Team Canada at Sochi 2014

world atlas

AS for medals- I think the Winter Olympics (and Summer too) are getting more and more competitive.... look at the NEDs in speed skating, Australia in Freestyle, China in skating etc..... lots of countries are putting in the bucks and improving their performance. Even Korea who was powering up the leaderboard over the last few Games has come to a halt with increased competition in Short Track.

It's getting tougher out there!

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20-25 is not good enough IMO.

We were expected to easily win 30 medals...

We need some miracles, some more Denny Morrison like moments. Hopefully we can win multiple medals in the Snowboard cross event tomorrow, we're not expected to win any in that event, but we have some solid snowboarders giving us a chance.

And also the women's Shorttrack event tomorrow (I believe its 1000m or 1500m). Hopefully we can win something in that..

Then hopefully someone like Kaitlyn Osmond can win a medal.

This proved even more that the fix was in. Someone cannot break a world record just ten minutes after someone else does. Even Usain Bolt doesn't set world records every time he competes. Ice dance and synchronized swimming are a joke and an embarrassment to the Olympic movement.

Figure skating scores inflate over time and further inflate during the Olympics. I don't think its a fix per say, but the judging in that sport does need to be reviewed.

^^ It is never easy getting 30 medals. Even in Vancouver, we won 26 medals out of 258 medals handed out. That's 10%. So even with 12 new events in Sochi, 30 medals for Canada would still mean winning 10% of the medals, as there are now 294 handed out (295 with the double bronze). We'd all agree that Vancouver was a success, but despite some early disappointments in 2010, everything else that needed to go right did.

As mentioned above, being good at sports like hockey and curling don't produce lots of medals. And we are not a power in the medal-rich alpine skiing, biathlon and cross-country. So to reach 25-30 medals, we have to win in short track, long track, freestyle skiing and snowboarding. Short track is always unpredictable even for the favourites, and the Dutch are unstoppable this year in long track. That's sports. You can some, you lose some, no matter how prepared you are.

I'm changing my prediction of 20 to 19 medals now.

Snowboard cross is so much fun to watch though!

Too bad all of the Canadians were wiped out, fell or disqualified.

Canada already has 15 plus a medal in women's hockey. Both Jacobs and Jones are a win away from a medal, given the way they are playing that win should come.

Keillie Humphuries in women's bobsleigh, would be utterly shocking for Canada 1 to not medal

Men's hockey, they are playing within the top 4 teams in the tournament so far, so good chance they will at least play for a medal.

Valjas and Harvey have a chance in the team sprint

Noah Bowman, Mike Riddle and Justin Dorey are all capable of winning a medal in men's halfpipe

Roz Groenewoud and Keltie Hensen both have the skill to medal in women's ski halfpipe

Chris del Bosco, Dave Duncan, Brady Leman, Kelsey Serwa and gold-medal favourite Marielle Thomspon in men's and women's ski cross

All 3 Canadians in the two remaining individual short track distances have the skill to medal

3000m relay, 1 in 4 chance at a medal

Despite a weak season, all 3 Canadian men have the ability to medal in either alpine snowboarding event and Caroline Calve in the women's.

Both pursuit teams have the skill to medal, the men significantly moreso given the confidence of Denny Morrison.

Praise Jesus the 3000m Relay produced a medal.

Would have been the Olympics to break the medal streak, eh? Seven times the event has been run, seven medals for Canada.

Still, talk about horror Olympics for the short track team. At least 3 great medal chances (potentially all gold) gone due to falls :/

Canada already has 15 plus a medal in women's hockey. Both Jacobs and Jones are a win away from a medal, given the way they are playing that win should come.

Keillie Humphuries in women's bobsleigh, would be utterly shocking for Canada 1 to not medal

Men's hockey, they are playing within the top 4 teams in the tournament so far, so good chance they will at least play for a medal.

Valjas and Harvey have a chance in the team sprint

Has it been confirmed Valjas will do the sprint instead of Kershaw?

Noah Bowman, Justin Dorey and Mike Riddle have all qualfied for the ski halfpipe final. New Zealand has also qualified 3 to the final, France has qualified 2 and so has USA.

Canada 1 set a track record by almost 1 second, than USA 1 set a new SR and TR just after. After the first round, there is such a seperation between USA 1 and 2 and Canada 1 that it would be shocking to see anymore else come close to those 3. But given this is Canada..... Surprisingly Belgium 1 and Netherlands 1 are 4th and 5th.

So only Valerie Maltais, Olivier Jean and Charle Cournoyer are left to try to get 3 additional medals to match the 2 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze from Vancouver.

Tomorrow could be a good day for Canada.

2-Woman Bobsleigh, unless Canada 1 makes a huge mistake they will get Canada another silver

Intoronto, official website says it is Kershaw and Harvey, other sources had said it was Valjas.

Men's Team Sprint, I doubt a medal is coming here but cross country results have been real surprising. I mean if you told me Russia would have 19 medals but only 3 from cross country and biathlon, I'd have asked what y'all were smoking.

Jennifer Jones and Brad Jacobs are a win away from at least a silver medal. Hopefully both get it done vs. Britain and China instead of having to fit for the bronze.

Canada plays Latvia (like wtf happened in men's hockey, 4 various sizes of upsets so far), a win will play for a medal.

Lambert, Morison, Anderson and Calve all go in alpine snow boarding.

So currently sitting at 17 medals. With two wins in curling plus bobsleigh, Canada would finish with at least 21 medals.

And I believe that the 14 gold and 37 medal total are now safe for another 4 years.

I believe are current ceiling for medals is 27 to 29.

So we have 18 medals..

+2 from curling

+2 from hockey

+1 from womens bobsled

+1 from Short track (Maltais)

+2 from Ski Cross

Thats at least 26 medals we should be able to have. We're strong medal favorites in all those events.

Then there's events like Women's Figure Skating, 4menBobsled, Speed Skating Team Pursuits, and Cross Country team sprint...where we might be able to win a medal.

30 medals is still a possibility for Canada, but we'll need "Denny Morrison Like" moments.

Archived