Team Canada at Sochi 2014

world atlas

Marielle Thompson is a HUGE gold medal favorite in Ski Cross! But anything can happen in ski cross; we had a couple medal favorites in men's but we came out empty handed.

I have a very, very good feeling we'll win a medal in men's team pursuit and Maltais should be able to win the 1000m short track.

I wish not to comment on men's hockey (not trying to jinx anything)

Curling is a guaranteed medal.

I'm not sure about men's 500m...Is any Canadian a medal favorite? (Besides Hamelin who won't participate)

4-man bobsleigh we have a chance to win a medal.

But man oh man... We really f-ed up on Men's Ski Cross today, we had 3 medals favorites going in, we shouldve at least come out with one medal. :/

Women's half pipe was also a dissapointment.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the 500m there is Olivier Jean, who is a former World Champion and Charle Cournoyer. Both are very talented and should be able to make it to the semis. Cournoyer is in a quarterfinal that has one other strong skater. Olivier Jean is in with Viktor Ahn and the top Korean. Maltais is in a good quarterfinal, Drolet is in a horrible quarterfinal

Looking back, I think Team Canada has already done really well; with 20 medals today (which is only 5 less than the US).

The COC was right to hope for the #1 spot on the medals chart.

These are the biggest medals they missed :

• Men's snowboard slopestyle : I still think Max Parrot was robbed at worst; misled by the judges at best.
  • Short track speed skating, men's relay : defending gold > a fall > no medal.
  • Short track speed skating, men's 1000m : a fall > no medal.
  • Short track speed skating, men's 500m : defending gold > a fall > no medal.
  • Short track speed skating, women's 1000m : defending silver > a fall > no medal.
  • Women's snowboard cross : Maelle Ricker defending gold > no medal.
  • Men's ski + snowboard cross : 7 Canadians, no medals
  • In other events: between JJ Anderson, Spencer O'Brien, Roz Groenewoud, Justin Dorey, Kaya Turski, Seb Toutant, Alex Beaulieu-Marchand - I definitely expected at least 1 of them to medal
  • Luge : Canada finished fourth in 3 events. The margin: 0.1 second (team relay), 0.15 second (doubles), 0.43 second (women's singles) - all very close to bronze
  • Men's moguls was our best chance at a sweep, with Marc-Antoine Gagnon finishing fourth, 1.01 point away from joining Bilodeau & Kingsbury on the podium
  • In total : I'm calling 9-12 medals falling short of expectations (which would've brought Canada to 29 right now)

"

• Short track speed skating, men's 500m : defending gold > a fall > no medal.
  • Short track speed skating, women's 1000m : defending silver > a fall > no medal."

those events haven't finished yet and still have Canadians in them.

They're not finished, but losing a top medal contender is not exactly what they hoped for either.

All eyes on Cournoyer and Jean (but tough competition with Victor An of Russia) + Maltais and Drolet.

Nah, honestly Canada going 1-2 is the best Canada could have hoped for. Just makes some of the near misses in luge and ski cross that much more painful. 3 medals there and Canada would have been at 26 medals despite a lot of misfortune. Though at 8 gold medals Canada is only about 2 short of where the COC thought Canada would be at 10 (and with hockey and curling left, it could still happen)

Archived