Team Canada at Sochi 2014

world atlas

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow huge dissapointment by the Ski Cross team. We had so many medal favorites going in, but weren't even able to win one?!

Ski cross and snowboard cross are really unpredictable. To get a medal, athletes must survive 3 elimination rounds. Each time, they have a 50% chance of getting wiped out. And as we've seen in almost every race, at least one skier always falls. It's just really unpredictable. It all depends on your heat, your starting position, and hoping no one will make you fall (aka a French).

Wow huge dissapointment by the Ski Cross team. We had so many medal favorites going in, but weren't even able to win one?!

Well, when there's about a dozen "medal favourites"...

Well unfortunately you can't win them all! A silver medal is still a heck of an accomplishment.

To those who are being negative about Canada's current medal totals, I was actually feeling the same way you are when a lot of our favorites didn't land on the podium, but then I look at it and I have some perspective on it:

This is sport, on the biggest stage in the world and it's extremely unpredictable. It happens. Canada is probably going to end around the 23 or so medals mark, not quite up to Torino or Vancouver, but that's still a decent total. Yes I know SI and the AP projected far more, but that's sport and that's what happens. We've done well in some events, and in others we haven't. At the end of the day our team still has done a solid job and is doing well in the overall count and is now Top 5 in the medal rankings for gold medals. So they've done well. Have they maxed out? No, but what can you do? You win some, you lose some. They are putting everything on the line to do what they can to represent Canada, if you can't be proud of that, then that's your problem. C'est La vie!

I say, Good Job to the Canadians who have represented us!

Archived