Team Canada at Sochi 2014

world atlas

Canada's short track speed skating team will be unveiled today in Montreal. This will mark the first athletes officially named to the Olympic team.

Not quite. Canada still hasn't qualified a single athlete in Short Track, the athletes being named are the ones that will attempt to (and nearly certainly will) qualify.

According to Radio-Canada the team will be Charles Hamelin, Olivier Jean, Charle Cournoyer, Michael Gilday and François Hamelin on the men's side and Marianne St-Gelais, Valérie Maltais, Marie-Ève Drolet, Jessica Hewitt and Jessica Gregg on the women's side.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite. Canada still hasn't qualified a single athlete in Short Track, the athletes being named are the ones that will attempt to (and nearly certainly will) qualify.

According to Radio-Canada the team will be Charles Hamelin, Olivier Jean, Charle Cournoyer, Michael Gilday and François Hamelin on the men's side and Marianne St-Gelais, Valérie Maltais, Marie-Ève Drolet, Jessica Hewitt and Jessica Gregg on the women's side.

Correct.

I am surprised Louis Tremblay was left off, however Cournoyer was amazing during the trials

Correct.

I am surprised Louis Tremblay was left off, however Cournoyer was amazing during the trials

Well, Charles Hamelin, Cornoyer and Jean where all automatic selections from the trials, while Gilday was more or less assured a medical exemption since he was the best ranked Canadian skater last year (not to mention him being left off the team in 2010 was rather controversial). I didn't follow the trials super closely but I assume Francois Hamelin must have done enough to edge out Tremblay. Guillaume Bastille was another skater from 2010 who tried to qualify but failed to. While Bastilles is still young enough to be around for 2018 it looks like its over for Francois-Louis Tremblay. Too bad his career is ending that way.

Also, Drollet was on the Olympic team way back in 2002. Talk about doing a comeback. Still, there really wasn't any surprises on the women's side and the only real surprise on the men's side is Francois Hamelin and to a smaller extend Cornoyer. I'd say both teams are slightly stronger than in 2010, especially on the women's side.

Well this is interesting:

Canada’s Olympic program considered push in winter sports

Those behind Canada's Own the Podium program have discussed whether more funding should be put toward winning medals at the Winter Olympics at the expense of funding for Summer Olympic athletes, according to documents obtained by CBC News.

Notes taken during a board meeting last November reveal Own the Podium officials discussed whether focusing on athletes participating in the Winter Games would provide a better return on investment.

"A key question was if Canada would be No. 1 in winter (both gold and total) at the expense of summer, would we do this," the notes read.

Own the Podium CEO Anne Merklinger acknowledges such a discussion did take place.

"It is our job as a board and senior management team in the organization to make sure we continue to ask the tough questions of ourselves," Merklinger said.

"After a good, healthy discussion ... it was reinforced we need to do exactly what we are doing right now and that is to help more Canadian athletes win more medals and in a variety of contexts."

Podium Canada, more commonly known as Own the Podium, funds programs that provide Canadian athletes with coaching, training and medical support in order to help them win medals at the Olympic Games.

Currently, the program is investing more in athletes participating in the Summer Games, spending $33.8 million for the 2013-14 summer sport season.

Alternatively, for the 2013-14 winter sport season, Own the Podium has invested $23.8 million.

Despite the larger investment, Canada won 18 medals, including just one gold medal, during the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. Canada ranked 13th in overall medals.

In contrast, during the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada won 26 medals, including 14 gold medals, placing third overall in the medal count.

Merklinger says Own the Podium has made adjustments based on results, including dropping support for sports such as field hockey.

There are also plans to review how Canadian athletes perform during the upcoming Winter Olympic Games in Sochi next year.

lol, norway.

we will own the podium, like always. yawn, next.

Norway had a ridiculously good 2013 World Championship run. They got eight gold medals from Biathlon, seven from Cross Country, one from Ski Jumping and one from Alpine Skiing. That's a ludicrous seventeen gold medals from that cycle. Arguable it was a fluke (a bit like Canada's 2011 cycle was at the high end of what is reasonable) but they certainly have a high chance of topping the medal table for the first time since 2002.

Also, worth noting that the only time the US has topped the medal standing in the Winter Olympics was in 1932. They certainly have a good shot at doing it in 2014, though.

Norway had a ridiculously good 2013 World Championship run. They got eight gold medals from Biathlon, seven from Cross Country, one from Ski Jumping and one from Alpine Skiing. That's a ludicrous seventeen gold medals from that cycle. Arguable it was a fluke (a bit like Canada's 2011 cycle was at the high end of what is reasonable) but they certainly have a high chance of topping the medal table for the first time since 2002.

Also, worth noting that the only time the US has topped the medal standing in the Winter Olympics was in 1932. They certainly have a good shot at doing it in 2014, though.

Canada was 4th in that cycle with only 7 gold.

ohhh right. i forgot that you calculate medal tables COMPLETELY WRONG. my mistake, i neglected to account for your stubborn, chronic miscalculations. i was talking about the real medal tally, which of course we topped as recently as vancouver, as everyone is surely aware, taking - what was that again? - eleven more medals than canada? i believe it was eleven, certainly more than 10, but you can double check me on that to confirm that the united states took home eleven more medals than canada did at its own olympics. yes, i'm fairly certain now it was 11 come to think of it. 11 can also be written as eleven, which is one more than 10 and more than 1/3 than canada's overall medal count. that was eleven if you managed to lose track.

where were we? oh yes, winning in sochi again. yawn.

ohhh right. i forgot that you calculate medal tables COMPLETELY WRONG. my mistake, i neglected to account for your stubborn, chronic miscalculations. i was talking about the real medal tally, which of course we topped as recently as vancouver, as everyone is surely aware, taking - what was that again? - eleven more medals than canada? i believe it was eleven, certainly more than 10, but you can double check me on that to confirm that the united states took home eleven more medals than canada did at its own olympics. yes, i'm fairly certain now it was 11 come to think of it. 11 can also be written as eleven, which is one more than 10 and more than 1/3 than canada's overall medal count. that was eleven if you managed to lose track.

Sorry for following the most widely acknowledged way of ranking countries in a medal table.

Beside, the US also only won the NBC/CBC medal table twice for a winter games, 1932 and 2010. If roughly nine percent is "always" in your books then I don't know what to tell you.

Sorry for following the most widely acknowledged way of ranking countries in a medal table.

Beside, the US also only won the NBC/CBC medal table twice for a winter games, 1932 and 2010. If roughly nine percent is "always" in your books then I don't know what to tell you.

i meant always as in the next in a logical sequence: 2008, 2010, 2012 ...2014.

• 3 weeks later...

Leaked for days but are they really Canada's 2014 hockey jerseys? I like red one and the black third alternate. But I won't place it in the same league as the Vancouver ones but maybe ahead of Salt Lake City/Turin's.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/09/24/all-three-team-canada-olympic-hockey-jerseys-leaked/

I believe that you are sadly mistaken. Yes the USA topped the medal table in Vancouver, but the IOC and the vast majority of others rank the Medal Tables based on number of GOLD MEDALS won. That was Canada in Vancouver, not the USA.

Sorry, USA topped the TOTAL medals. not the medal table.

lol, norway.

we will own the podium, like always. yawn, next.

Just like in Salt Lake City, huh? Pretty amazing that a country like the US couldn't even beat a nation of under 5 million like Norway at it's own Olympics. At least Canada managed to do this in 2010.

In fact, until looking it up now, I had no idea that the US has ranked third the last three times it has hosted the Winter Olympics.

I'm wanting Canada or Norway to take out top spot in Sochi. I'd love to see the Russians humiliated.

I'm thinking there is a big chance China might top the medal tally in 2018, given their improvement over the past decade. By then too, they will probably be looking to host the Winter Olympics - possibly 2026 - so a no.1 spot in 2018 would seal the deal.

With Tokyo hosting 2020 knocking out any potential Shanghai surprise in 2028 - I think China would be nuts not to put Harbin up for 2026.

I'm thinking there is a big chance China might top the medal tally in 2018, given their improvement over the past decade. By then too, they will probably be looking to host the Winter Olympics - possibly 2026 - so a no.1 spot in 2018 would seal the deal.

With Tokyo hosting 2020 knocking out any potential Shanghai surprise in 2028 - I think China would be nuts not to put Harbin up for 2026.

Probably not. They have nothing in snow sports besides women's halfpipe in snowboard and aerials. Coupled with nothing in Hockey we are looking to 2022 and beyond for that to happen.

Norway won 17 golds in the last WC's of all the events that will be held in Sochi and Canada won 7. Its clear that Canada has its work cut out to beat Norway.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that you are sadly mistaken. Yes the USA topped the medal table in Vancouver, but the IOC and the vast majority of others rank the Medal Tables based on number of GOLD MEDALS won. That was Canada in Vancouver, not the USA.

Sorry, USA topped the TOTAL medals. not the medal table.

sorry, i didn't let this go, i just didn't see it, because my eyes typically gloss over any mention of canada.

anyway, you're wrong. that's a stupid way to rank the medal table and that's why the US will have none of that chicanery.

i really feel bad for the rest of the world that had to invent this ridiculous ranking system just so they could feel better about themselves. tsk tsk, it's just a game, show some sportsmanship.

to sum, the US topped the TOTAL medals, and the medal table too, 'cause they're the same thing, duh. whew, so glad to finally put this debate to rest once and for all.

Archived