Team Canada at Sochi 2014

world atlas

The process to qualify the Canadian curling teams has started. Because of less than stellar results on one side of the curling sheet over the last 8 years a new two tiered system was put in place to ensure a strong, consistent team qualifies for the Olympics.

The first phase is a triple elimination tournament where the top two teams will head to the main qualifying tournament in December.

Olympic Gold Medalist John Morris and Brad Gushue have posted early wins, current Canadian champion Brad Jacobs lost his opener.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seems to be a problem with Christine Nesbitt! She isn't get the results like she should be.

Ya, its weird. Pretty sure something has to be going on :/

So the curling trials are set

Kevin Martin, Glenn Howard, Jeff Stoughton, Kevin Koe, Mike McEwen, John Epping, John Morris (who was on K-Mart's gold medal winning team) and Brad Jacobs will compete in the men's field (or put another way 8 of the 10 best men's teams in the world will be competing to join Sweden, Britain and Norway in the pursuit of a medal).

Based on winnability at the Olympics, the first 3 would be the best. McEwen has a lot of great results but can never get out of Manitoba to get into the Brier.

Jennifer Jones, Heather Nedohin, Rachel Homan, Sherry Middaugh, Stefanie Lawton, Chelsea Carey, Renee Sonnenberg and Valerie Sweeting will compete for the women's spot.

I really want Homan to win, and really, really don't want Nedohin to go. Winnability is best with Jones, but just to keep with tradition I think Lawton will win.

I really want Homan to win, and really, really don't want Nedohin to go. Winnability is best with Jones, but just to keep with tradition I think Lawton will win.

Tradition?

I think he mean's that the women's winner is always a surprise.

To be fair, is there even really a favourite this year? Canada doesn't dominate women's curling in the same way it dominates men's curling - there is a lot of depth but not really any teams that stand out. Jennifer Jones is the closest thing to a favourite and even she isn't that far ahead of the teams that where in the pre-trials.

Since when did the US care about losers?

Winning a silver or bronze medal (oooh, a medal!) is like getting a tap on the shoulder from your grandma.

2nd place is the first loser.

while i agree that to NBC you're only a winner if you can deliver a tearful hand-over-heart podium performance worthy of primetime, quantity over quality is a most american trait.

To be fair, is there even really a favourite this year? Canada doesn't dominate women's curling in the same way it dominates men's curling - there is a lot of depth but not really any teams that stand out. Jennifer Jones is the closest thing to a favourite and even she isn't that far ahead of the teams that where in the pre-trials.

Well, it's a little surprising that Jones has never represented Canada considering all of her accolades, so I hope she wins.

Well, it's a little surprising that Jones has never represented Canada considering all of her accolades, so I hope she wins.

I think Jones is the best bet for an Olympic gold medal, and she has the most accomplishments of the bunch. But I don't really think of her as a favourite because of how even the entire field is. There is really no such thing as an upset in the women's trials since they are all so even.

I think Jones is the best bet for an Olympic gold medal, and she has the most accomplishments of the bunch. But I don't really think of her as a favourite because of how even the entire field is. There is really no such thing as an upset in the women's trials since they are all so even.

Well I think the funny thing is that for the last few trials the favourite has probably been Jonss.

Speaking of Canadian Olympic surprises, Tessa Bonhomme just got dropped from the Canadian women's hockey team consideration. She couldn't recover fully in time from a crushed nerve and a bout with shingles. As talented and recognizable she is in the women's game, it was shocking from the outset she got cut this early. One poster says Canada women's head coach Dan Church and his staff felt she'd be a liability against the Americans' speed.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=436462

• 4 weeks later...

Well the results for the Canadian Olympic Curling Trials have been surprising.

Sherry Middaugh vs. Jennifer Jones in the women's final (Go JJ, Jo Anne Rizzo is a b!tch who produced devil spawn offspring)

John Morris vs. Brad Jacobs

Middaugh is too up and down of a curler. She could just as easily finish 2-7 and 7-2 but her style matches up really well against Muirhead and Sigfridsson. Hopefully JJ comes through.

Morris vs. Jacobs, don't care who goes through, both have an excellent chance at a medal.

It is too early to predict. But 9 to 12 is where I think we will be. Curling, hockey and speed skating (both) will be important for overall golds, since Canada could easily win 8 gold between those 4 sports or 0. With luge, skeleton, bobsleigh and cross country important to overall medals.

Surprised no-one's posted this:

Komak the moose unveiled as Canada's official mascot for Sochi 2014

Komak_made_his_first_public_appearance_a

December 6 - Komak the moose has been unveiled as Canada's official mascot for the 2014 Sochi Olympic Games.

Making his first public appearance at St. Lawrence Catholic Elementary School and Gore Park in Hamilton, Ontario, Komak was joined by two-time Olympic ice hockey gold medallist Cheryl Pounder; Salt Lake City gold medallist in ice hockey, Sami Jo Small; and Jason Burnett, who won silver on the trampoline at Beijing 2008.

Sporting his nation's traditional red and white kit, Komak, alongside Pounder, Small and Burnett, met with hundreds of school children to share the Canadian Olympic School Programme (COSP) - an initiative designed to provide educators with values-based resources that celebrate the Olympic Movement in Canada and across the world, hoping to spark excitement for the Olympics in the classroom and throughout the school.

"As Olympians, we often have the privilege of meeting children and fans from many parts of the country, but today was unlike any other day for me," said Burnett.

"The joy and excitement displayed by the kids at St. Lawrence was truly incredible to see.

"They reminded me of just how powerful the Olympic Movement can be."
Michael Goffredo, Principal at St. Lawrence Catholic Elementary School added: "Seeing the reaction on the faces of our students this afternoon was absolutely wonderful.

"To have our school chosen as the first place in Canada to see and meet one of Canada's enduring symbols at the upcoming Olympic Games is a true honour.

"I know our students will remember this moment for a long time."

Komak, whose antlers are designed to mirror the map of Canada, was also part of the city's "Tree of Hope" Lighting Ceremony, alongside Mayor Bob Bratina.

"Today was an absolute treat for our community," said Bratina.

"I am so happy and proud that Hamilton was included, in such a unique way, in the buzz being created in the lead up to the Sochi Games."

Steve Podborski, Chef de Mission for Canada's Olympic team in Sochi, described Komak as a "true representation of the Canadian Olympic spirit and the values of Excellence, Friendship and Respect."

He added: "His eagerness and youthful personality will be fantastic assets to the Canadian contingent heading to Russia next February.

"I know adults and children alike will welcome him with open arms."

Komak will act as Canada's brand promoter, an ambassador to the Canadian Olympic School Programme and a Games and events attendee throughout the Sochi Winter Olympics with plans to release Komak-themed merchandise in the near future.

He becomes Canada's first official team mascot since Moomik the moose was decommissioned after the 1996 Atlanta Games and joins Pachi the Porcupine who was unveiled as the mascot for the Toronto 2015 Pan American and Parapan American Games.

Komak, whose antlers are designed to mirror the map of Canada

I don't see it?

Just wait till Oz unveils a mascot based on the map of Tasmania (a joke Aussies will get only too well)!

map-of-tasmania.jpg

Archived