Team Canada at Sochi 2014

world atlas

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its funny, An American wins a gold medal everyone thought a Canadian would win, and a Canadian wins a gold medal everyone thought an American would win. Oh well.

Kind of equals out I guess. Both Canada and the US had a pretty good day of competition.

Interesting to note that if Kearney had won the podium would have featured the top 3 ranked mogul skiers in the world in order.

It's been almost 12 hours since slopestyle final. After looking through the recaps, I still don't understand the scores.

- the judges have awarded gold to a run that had a prominent hand-drag (and lean-back)

- Parrot scored 97.5 in qualifications (highest score overall), yet the exact same run with no mistake gave him 87.25 in finals - can someone explain what went wrong?

- is it accurate to say that the railings were overvalued and the triple corks were undervalued compared to an X Games ? (I certainly think so)

I'm okay with the podium. I just want to understand what standard was used to calculate these scores.

It's been almost 12 hours since slopestyle final. After looking through the recaps, I still don't understand the scores.

- the judges have awarded gold to a run that had a prominent hand-drag (and lean-back)

- Parrot scored 97.5 in qualifications (highest score overall), yet the exact same run with no mistake gave him 87.25 in finals - can someone explain what went wrong?

- is it accurate to say that the railings were overvalued and the triple corks were undervalued compared to an X Games ? (I certainly think so)

I'm okay with the podium. I just want to understand what standard was used to calculate these scores.

I feel like the judges wanted to make a statement over what they want Slopestyle to be in the future (more based on style than technicality) and decided that the Olympics was the best time to do that. IMO they had strong stylistic biases.

Canadian sisters get gold and silver, . Suck it USA :P

that's the spirit!

i'm sure we'll meet again. prolly in like 10 minutes because the wog only has like 5 competitive countries in most sports (where did germany go?).

I feel like the judges wanted to make a statement over what they want Slopestyle to be in the future (more based on style than technicality) and decided that the Olympics was the best time to do that. IMO they had strong stylistic biases.

Maybe that's the intent. But they're not going to change the sport that way. It may work in figure skating. Not snowboard.

Reading the reactions of veterans X Games commentators (ESPN, Dew Tours, and Craig McMorris himself) and several snowboard athletes in Sochi, it's clear that despite the prestige of an Olympic medal, the truth is they only happen every 4 years. These guys will go back to competing every 6/8 months in X Games and World Cups, which reward very different criteria and which have much more influence on the sport than the Olympics.

The Olympics will have to adapt, not the other way around.

But I'm just blabbering here :)

Stop that. since 2010 Canada's nemesis at the OWGs has officially been Russia. The Yanks are all right. A bit OTT at times, but all right. ;)

The Russians? I don't wish them any injuries. That's about as charitable as I can be. Though the loved the pairs in the Team short--figure skating at its very best.

Canadian sisters get gold and silver, . Suck it USA :P

Stop that. since 2010 Canada's nemesis at the OWGs has officially been Russia. The Yanks are all right. A bit OTT at times, but all right. ;)

The Russians? I don't wish them any injuries. That's about as charitable as I can be. Though the loved the pairs in the Team short--figure skating at its very best.

Have I missed something? How has Russia become Canada's nemesis. I'll be happy for the Russian athletes as I would for any other... As long as the host plays fair.

Archived