cars will change significantly so it is a very good time for a fresh start. I can’t wait to be racing in black and gold.”

http://lotusf1team.com/Romain-Grosjean-Pastor-Maldonado-2014-Lotus-F1-Team-Drivers.html?lang=en

Nico Hülkenberg returns to Sahara Force India with multi-year deal

Sahara Force India is delighted to confirm that Nico Hülkenberg will return to Sahara Force India in 2014 after agreeing a multi-year deal.

The 26-year-old German is no stranger to Sahara Force India having spent the 2011 and 2012 seasons with the team. The already strong working relationship will ensure a smooth transition as the team moves into the new era of Formula One™.

Sahara Force India’s full 2014 driver line-up will be announced in due course.

Dr Vijay Mallya, Team Principal and Managing Director: “I’m delighted to see Nico back with Sahara Force India. When he drove for us in 2012, it became clear Nico was an exceptional talent and he has continued to impress everyone in the paddock with his strong performances this season. Having Nico in our line-up is a real statement of intent and a huge boost for everyone associated with the team. We have high hopes and expectations for 2014 and by signing Nico we have put ourselves in the best position to achieve those objectives and enjoy what could be our most competitive season yet.”

Nico Hülkenberg: “I am happy to come back to Sahara Force India. The team is aiming high for next year and I believe that the experience I have gained over the years will help us achieve those goals. I genuinely believe we can have a competitive package in 2014. I’ve heard a lot of positive things about the Mercedes engine as well, so I think there is a lot to be excited about for next year. I know this team and I can see their determination; it’s a great bunch of people and we all share the same hunger for success.”

http://www.forceindiaf1.com/news/detail/general/nico-hulkenberg-returns-to-sahara-force-india-with-multi-year-deal

Archived