Team Canada at Sochi 2014

world atlas

Charles Hamelin hopes to carry Canadian flag at Sochi Olympics opening ceremony

There are four men’s short track speed skating events scheduled at this winter’s Sochi Olympics. But Canadian star Charles Hamelin is hoping for one more.

The 800 metre stadium march, with flag.

Hamelin, the defending Olympic champion in the 500 metres and 5,000 metre relay events, was asked on Tuesday if there has been much talk about him being named the Canadian opening ceremony flag-bearer in Sochi.

“Yes,” the personable native of Sainte-Julie, Que., replied without hesitation.

Nothing is official yet. The Canadian flag-bearer will be named on Jan. 24 on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. But Hamelin — based on his two golds in Vancouver in 2010, his silver medal at the 2006 Turin Olympics and eight world championships golds — is considered the favourite to carry the flag in Sochi and would be absolutely thrilled if chosen to do so.

“I’d do it with a lot of pride,” he said. “If I get the opportunity, you’ll see a really, really big smile on my face.”

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wanted to make a comment about the cross-country skiers (and a few others) not performing well yet. Too often over the 15ish years I have watched Canadian sport, Canadians will do well on the World Cup/World Championship circuit and than when their rivals peak at the Olympics/Worlds, they do not have another level. Most recently it was Melissa Hollingsworth and Denny Morrison in Vancouver and Dylan Armstrong in London (amongst others). So hopefully over the Tour de Ski and the remaining time before Sochi, the Apline, and cross-country skiers get get their performances together and peak for a medal at the Olympics.

I just wanted to make a comment about the cross-country skiers (and a few others) not performing well yet. Too often over the 15ish years I have watched Canadian sport, Canadians will do well on the World Cup/World Championship circuit and than when their rivals peak at the Olympics/Worlds, they do not have another level. Most recently it was Melissa Hollingsworth and Denny Morrison in Vancouver and Dylan Armstrong in London (amongst others). So hopefully over the Tour de Ski and the remaining time before Sochi, the Apline, and cross-country skiers get get their performances together and peak for a medal at the Olympics.

The alpine guys are starting to peak. It's just up to the cross country and speed skaters at this point to do the same. (Although there aren't anymore speed skating world cups until March so idk what will happen there)

Canadian hockey fans, Kevin Dineen and his assistants Danielle Goyette and Lisa Haley released the 21 names for the 2014 Canadian women's Olympic hockey team this morning! Hayley Wickenheiser headlines this for her 5th Olympic appearance! :)

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/kevin-dineen-puts-his-stamp-canadian-women-hockey-roster.html

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/team-canada-olympic-winter-games-roster-women.html

CBC News video:

http://olympics.cbc.ca/videos/video/women-olympic-hockey-team-roster-reaction.html

Guillaume Bastille's appeal of the short track selection process has been denied, so Francois Hamelin is still on the team. Arriane Jones qualified as the third women's sled in Luge and Dave Duncan is now pre-qualified for Ski Cross after winning two world cups in a row.

Jeremy Wotherspoon was so close to qualifying for Sochi but won't sad.gif

But about 10 athletes hit below 35 seconds. Canada without a doubt has the most depth in the 500 distance for men.

Jamie Gregg, William Dutton, Gilmore Junio and Muncef Ouardi were the top 4 and have a chance to be selected for Sochi.

Brittany Schussler will represent in the 3000m women and Mathieu Giroux in the 5000m.

Nesbitt, Marsha Hudey, Anastasia Bucsis and Danielle Wotherspoon-Gregg were the top 4 in the women's 500.

COC promo:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTUoa4rmPWI&feature=youtu.be

Also is anyone annoyed by Speed skating Canada;s selections? One race determines all and Morrison won't be in the 1000m race even though he has the best time by a Canadian this year.

which athletes are the hopes of Canada for gold medal in Sochi, in speed skating?

Usually I enjoy seeing the host nation enjoy success at their own Games, but I would love to see Canada take out no.1 spot in 2014, if only just to stick it to Putin. Is this a realistic hope?

Depends on if you are talking about golds or overall medals. I would say Canada has a good shot to win the most golds again, however I expect Norway and the United States to win more medals total. Norway (and maybe the United States) will probably be Canada's biggest challenger in taking the top spot for gold.

But however Canada does, Russia will not be anywhere near the top of the medal table, so Putin will be embarassed anyways.

Usually I enjoy seeing the host nation enjoy success at their own Games, but I would love to see Canada take out no.1 spot in 2014, if only just to stick it to Putin. Is this a realistic hope?

Not just for Canada but Norway, USA and maybe Germany. Russia won't be first, and most likely not even top 3.

• 2 weeks later...

So Infostrada has Canada winning 31 medals including 11 gold. Most predictions I agree with except I do not think Canada is going to win bronze in the team trophy. Anything less than silver would be a huge surprise.

Alpine Skiing: 1 bronze

Bobsleigh: 1 silver

Curling: 1 silver, 1 bronze

Figure Skating: 1 gold, 2 silver

Freestyle Skiing: 3 gold, 4 silver, 2 bronze

Ice Hockey: 1 silver, 1 bronze (men's silver, women's bronze)

Luge: 2 bronze

Short Track Speed skating: 2 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze

Skeleton: 1 bronze

Snowboarding: 3 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

Speed Skating: 1 silver, 1 bronze

32 medals, 9 of which are gold.

Women's bronze in hockey???? Are you high???

Maybe he means silver..lol It's always been Canada and USA for Gold/Silver. It ain't gonna change this time around.

Btw, I'm really liking Canada's medal hopes this Olympics. We should top our overall medal numbers achieved in Vancouver. For us to be #1 in Overall medals we have to win some surprise medals in Cross Country Skiing

No, it's honestly not. The sport is a joke. There's no way Canada/USA don't meet in the final.

What scares me is Canada's first two games are vs Swiss and Finns are they going to think this is going to be easy and look past these games and lose one then if they finish 3rd with this new format they would play Russia or Sweden.

What scares me is Canada's first two games are vs Swiss and Finns are they going to think this is going to be easy and look past these games and lose one then if they finish 3rd with this new format they would play Russia or Sweden.

Jayme, have you watched any women's hockey before? Canada and the US are so much better than the other countries that's it's comparable to Canada playing Austria or Slovenia in men's hockey every game. There is such a large gap that whoever Canada faces, they will still win, unless of course it's against the United States, which will be a grudge match. If anything the new format says so much about how much of a joke the sport is ATM.

They will face Switzerland and Finland and think it will be easy, because it will be.

Jayme, have you watched any women's hockey before? Canada and the US are so much better than the other countries that's it's comparable to Canada playing Austria or Slovenia in men's hockey every game. There is such a large gap that whoever Canada faces, they will still win, unless of course it's against the United States, which will be a grudge match. If anything the new format says so much about how much of a joke the sport is ATM.

They will face Switzerland and Finland and think it will be easy, because it will be.

You think its going to be easy sometime you lose look at the world juniors.

I'm willing to bet that if all goes as expected, the U.S. and Canada beating the living daylights out of everyone else in women's hockey, then the odds grow that women's hockey will be booted out of the Games after 2014, though the IOC has no problem with the Chinese monopoly of table tennis and badminton in the Summer Games.

Canada is under a bit of turmoil right now with the aburpt coaching change, questionable player choices and poor performances agains the Americans. It is easy to think that against Finland or Russia even in a semi-final, that they could suffer a hot goalie or a letdown in play and lose. It happened to the Americans in 06 after all.

Archived