Team Canada at Sochi 2014

world atlas

Tough for Le Guellec, had the lead after the second shoot, but fell and was totally out of it after that.

Gough and McRae with a decent start in the luge, doesn't look like there'll be much in it for medals.

Great stuff from Bilodeau and Kingsbury in the qualies, really looked the class fo the field.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gough would have to lay down two great runs to move up into medal contention.

Based on SI's predictions we are down to 27 medals if we win in all their predicted events, while if we go by infostrada we are at a possible 31 medals. Biggest difference is that infostrada believes that Nesbitt has recovered.

Loss to Switzerland in men's curling. Jacobs is not playing well.

Switzerland played very, very well. Not too concerned with a loss to the Swiss. Based on this years form, that game was a preview of the Gold-medal game.

Man, Alex just got away with his worse competition run of the year.

Fox if Philippe Marquis wins a medal you will never, ever have to complain about how freestyle skiing qualification works.

Why? The only reason he's there is because a half-pipe skier blew her knee. If he wins a medal you'll never hear me stop talking about it as long as it stays like it is now.

Its ridiculous that a half-pipe skier getting injured at the X-Games affects qualification for moguls.

Man, Alex just got away with his worse competition run of the year.

Why? The only reason he's there is because a half-pipe skier blew her knee. If he wins a medal you'll never hear me stop talking about it as long as it stays like it is now.

Because you won't need to say anything. It shows the stupidity of the system if someone that wasn't even on the team gets a second chance and wins a medal.

Looks like I'll need to keep talking about how much I hate the freestyle qualification system. Top 3 from final 2 are Canadians, so they will be the last 3 to drop in during final 3.

Bilodeau and Kingsbury did it despite the insane pressure they where both under. Can't overstate how impressed I am with both of them. Bilodeau's wining run is one of the best moguls run I've ever seen.

Great way for arguably the best rivalry in the sport's history to end.

Gold for Bilodeau - 26.31 (CAN)

Silver for Kingsbury - 24.71 (CAN)

Bronze for Smyshlyaev - 24.34 (RUS)

Gagnon was close to the podium, but realistically, he never scored higher than 24.16 (in run 2)

Bilodeau scored the highest overall on that course, so I'm glad the medal reflects that achievement.

(I'm still bitter about Max Parrot scoring the highest overall in snowboard slopestyle and ending up with no medal)

So by the end of Day 3 in Vancouver; Canada had 1 Gold, 2 Silver and 1 Bronze. So far Canada has 3 Gold, 3 Silver, 1 Bronze. Based on predictions from SI as of now it was 4-4-3. In saying that though thought it was a bit much for Canada to win medals in Alpine Skiing. So my opinion is despite everything we are on track.

As for tomorrow:

Men's Cross Country Sprint. I'm giving it a 3/10

Pairs Short Program. Before the team trophy I would say Canada had a 5/10 at a medal. With the performance of the second Russian pair, going to put it at 2/10

Women's Luge. Not sure, Gough had an up-and-down qualification and is out of it by about 0.2, anything can happen and those in front of her are not the most consistent in the world. But 2/10

Women's Ski Slopestyle. No idea what is gonna happen here given the snowboard judging. Could be a double medal event of a no medal event, give Howell a 6/10 and Turski a 8/10.

Tomorrow is a huge day. Predicted to win 3 medals by SI (1 Gold, 2 Bronze). Infostrada (which is most accurately reflecting our medal results) predicts 4 medals (1 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze).

That was a hell of a run from Bilodeau, no run all competition within a point and a half of him. Tough for Gagnon in fourth. A great day!

I had mixed emotions when Gagnon came in third, knowing it had to be him, or Kingsbury. Oh well, wtill proud of all 4 Canadians skiers today.

So by the end of Day 3 in Vancouver; Canada had 1 Gold, 2 Silver and 1 Bronze. So far Canada has 3 Gold, 3 Silver, 1 Bronze. Based on predictions from SI as of now it was 3-4-3. In saying that though thought it was a bit much for Canada to win medals in Alpine Skiing. So my opinion is despite everything we are on track.

Realistically at the Olympics there are always favourites that falter and upsets that take place. Canada is doing as well as any other countries at the moment.

So by the end of Day 3 in Vancouver; Canada had 1 Gold, 2 Silver and 1 Bronze. So far Canada has 3 Gold, 3 Silver, 1 Bronze. Based on predictions from SI as of now it was 3-4-3. In saying that though thought it was a bit much for Canada to win medals in Alpine Skiing. So my opinion is despite everything we are on track.

A good day for Canada; now sitting 1st in the medals table.

All 3 medals today were won by Quebecers!

I do think we're short 2 realistic medals in the predictions so far. Many were hoping for 1 more in men's and 1 in women's slopestyle, considering we had 3 X Games champions, all under-performing (Parrot, Toutant and O'Brien). On the other hand, Gold/Silver for women's moguls was a surprise; I don't think many expected Kearney to end up with Bronze.

A day-by-day comparison with Vancouver isn't really a direct measure of our success because the order of events is different.

Plus, like Fox said, we've won some we weren't favoured for, and lost ones we were favourites for. As long as they keep balancing each other out, we should be happy.

I think we've only left 2 medals on the table. And slopestyle is so unpredictable. Don't think anyone would have guessed that podium. A second medal in men's slopestyle and women's slopestyle.

For Chloe, Justine, Mikael and Alex to deliver like they did is amazing.

All 7 medals were predicted, just not always the colour. We have yet to win an unexpected medal.

Gangwon, you can because 5 of the medals were won in events that would have already been completed in Vancouver. There is little movement in the order of events in the first week.

Just as a comparison, Canada had 7 medals 6 days into Vancouver.

Tomorrow should be a tougher day, but there is still room for optimism. We have four women that can realistically win a medal in ski slopestyle (though as we've seen in the snowboarding version of the sport, there is no guarantees), Alex Harvey is an outside shot for a medal in the men's sprint and I guess it isn't impossible for Gough to come back to win a medal, but it will be extremely tough.

The US should finally get a gold medal from something other than a new event on that day, too.

All eyes on Kaya Turski and Dara Howell tomorrow in women's ski slopestyle.

Turski claimed gold in the last 2 X Games (and 3 of the last 4). Pegged as a favorite.

Howell claimed bronze in 2 of the last 3 X Games. In contention, but long shot IMO.

But as we've seen with snowboard, anything can happen so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Archived